Jake Heaps Story

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
vancouvercougar
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Jake Heaps Story

Post by vancouvercougar »

jonnylingo wrote:
vancouvercougar wrote:
byucougar1 wrote: With his developed skill set he led Skyline High School in Sammamish to three consecutive state titles and finished with a 40-2 record as a starter.
I'd love for Jake to be 40-2 as a starter at BYU.
I will only be happy with 42-0
Technically, Jake could go 52 - 0 counting bowl games.

jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU

Post by jonnylingo »

Interesting part of that story is when he told his whole team to not drink or smoke so they could make a real run at the state title. the whole team followed his lead and made a pact to not drink and smoke.

redneckjedi
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by redneckjedi »

vancouvercougar wrote:
jonnylingo wrote:
vancouvercougar wrote:
byucougar1 wrote: With his developed skill set he led Skyline High School in Sammamish to three consecutive state titles and finished with a 40-2 record as a starter.
I'd love for Jake to be 40-2 as a starter at BYU.
I will only be happy with 42-0
Technically, Jake could go 52 - 0 counting bowl games.
He could go 53 - 0, since we play at Hawaii in 2013 and get an extra game. 54 - 0 if whatever conference we are in at that point has a championship game. 15 - 0 in one season sounds pretty awesome. :)

If the yewts take the field and there are no BYU fans to pour beer on, will anybody come?
sage
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by sage »

dmcougar wrote:...
Ok, Lawboy. At the risk of sounding contentious, can we stop with the whole "deflate your expectations" diatribes? Are you talking to CC readers and posters, your neighbors (who probably arent reading) or random BYU fans. Maybe you are hedging against your own muted expectations or setting yourself up to be a sage. "Hope for the best, expect the worst, and be surprised with the outcomes"--We get it.
Hey, somebody trying to move in on my territory? :D ;)

Postby Mars » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:28 am

" Heaps has a fiery, competitive side, too. Skyline faced O'Dea High in the state championship game when Heaps was a sophomore. Trailing 28-7 midway through the third quarter, Skyline's hopes were dim. But not to Heaps, who shrugged off an early interception. On the sideline, he was challenging and motivating his teammates. "We're still in this!" he yelled. "We can do it!" Heaps helped guide Skyline to a huge comeback that resulted in a 42-35 victory. The Spartans outscored O'Dea 35-7 in the final quarter-and-a-half of the game. "Every throw he made was spot-on," remembers Taylor. "That was when we knew we had a special kid."
I love the competitiveness. But I often wonder at the philosophy of the qb who mounts a great comeback, as opposed to the ones who are able to win from ahead, and not get behind. They both equal a win, but I would expect more qbs win when they are ahead in crunch time than those who have to come from behind (although it surely makes for more drama when they pull it off) Of course, maturity might play a role in it, and he will get that.