Jan's comments

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Short_Change
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Jan's comments

Post by Short_Change »

kitic77 wrote:It's talk radio. They decide beforehand who will take which position on a question. On the question of whether BYU would beat Washington, they decided that they would generate more ratings and discussions if they had Jan pick against BYU. This is pretty much what happened here.
I would maybe agree if it was as simple as a prediction, but it wasn't. Jan went off about how much better Wash. was and said that BYU was going to get beat bad. I don't think he was saying anything contrary to his actual opinion.

If you're right though my respect for Jan would drop even more (it's not all that high as it is).

QuarterbackU
BLUEshirt

Post by QuarterbackU »

I realize this incident may not have taken place on the "red and blue" show but when they bring your sorry butt in to do the red and BLUE show specifically it gives you a pass to shed BYU in a positive light and gives you a pass and that's what people want to hear out Jan.

What a freaking moron, I officially think this guy is a piece of crap now. Very arrogant to suggest that, now that BYU has lost his highness's third rate pass rushing prowess, they are doomed to go down in flames to a middle of the pac team...idiotic...AT HOME EVEN!!! I still have not forgiven Hans for choosing TCU in 2007 at LES. Give me a break. I'm calling in....

JamieVallen
Sophomore

Post by JamieVallen »

jonnylingo wrote:I think kyle and jan are great. I also think jan does a good job and he is very pro byu. he is not like hans who is constantly trying to come off objective.

its the only local sports show that i actually enjoy listening to. they usually are just going back and forth at each other. both are pretty quick on their feet. I know everybody hates 1280 and i agree, i hate hte other shows, but jan and kyle and fun to listen to.
Strangely enough, I totally agree with you. I think the do a descent job. I'm not saying they always do, (like this morning with Jan's remarks about the Washington game,) and even know I think Jan doesn't really have a radio voice, I somehow still find the show entertaining. but in all honesty their show doesn't really have much competition. I mean come on Jim Rome? I mean let's face it the dude is a prick, and as for Collin? He's sometimes entertaining but just about as full of himself as Jim Rome.

MTM
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU is my rival

Post by MTM »

Matt Reynolds interview being replayed on 1280 right now.

What a cool dude. Really humble, gracious guy.

jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU

Post by jonnylingo »

jmvcougar wrote:
jonnylingo wrote:I think kyle and jan are great. I also think jan does a good job and he is very pro byu. he is not like hans who is constantly trying to come off objective.

its the only local sports show that i actually enjoy listening to. they usually are just going back and forth at each other. both are pretty quick on their feet. I know everybody hates 1280 and i agree, i hate hte other shows, but jan and kyle and fun to listen to.
Strangely enough, I totally agree with you. I think the do a descent job. I'm not saying they always do, (like this morning with Jan's remarks about the Washington game,) and even know I think Jan doesn't really have a radio voice, I somehow still find the show entertaining. but in all honesty their show doesn't really have much competition. I mean come on Jim Rome? I mean let's face it the dude is a prick, and as for Collin? He's sometimes entertaining but just about as full of himself as Jim Rome.
i didn't hear jan's comments this morning but they sound lame. to say they will be their butts kicked seems pretty out there and suprising to me as someone who was playing just last year. I don't however see how people think he is a byu hater, he is very pro byu when I have listened and is the only one i have heard stand up to gunther. He studders and has like a lisp or something, but once you get over that you can appreciate that he represents byu well and says it like it is to stupid utah fans.

wierd that i am defending them but the other day i was laughing so hard in the car listening to them going back and forth at each other. it reminds me of my friends and i when we are talking smack. i agree as well. rome and collin bore me most of the time.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by SpiffCoug »

Short_Change wrote:
kitic77 wrote:It's talk radio. They decide beforehand who will take which position on a question. On the question of whether BYU would beat Washington, they decided that they would generate more ratings and discussions if they had Jan pick against BYU. This is pretty much what happened here.
I would maybe agree if it was as simple as a prediction, but it wasn't. Jan went off about how much better Wash. was and said that BYU was going to get beat bad. I don't think he was saying anything contrary to his actual opinion.

If you're right though my respect for Jan would drop even more (it's not all that high as it is).
I could post a plethora of reasons why BYU won't win and why I think Washington will win the season opener. I could make my opinion sound quite informed and be very passionaite about it too. Still doesn't mean I would believe a single word of it.

Do I really think BYU can beat Washington? No way in heck! Look at our defense. In 2008, Locker tore us apart and that with experienced line backers like David Nixon and Shawn Doman. We had some really good defensively linemen like Ian Dulan and Jan Jorgenson. This year we have inexperience across the front seven. We're really hoping that some incoming freshmen and redshirt sophomores have picked up the scheme. Oh and we've lost our defensive play caller the last two seasons in Scott Johnson. Who's going to be getting our guys in the positions?

Offensively, let's see, we just lost our winningest QB in school history, our leading rushing in school history and our all-time leading receiver. Sure, no problem. Let's just replace them with a QB who at most has 40 snaps in the last three years or a true freshman. We think we have loads of talent, but they're young and inexperienced.

Washington returns a TON of talent fron last year where they won more games than they had in a five or six years. They have a pre-season Heisman contender who tore us to shreds as a sophomore. He is now in his second year under a coach who has produced two Heisman winners. Sark knows how to get QBs to produce. They have some speedy running backs who give us fits and their WRs have speed to burn as well.

We're going to have first game jitters. Lots of new starters all over the field for the Cougars. Pressure galore coming from our history. Imagine the pressure these guys are going to feel to produce. We have a brand new starter at QB and oh, by the way, Gifford Neilsen, Marc Wilson, Jim McMahon, Steve Young, Robbie Bosco and Ty Detmer are all going to be there to watch you. Go out and make them proud.

Good luck Cougs. All the pressure is on you to continue the string of 10-win seasons.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Cougy_Monster
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Cougy_Monster »

kitic77 wrote:
Short_Change wrote:

I could post a plethora of reasons why BYU won't win and why I think Washington will win the season opener. I could make my opinion sound quite informed and be very passionaite about it too. Still doesn't mean I would believe a single word of it.

Do I really think BYU can beat Washington? No way in heck! Look at our defense. In 2008, Locker tore us apart and that with experienced line backers like David Nixon and Shawn Doman. We had some really good defensively linemen like Ian Dulan and Jan Jorgenson. This year we have inexperience across the front seven. We're really hoping that some incoming freshmen and redshirt sophomores have picked up the scheme. Oh and we've lost our defensive play caller the last two seasons in Scott Johnson. Who's going to be getting our guys in the positions?

Offensively, let's see, we just lost our winningest QB in school history, our leading rushing in school history and our all-time leading receiver. Sure, no problem. Let's just replace them with a QB who at most has 40 snaps in the last three years or a true freshman. We think we have loads of talent, but they're young and inexperienced.

Washington returns a TON of talent fron last year where they won more games than they had in a five or six years. They have a pre-season Heisman contender who tore us to shreds as a sophomore. He is now in his second year under a coach who has produced two Heisman winners. Sark knows how to get QBs to produce. They have some speedy running backs who give us fits and their WRs have speed to burn as well.

We're going to have first game jitters. Lots of new starters all over the field for the Cougars. Pressure galore coming from our history. Imagine the pressure these guys are going to feel to produce. We have a brand new starter at QB and oh, by the way, Gifford Neilsen, Marc Wilson, Jim McMahon, Steve Young, Robbie Bosco and Ty Detmer are all going to be there to watch you. Go out and make them proud.

Good luck Cougs. All the pressure is on you to continue the string of 10-win seasons.

GO COUGS!!!

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Cougy_Monster wrote:
kitic77 wrote:
Short_Change wrote:

GO COUGS!!!
That's all you've got?! Nice retort Cougar fan. Of course, I wouldn't expect much else from such a myopic fan base. There are so many reasons the Cougars won't beat Washington that you're just too blind to see. I wish Cougar fans weren't such dolts and high and mighty. You guys just love to believe all your new players are better than the old ones. That you guys don't rebuild, you don't even reload! You just keep setting them up and knocking them down.

Oh wait! No you don't. Anytime you run up against some athletic team you guys get worked! You simply don't have the speed to keep up with the big boys. Washington's Pac-10 BCS talent is going to run circles around you guys!

(see how convincing my opinion is? - and I don't believe a word of it!)

(8.4x
..................ATT
Short_Change
Freshman

Post by Short_Change »

kitic77 wrote:
Short_Change wrote:

I think you're missing my whole point. I understand that there are valid points for BYU losing to Washington, but I can't believe that a true and educated Cougar fan would believe that we'd get blown out at home to Washington.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Short_Change wrote:I think you're missing my whole point. I understand that there are valid points for BYU losing to Washington, but I can't believe that a true and educated Cougar fan would believe that we'd get blown out at home to Washington.
He doesn't believe it. He went to the pre-production meeting and it was decided that the station could generate more discussion and maybe get a bump in the ratings if they had Jan, the former BYU player, pick the upset.

(8.4x
..................ATT