Questons from a Utah fan

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
MTM
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU is my rival
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Questons from a Utah fan

Post by MTM »

Lawboy wrote:I am on record saying Utah will compete well in the PAC10, but not dominate.

I've read your assessment in other threads to this effect

As to comparing Utah to BYU, I think BYU would do the same in the PAC10 a Utah initially and over time. BYU does not win at PAC10 venues too often either, but beats those teams at LES. I would expect 4-4 in year 1. However, if BYU gets a Big 12 invite, and sits in the North division, I think they do better over time with that than teh U does in teh south division of the PAC10. USC is a batter program than any in the North. BYU could beat Kansas, KState, IState, Missouri and some other school pretty regularly. If they get matched up with OU or Texas, I change my opinion and see BYU winning the division every 5-6 years instead of every other year. Winning the Big 12 would still be tough, so once every 7-8 years or so.
I think Utah can do the same in the PAC. Geez even WSU was co-champs in 2002
As far as academics go, BYU is a much better undergrad institution, per national rankings. Look them up yourself.
This might be where I am confused. I did look it up on some academic ranking site and Utah ranked higher than BYU. i'm not sure of the methodology but at least in one organization's opinion Utah is just as good academically. I don't know how that can even be ranked objectively anyway.

Y 4 Ever
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Y 4 Ever »

BigCougsFan wrote: LOL -- I was under the impression he asked more about the acdemics than sports side.

BUT Utah going to the PAC actually does fit for them. BYU fits better in the Big XII. Just be patient and we'll eventually be in that conference playing in front of all these Texas recruits that Utah and the nation covet for. Patience...

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
I know he was asking more about the academics, but we all know that academics actually had NOTHING to do with it (as evidenced by the Okie St and Texas Tech invites). And besides, I've been needing to get that off of my chest. Now I don't have to have that conversation in sacrament meeting tomorrow in my :utard: -infested ward.

I really need to move to Provo.

BigCougsFan
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BigCougsFan »

33311710 wrote:
BigCougsFan wrote: LOL -- I was under the impression he asked more about the acdemics than sports side.

BUT Utah going to the PAC actually does fit for them. BYU fits better in the Big XII. Just be patient and we'll eventually be in that conference playing in front of all these Texas recruits that Utah and the nation covet for. Patience...

I know he was asking more about the academics, but we all know that academics actually had NOTHING to do with it (as evidenced by the Okie St and Texas Tech invites). And besides, I've been needing to get that off of my chest. Now I don't have to have that conversation in sacrament meeting tomorrow in my :utard: -infested ward.

Sacrament meeting tomorrow?

What kind of heathen are you?

Y 4 Ever
All-American

Post by Y 4 Ever »

BigCougsFan wrote:
33311710 wrote:

Sacrament meeting tomorrow?

What kind of heathen are you?

What, is there a commandment against 2 sacrament meetings in one week? ;)

CougarClaw
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by CougarClaw »

33311710 wrote:
May a three-legged ram step on your toe.
you said a lot of really mean things in your team A vs team B comparison but this steps over the line...

Rams have feelings too! (unless you're from St. Louis.)

Y 4 Ever
All-American

Post by Y 4 Ever »

CougarClaw wrote:
33311710 wrote:
May a three-legged ram step on your toe.
you said a lot of really mean things in your team A vs team B comparison but this steps over the line...

Rams have feelings too! (unless you're from St. Louis.)
I apologize to any cloven-hoofed mammals with missing limbs who may have been offended by my remarks. I vow from this time forward to be sensitive of the feelings of all of our furry friends.

Luckily :utard: 's have no fur.

jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU

Post by jonnylingo »

I think the BYU and Utah programs at this point in time with the coaches they currently have in place are about as equal as it gets. While each has their strengths and weaknesses they couldn't be more even.

Utah will do about as well as BYU would on the field in either conference. The difference is that byu has more loyal followers and therefore puts more people in seats and has more tv viewers. they also have a richer history of success. utah recently has had more national success however.

Utah was picked because they were good on the field, in a growing tv market, and not a religiously conservative school.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Academically most experts will agree that BYU is a superior school, it would often be ranked even higher, except that one of the criteria used is getting students graduated in 5 years from enrollment, which with the large number of missions obviously hurts BYU.

US News and World Report Ranks the two like this:
http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandrevie ... +3670+3675

BYU - 71
UofU - 126

ProV1
Sophomore

Post by ProV1 »

Comparison-
Undergraduate rank - BYU 71 Utah 126
Medical school - BYU N/A Utah 38
Law school - BYU 41 Utah 45
Undergrad enroll - BYU 30,912 Utah 21,526
Tuition - BYU 4,290 Utah 5,804 (18,352 out of state)
My wife - BYU is much more difficult than the U

Competition-
In my humble yet slightly jealous opinion it's hard to argue with the U's two BCS wins and undefeated seasons. If anyone deserves an upgrade it's first Boise State then Utah. Now, how will they fare in the Pac-12? I predict the good years will average 8-4 and the bad years 6-6. They can beat anyone in the Pac-10, true, but they've never had to do it back-to-back-to-back on the road. In the past they've beaten Cal and Oregon but the week before and the week after they had Wyoming, UNLV, and New Mexico. It's a sad commentary on the Mt West when there are realistically multiple weeks that you don't have to prepare for, just show up and win.

Lawboy
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Lawboy »

hawkwing wrote:Academically most experts will agree that BYU is a superior school, it would often be ranked even higher, except that one of the criteria used is getting students graduated in 5 years from enrollment, which with the large number of missions obviously hurts BYU.

US News and World Report Ranks the two like this:
http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandrevie ... +3670+3675

BYU - 71
UofU - 126
Exactly what I was about to post. For grad degrees, Princeton Review is probably best.