QB Review

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

QB Review

Post by scott715 »

http://byu.scout.com/2/986834.html sounds like they are leaning toward Heaps.

WACoug
Recruit
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: QB Review

Post by WACoug »

That write up was pretty straight forward. I will say that for the most part, the "active" members of TBS are of the opinion that Heaps should and will start. This opinion comes from the first hand reports of G-Man and other contributors with TBS and well as legacy donors who were there in person for most or all of Spring camp. There were also a couple of summer workout reports before those got shut down.

There are a few posters at TBS who seem to have a personal loyalty to Nelson and who will often get personal when discussing the QB battle.

It is pretty safe to say that the vast majority of those who frequent and contribute to TBS that have actually seen the two QB's perform head to head think Heaps should and will start and that it's not really close.

And cue Sno's Nelson rebuttle in 3.....2.....1....... :whistle:

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

I thought Bronco gave some very interesting insight to the battle.
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=498&sid=11747418
Both QBs showed inconsistency in spring ball. Heaps tailed off a tad at the end and Nelson really picked up his game towards the end.

If either can show their productive form, they'll be named the starter. I really wouldn't be surprised to see Heaps maintain his consistency longer than he did in the spring - like through the entire camp. If he does this, given his upside, I really think the decision to go with him won't be all that difficult.

If Nelson starts the fall like he did in spring, I think he may be hard pressed to recover any lost ground.

I really wouldn't be surprised to see Heaps win the job by game prep week.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU

Post by jonnylingo »

heaps is going to start. With our wide receiving corps this fall, we need a gun slinger. He puts them where they need to be consistently. There will be a learning curve as to what the defenses are doing but with an oline that can protect him and wide receivers that are fast and tall, I guarantee he gets the nod. (little strong there I know)

We haven't seen a wide receiving corps this deep and talented in some time. My guess is that when Heaps starting nailing those guys for deep balls in fall practice he gets the nod as Riley will not be able to keep up with that. He has different strengths but they just don't fit in the current byu system as well. Riley has that going against him. He is very talented and I hope his talent does not go wasted.

If I am wrong I will support Riley, but I don't see him competing with Jake. Jake will struggle but after the first four games or so and as the team starts to gel, he will have a good freshman year. :)

Lawboy
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Lawboy »

kitic77 wrote:I thought Bronco gave some very interesting insight to the battle.
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=498&sid=11747418
Both QBs showed inconsistency in spring ball. Heaps tailed off a tad at the end and Nelson really picked up his game towards the end.
It all comes down to what Bronco will value more. Does he want experience, or does he want the more talented guy to play. And it really is that simple. You really can not argue that Riley is as gifted physically or as polished of a passer that Heaps is, or Munss for that matter. But Heaps lacks Nelson's D-1 experience and time in the program. All things being equal, Bronco has favored experience over raw skill pretty much all the time. Especially with leadership mixed in, or what he perceives as leadership.

I still think Nelson will start game 1 v. UW, Heaps/Munns will play and it will go that way until game 5 or so. Munns has an outside chance as well with his RS year in the program so he knows the offense, if he can shake off the mission rust. I think the outsider will be Lark, and would not be shocked to see him transfer, and I would not blame him, either

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

I will be brief, the obvious facts are:

The longer Riley is not named the starter, the worse for him. The longer a starter is not named, the worse for BYU. Rallying around 2 "leaders at the qb" position doesn't exist. If you don't start Jake this year, you should redshirt him. Phasing him in is wasting valuable game time experience he could be gaining. Bronco is going to stall this decision as long as he can to avoid transfers, which will happen anyways.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

Lawboy wrote:It all comes down to what Bronco will value more. Does he want experience, or does he want the more talented guy to play. And it really is that simple. You really can not argue that Riley is as gifted physically or as polished of a passer that Heaps is, or Munss for that matter. But Heaps lacks Nelson's D-1 experience and time in the program. All things being equal, Bronco has favored experience over raw skill pretty much all the time. Especially with leadership mixed in, or what he perceives as leadership.

I still think Nelson will start game 1 v. UW, Heaps/Munns will play and it will go that way until game 5 or so. Munns has an outside chance as well with his RS year in the program so he knows the offense, if he can shake off the mission rust. I think the outsider will be Lark, and would not be shocked to see him transfer, and I would not blame him, either
You are spot on, except for when you say that Bronco will pick Riley because of experience. Nelson has almost 0 D-1 experience, why does anyone still bring that up? going 1-7 FOUR years ago, and a few scrub minutes against 2nd and 3rd team defenses (that he didn't really even earn - Gaskins winning the job, and stepping down for the team) don't really count for much. I give you years in the program. Quite a few, never winning the starting job, or even breaking the two deep, because he is not a BYU qb. He has jittery feet like Beck did, and not half the arm strength. Plus beck can gun sling (a lazy, quick release that only qb's with strong arms can do) and nelson has to wind up. Winding completely up (think Hideo Nomo, versus a good follow through)+ Jittery feet = running the ball downfield/or interceptions when we actually throw downfield. Which is what anyone that went to every game last year saw from him. I hope to see something different from him if he gets good starting time, or a different style offense to complement his strengths and cover up his weaknesses.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like: