BCS President's Meeting: Likely No Expansion This Year

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

BCS President's Meeting: Likely No Expansion This Year

Post by Mars »

The Big Ten had to notify the Big East and/or the Big XII yesterday if they were going to contact one or more of their schools about switching conferences. They didn't.

" Delany tells USA TODAY's Steve Wieberg the Big Ten "not anywhere near" the point of identifying and approaching prospective new schools. The Chicago Tribune has backed off its report that said the Big Ten conference would accelerate its discussion of expanding. The newspaper says commissioner Jim Delany informed colleagues at the Bowl Championship Series meetings in Arizona that the Big Ten will stick to the plan it announced in December, and take a 12-to-18-month look at the issue."
http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... xpanding/1

And as a result of the Big Ten staying pat for right now, the PAC-10 looks to do the same for the time being:

" What does this mean for the Pac-10? Perhaps nothing. Scott reiterated that he doesn't feel expansion outside of the West Coast would force the Pac-10 to expand. He also admitted that, much like Delany, he has little -- nothing, actually -- to report on his conference's potential expansion plans. He noted his message is nearly identical since he first was asked about expansion at Pac-10 media day last July. "If I said anything different since, it hasn't been purposeful," he said. "
http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/ ... s-meetings

With the Big Ten and the PAC-10 not expanding this year, I doubt the Mountain West adds Boise State either. Too bad. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for, what's the last day to announce the Broncos' conference change, July 31st?

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
CannonCougar85
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: BCS President's Meeting: Likely No Expansion This Year

Post by CannonCougar85 »

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed too. The MWC has really been a thorn in the side of the BCS in recent years and I expect them to keep on the offensive. This means that the MWC would expand regardless of what the BCS conferences do I would think. With that in mind I think adding BSU adds more ammunition that the MWC has to work with so not only am I hoping that BSU joins, I also won't be surprised in the least.

"We have a tradition unlike any other. Those that have gone before us are the giants upon whose shoulders we now stand."
-Bronco Mendenhall
scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Expand BSU and Houston to get two more top 25 teams and one other team to make a 12 team conference. This also raises the overall teams average ranking. Before doing it talk to the Mtn and get more money for adding quality teams making the channel more attractive. You can't hope that you make it with the current 9 teams. You got to make sure you make it and compete agressively to ensure that you are there.

The lower teams in the conference really have to pick it up the next two years.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

scott715 wrote:Expand BSU and Houston to get two more top 25 teams and one other team to make a 12 team conference.
Did Houston finish in the Top 25 after Air Force blew them out? I would rather see Fresno State and/or Nevada added.

BigCougsFan
All-American

Post by BigCougsFan »

The ESPN article also stated,
Scott also added that he will appoint a "TV consultant" next month to explore the conference's media options, which could include a Pac-10 network.
A Pac-10 network??? If there was an expansion... It would say Pac-12 network.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

BigCougsFan wrote: A Pac-10 network??? If there was an expansion... It would say Pac-12 network.
I think a PAC-10 network will happen soon, and a PAC-12 may never happen.

cscoug
BLUEshirt

Post by cscoug »

The MWC needs to proceed independent of other leagues. In other words, they need to add Boise St to solidify their numbers in the current BCS evaluation. This is a multi-million dollar gamble not to do so. If we are close to earning acceptance without Boise St, would should be on solid ground with them. It makes no financial sense now to go to 12 teams. A MWC title game will not be very lucrative, initially. Who know down the road. For sure it would dilute the money we expect to gain with BCS entrance.

Y 4 Ever
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Y 4 Ever »

If the MWC can get an autobid WITHOUT adding anybody...why bring in a Boise State? Or 3 teams? Its not like anyone else is chasing Boise State around to join their conference. I say wait and see. If :utard: doesn't join their tree-hugging, gay-marriage-supporting, pro-choice, granola-munching hippies out West, and if TCU doesn't get gobbled up by the Big 12 (which probably won't happen unless the Pac-10 takes CU - I don't see the Big Ten taking anyone from the Big 12 unless Texas changes their minds), then I don't know that bringing in Boise helps.

If they DO decide to invite Boise...then I agree - bring in two more, and make it 12. I agree on Fresno St - bring them in. And then I say bring in either Houston or SMU (preferably Houston) to give us another team in Texas. And then make the divisions look like this:

Left-Wing (aka the Hippies):
:utard:
SDSU
UNLV
Fresno
Boise
New Mexico

Right-Wing (aka the NRA):
BYU
TCU
AFA
CSU
Houston
Wyoming

Of course, BYU would play :utard: every year...but by begin in a different division from them, there's a chance we could play them in the MWC title game. THAT would be fun!

Lawboy
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Lawboy »

I think the writing is on the wall here that the Big Conferences are going to wait until after the 2011 season to see how things shake out. If the MWC has another BCS team, and had 2-3 more ranked teams, it will be clear that they will meet the criteria by 2012 to get BCS inclusion. At that point, the dominoes will begin to fall.

I then see the Big 10 starting things off and adding 1-3 teams. If they can get Notre Dame, then just 1 team. And if that is it, the ball will then be in the PAC10's court. At that point, they would be the only BCS conference with less than 12 teams, so not enough for a conference title game. That will bring pressure. So I expect them to add 2 teams, but ONLY if they can get Colorado. If so, it will be Colorado and Utah. if Colorado will not move, they will not expand. It really is that simple.

Next up will be the Big 12 because they will need to add 1 team. I suspect that they will choose from TCU, Houston and BYU. I would suspect TCU, but they are a small school, add nothing to the conferrence footprint, and really do not sell many tickets and push the TV dial. This is about $$$, so BYU makes the most sense, for many reasons. After that, the MWC would be forced to add BSU, FSU, whether BYU leaves or not.

cscoug
BLUEshirt

Post by cscoug »

33311710 wrote:If the MWC can get an autobid WITHOUT adding anybody...
It appears the MWC can't do it without expansion.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/w ... itter_feed

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/ ... ed-sort-of

As I said earlier, this is a multi-million dollar gamble. The MWC cannot afford to play this too cautiously. We need access, and we have a shot. We are very close, but we are not there yet. Proper expansion will get us there. I think adding TCU was great. Adding only what is necessary to get us into the BCS is what needs to happen next.