FINALLY . . . It's Over!!!

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Schmoe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: FINALLY . . . It's Over!!!

Post by Schmoe »

Yeah, let's all celebrate that there's nothing to watch but baseball until football season starts again...baseball...

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
cougarsunited
Freshman

Post by cougarsunited »

The World Cup is BY FAR AND WIDE the greatest sporting event on the planet. NOTHING comes even close to it. It makes the Super Bowl and anything here dometically look like Saturday morning girls softball (that comparison acutally isn't all that far off).

I am sad it's over...

Sammich
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Sammich »

You made one mistake in your post, I fixed it to more accurately reflect what you meant:
cougarsunited wrote:The World Cup is BY FAR AND WIDE the most boring sporting event on the planet. NOTHING comes even close to it.
I totally agree and couldn't have said it better myself.

Sammich
Senior

Post by Sammich »

Schmoe wrote:Yeah, let's all celebrate that there's nothing to watch but baseball until football season starts again...baseball...
Although strangely, I also agree with this post. Stupid summer sports!

mraven
Recruit

Post by mraven »

No offense, but soccer sucks. When scoring a single goal in 90 minutes of play is often enough to win the game, then the sport has serious issues. Not to mention the fact that half the time the stupid games end in a tie. A tie! As in, no winner! Huh? That's fun? I know that changes during the knock-out stages of a tournament, but really? Oh, and then there's the enormous amount of flopping, whining, and general writhing on the ground in fake pain, and it's all I can do to keep from laughing at the stupidity of the sport. But again, no offense to those of you who like it.

ABYUFAN
Pro

Post by ABYUFAN »

This thread is in the wrong "football" forum :gross:

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Hey the Tour de France is still goinog. Well since Armstrong fell three times in yesterday race, he says it is over. So strike that thought.

CougarClaw
Pro

Post by CougarClaw »

mraven wrote:No offense, but soccer sucks. When scoring a single goal in 90 minutes of play is often enough to win the game, then the sport has serious issues. Not to mention the fact that half the time the stupid games end in a tie. A tie! As in, no winner! Huh? That's fun? I know that changes during the knock-out stages of a tournament, but really? Oh, and then there's the enormous amount of flopping, whining, and general writhing on the ground in fake pain, and it's all I can do to keep from laughing at the stupidity of the sport. But again, no offense to those of you who like it.
Everyone is entitled to which sports they like. but your reasoning doesn't make sense. Are you telling me you didn't enjoy BYU's win over UCLA because UCLA didn't score? Or if you say that you did like the game because BYU scored so MUCH, what about Utah's 3-0 win over BYU? Tell me THAT game didn't matter because it was low-scoring.

Take baseball - a baseball "gem" refers to a dominant outing by a pitcher resulting in few or no runs scored by the opponent. But they still manage to fill stadiums who enjoy the duel between batter and pitcher and the atmosphere of the stadium even if a 0 run game is BORING. it's true that baseball doesn't tie, but holy crap have you ever seen a 15+ inning baseball game to decide a winner? Tell me that's more interesting than a tie, I dare ya!

Basketball - has JUST as much flopping as soccer since Free throws are a part of the game,and 'drawing a foul' is perfectly acceptable. In fact it's an 'art' and commentators regularly talk about someone who can 'get to the line' as doing their job. Same exact mindset. I think the only way the NBA could possibly flop MORE like soccer is if they allowed slide tackles on the court so we could watch these 7 foot giants go flying all over the place. yup. you heard it here first.

Hockey - often results in soccer-like scores but more fun because they get to hit each other going 20 mph with big sticks. it's called checking. =)

Curling - nevermind.

I won't try to convince you to like soccer, but I think you should be aware that soccer fans like me aren't just watching a drama with good athletic actors (see NBA finals) but a game with highs, lows, strategy, team-work, individual athleticism and arguably greater overall athleticism than any sport but water polo and the Tour de France (have you ever tried swimming or biking for that long with no break!!!???)

Couple this with the fact that it's also the only nation versus nation sport in the world adds a dimension to the competition that unfortunately doesn't give LA anything to riot about. (Remember US v Iran a few years back? North Korea v anybody?). Even if you still think it's a terrible sport, it's very hard to argue with an entire planet but by all means, continue if you so desire. :D :D

allcoug
Recruit
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by allcoug »

1967cougar wrote:With me, it has about as much traction of that insipidly stupid Deseret First Duel. May they become coffin-mates.
I'm just thankful that the unbelievably stupid Deseret First Duel won't be resurrected in four years.

Lawboy
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Lawboy »

700 Million worldwide watched it, including a staggering 86% of the viewing audience in Spain and 91% in the Netherlands. The Super Bowl does not even come close to that in the USA. Last year's Super Bowl was the most watched ever with worldwide viewing of 106.5 Million. The Beijing Olympics created a record, but the WC final beat it by a mere 100 Million.

Obviously, a lot of people care. Soccer rates a distant 5th or 6th in US sports, and will never breach the big 4, but it is gaining in popularity year by year. This will continue, especially as the USA team keeps getting better.
http://livefeed.hollywoodreporter.com/2 ... final.html