Bama Coug for AD

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Bama Coug for AD

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Great article BamaCoug!!!

Reasons why BYU should not be happy with hush money just to get an invite to the Big 12.

Great collection of facts and stats.
Let the godless PAC-10 and there new "conference biggest losers" invite Utah go their way.

I trust Tom H had all this info for any meetings with the Big 12.

Lawboy
Over-Achiever

Re: Bama Coug for AD

Post by Lawboy »

dmcougar wrote:Great article BamaCoug!!!

Reasons why BYU should not be happy with hush money just to get an invite to the Big 12.

Great collection of facts and stats.
Let the godless PAC-10 and there new "conference biggest losers" invite Utah go their way.

I trust Tom H had all this info for any meetings with the Big 12.
I guarantee that ESPN has these numbers as well. And since expansion is going to be determined by how it impacts the Big12 ability to get more $$$ from a TV deal, and ESPN was a force behind keeping the Big 12 together, this really helps BYU. It is what BYU can add financially that is what makes them attractive, along with the winning tradition, approach to recruiting certain type of kids, and their brand recognition. I think it is just a matter of time.

scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by scott715 »

http://deepshadesofblue.com/the-mwcs-qu ... cs-status/
So, it appears that BYU and the Mountain West Conference have two options in front of them.

1) It could increase its overall computer ranking by divesting itself of the statistical outliers and replacing them with schools that strengthen its rankings. Houston, Fresno State, Nevada and Tulsa are all programs that would increase the rankings. The schools that are dragging the rankings down include San Diego State, Colorado State, New Mexico, Wyoming and UNLV.

Simply adding schools to the mix would not be enough to get the conference over the bar for criteria No. 2. Which is why the MWC school presidents have opted to stand pat at the current time regarding expansion. At least two or three bottom feeders would have to be dropped as well.

Swapping out two or three schools could to the trick, but kicking schools out of the conference could be messy legally and be a public relations nightmare to boot. It would come across as a pure money grab, which it would be.

2) The second solution would be to petition the BCS Presidential Oversight Committee under the second exemption option. The MWC does currently qualify to apply under this provision since it currently ranks third among conferences in criteria No. 1, seventh in criteria No. 2 and third in criteria No. 3, ranking less than 10-percent behind the SEC.

There are some factors at play that could work in the MWC’s favor if it were to petition the BCS.

First, the gap between the Mountain West and the other non-AQ conferences is huge. That gap was further widened with the addition of Boise State.

Second, with the growing PR problems of the BCS and the talk of potential government interference, the BCS would have to strongly consider adding the MWC. Adding a conference that didn’t technically qualify could alleviate many of the public and legal pressures on the BCS. It would also bring into the fold the schools that have historically been billed as the “BCS Busters”.

Third, the MWC could also help its case by agreeing to a ramp up in BCS revenues, much as Utah did when it was invited by the PAC-10.

Fourth, the BCS is considering adding the Cotton Bowl to its line-up. It would not be surprising to see another bowl, such as the Holiday, be added in the future as well. This would allow a place at the BCS table for the MWC and increase opportunities for all BCS schools.

Fifth, it also doesn’t hurt the MWC’s case that ESPN/ABC now has the contract to air the BCS games. BYU has long been a media darling of ESPN, consistently delivering strong ratings for the network.

Its important to remember that if it were to attain auto-qualifying status, the Mountain West Conference would begin its BCS membership on essentially a two year probation. It would have to continue to perform in order to remain a BCS fixture. The question is what happens when BSU, TCU and BYU are knocking each other off?

For that reason don’t be surprised to see the Mountain West expand to 12 teams if it were admitted to the BCS. Adding three of the above-mentioned programs would strengthen the second tier of the conference and likely cement the MWC as part of the BCS. It would separate some of the schools into different divisions that may otherwise knock one another off each year. It would also obviously create the opportunity for additional revenue from a championship game.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

scott715 wrote: "Its important to remember that if it were to attain auto-qualifying status, the Mountain West Conference would begin its BCS membership on essentially a two year probation. It would have to continue to perform in order to remain a BCS fixture. The question is what happens when BSU, TCU and BYU are knocking each other off?

For that reason don’t be surprised to see the Mountain West expand to 12 teams if it were admitted to the BCS. Adding three of the above-mentioned programs would strengthen the second tier of the conference and likely cement the MWC as part of the BCS. It would separate some of the schools into different divisions that may otherwise knock one another off each year. It would also obviously create the opportunity for additional revenue from a championship game."
I also see MWC expansion to 11 or 12 being very likely if the MWC becomes a BCS conference, so as to keep BYU, Boise State, and TCU from playing all of the others every year, further helping the MWC in 2 of the 3 categories.

Welcome Fresno State, Nevada, and Hawaii/Houston/UTEP in 2013?

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
BYUgrad03
BLUEshirt

Post by BYUgrad03 »

Mars wrote:
scott715 wrote: "Its important to remember that if it were to attain auto-qualifying status, the Mountain West Conference would begin its BCS membership on essentially a two year probation. It would have to continue to perform in order to remain a BCS fixture. The question is what happens when BSU, TCU and BYU are knocking each other off?

For that reason don’t be surprised to see the Mountain West expand to 12 teams if it were admitted to the BCS. Adding three of the above-mentioned programs would strengthen the second tier of the conference and likely cement the MWC as part of the BCS. It would separate some of the schools into different divisions that may otherwise knock one another off each year. It would also obviously create the opportunity for additional revenue from a championship game."
I also see MWC expansion to 11 or 12 being very likely if the MWC becomes a BCS conference, so as to keep BYU, Boise State, and TCU from playing all of the others every year, further helping the MWC in 2 of the 3 categories.

I'm OK with the first 4. UTEP, not so much. No reason really, I guess I just haven't forgiven them from their days in the WAC.

CannonCougar85
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by CannonCougar85 »

Mars wrote:

I hate the idea of having Hawaii in the MWC. I hated it in the WAC and there is a reason they didn't get included in the MWC. You gain absolutely zero from playing Hawaii. I'd rather have UTEP over Hawaii.
In order I would look at Houston, Fresno State, Nevada, UTEP, and finally Hawaii

"We have a tradition unlike any other. Those that have gone before us are the giants upon whose shoulders we now stand."
-Bronco Mendenhall
imuakahuku
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by imuakahuku »

CannonCougar85 wrote:
Mars wrote:

I hate the idea of having Hawaii in the MWC. I hated it in the WAC and there is a reason they didn't get included in the MWC. You gain absolutely zero from playing Hawaii. I'd rather have UTEP over Hawaii.
In order I would look at Houston, Fresno State, Nevada, UTEP, and finally Hawaii
You get one extra game if you play at Hawaii. But they are a doormat now and would be an almost gauranteed win every year. Being from Hawaii, it was pretty cool when the two teams played. But for me and a lot of other LDS in Hawii, it was always BYU! Which is why Hawaii hated BYU so much. Too may Y fans in the islands and the Y taking too many of the top recruits.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

CannonCougar85 wrote: I hate the idea of having Hawaii in the MWC.
You know how Utah ended up as a "place-holder" in the PAC-12? They needed to add someone, and as they couldn't stomach religion, Utah was all they had left with. Same with Fresno State/Nevada/Hawaii to the MWC for me.

If the MWC ever goes to 12, I want BYU in a western division for increased California recruiting. And if we're in the West, I'd prefer to have Boise State in the East, with TCU. This plan would accomplish that.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars