Questons from a Utah fan

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Cougy_Monster
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Questons from a Utah fan

Post by Cougy_Monster »

ttribe wrote:
Cougy_Monster wrote:I can't believe how many people are fooled into believing that bcs conferences are better than the mwc. The yewts will roll through the PAC. In fact the yewts are more likely to win the PAC than the mwc (had they stayed) over the next 5 years.

Please somebody name one team from the PAC that would finish ahead of all of the top mwc teams bsu, tcu, byu and yewtah if they played a full mwc schedule this year. The only possibility would be USC but now they're screwed.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
And how is it, exactly, that you reached this conclusion?

I thought about it for a little bit.

BigCougsFan
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BigCougsFan »

Lawboy wrote:OK, but you may not thank me after...
My dad lives down in Scottsdale. His backyard is the course where they have the Phoenix Open. In fact, the first green is his backyard. Been down to that tourney many times. Anyway, back in 1994, the year the Cowboys played the Steelers in the Super Bowl in Phoenix,and the same year Harbaugh almost led the Colts to the SB in a miraculous fashion, the game day was same as the Sunday round of the Open. Many NFL players were out walking the course. Anyway, my dad is on his back porch watching players go by, and Jim Harbaugh walks up to his wall(about 4-5 feet high) and asks if he can use my dad's toilet. My dad recognized him so said sure. Anyway, Jim must have really had to go because the big boy didn't exactly check to see what went down. And needless to say, it didn't, and he clogged the toilet. And bailed without a word. And that my friends, is Big 10-PAC-10 class!
That's what they do my friend. They drop bombs...

ttribe
Recruit
Fan Level: 2nd Favorite team

Post by ttribe »

Cougy_Monster wrote:
ttribe wrote:
Cougy_Monster wrote:I can't believe how many people are fooled into believing that bcs conferences are better than the mwc. The yewts will roll through the PAC. In fact the yewts are more likely to win the PAC than the mwc (had they stayed) over the next 5 years.

Please somebody name one team from the PAC that would finish ahead of all of the top mwc teams bsu, tcu, byu and yewtah if they played a full mwc schedule this year. The only possibility would be USC but now they're screwed.

In other words, you guessed. Got it.

Ddawg
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Ddawg »

BigCougsFan wrote:
Lawboy wrote:OK, but you may not thank me after...
My dad lives down in Scottsdale. His backyard is the course where they have the Phoenix Open. In fact, the first green is his backyard. Been down to that tourney many times. Anyway, back in 1994, the year the Cowboys played the Steelers in the Super Bowl in Phoenix,and the same year Harbaugh almost led the Colts to the SB in a miraculous fashion, the game day was same as the Sunday round of the Open. Many NFL players were out walking the course. Anyway, my dad is on his back porch watching players go by, and Jim Harbaugh walks up to his wall(about 4-5 feet high) and asks if he can use my dad's toilet. My dad recognized him so said sure. Anyway, Jim must have really had to go because the big boy didn't exactly check to see what went down. And needless to say, it didn't, and he clogged the toilet. And bailed without a word. And that my friends, is Big 10-PAC-10 class!
That's what they do my friend. They drop bombs...
Great story!! LOL!! I have always liked Jim Harbaugh - but - that was a ZERO class act!!! A real "no go!!"
Ha-ha!!!!
;) 8)

Cougy_Monster
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Cougy_Monster »

ttribe wrote:
Cougy_Monster wrote:
ttribe wrote:

Yup. I don't know of another way to predict the future besides using past trends to formulate a guess. Since the MWC has pwned the PAC over the last few years I figured this year would be the same.

Yewtah is moving to a better TV deal and a better paycheck but not a more competitive conference. I'll never cheer for the yewts but I won't be surprised when they're in the Rose Bowl within 3 years.

Ddawg
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Ddawg »

Cougy_Monster wrote:
ttribe wrote:
Cougy_Monster wrote:
ttribe wrote:

Yewtah is moving to a better TV deal and a better paycheck but not a more competitive conference. I'll never cheer for the yewts but I won't be surprised when they're in the Rose Bowl within 3 years.
As Lavelle Edwards said - it's just all about the money - and it's not a good thing. The Yewts can plays competetively in the PAC. What will hurt them initially - is the quality & depth of their bench. As for the starting line-up, they match up pretty well. The deep bench is the key.

ttribe
Recruit

Post by ttribe »

Cougy_Monster wrote:
ttribe wrote:
Cougy_Monster wrote:
ttribe wrote:

Yup. I don't know of another way to predict the future besides using past trends to formulate a guess. Since the MWC has pwned the PAC over the last few years I figured this year would be the same.

I'm not big on definitive predictions on sports outcomes, but here's one I feel very confident in - Utah will not be in the Rose Bowl within 3 years. That prediction is based on watching both the PAC and the MWC for several years now.

northerncougar
Junior

Post by northerncougar »

Some things to consider because there really is a HUGE downside if you don't win. The upside is huge if you win, but only if you win.

1. Utah's road record recently against the Pac10 isn't exactly stellar. Okay, it's dismal.
2. When you are part of the conference, the game takes on much more urgency. This won't help Utah, as they already had that urgency with the desire to beat a Pac10 team. Now that each game matters on the road to the Rose Bowl, no one will be taking Utah lightly.
3. Utah has had 1 year in the last 10 where they dominated. 2004. 2008 was a great year for them, but they struggled in multiple games. They had 5 games where they won by 7 or less. 2 of those were at home. There is no possible way that Utah goes undefeated in the Pac10 in 2008. Not a chance.

Utah will likely lose 3-4 games in the Pac10 per year. They will not go to the Rose Bowl in the first 5 years. Contrary to the original post to start this thread there is a huge downside to going to the Pac10. I can see it 5 years from now, "Yes, we haven't been to a BCS game in 5 years, but the money we get makes it all better."

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

ttribe wrote: I'm not big on definitive predictions on sports outcomes, but here's one I feel very confident in - Utah will not be in the Rose Bowl within 3 years. That prediction is based on watching both the PAC and the MWC for several years now.
What makes you say that? Both Boise State and TCU would have easily won the PAC-0 last year. Utah was much better in '08 and '04 than they were in '09. And if they end up in a division with USC, UCLA, Arizona, Arizona State, and Colorado, that's 4 garbage schools and one great school that's currently a sinking ship. So where does the false confidence come from?

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
ttribe
Recruit

Post by ttribe »

Mars wrote:
ttribe wrote: I'm not big on definitive predictions on sports outcomes, but here's one I feel very confident in - Utah will not be in the Rose Bowl within 3 years. That prediction is based on watching both the PAC and the MWC for several years now.
What makes you say that? Both Boise State and TCU would have easily won the PAC-0 last year. Utah was much better in '08 and '04 than they were in '09. And if they end up in a division with USC, UCLA, Arizona, Arizona State, and Colorado, that's 4 garbage schools and one great school that's currently a sinking ship. So where does the false confidence come from?
Given your proclivity for hyperbolic characterizations of other programs ("garbage schools"), it seems pointless to argue the point that I believe (based on observation) that enduring an entire PAC-10 season to be more difficult than the typical MWC season. I guess we'll just have to see, now won't we?