Heaps to start?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
BigCougsFan
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Heaps to start?

Post by BigCougsFan »

craigoscarson wrote:
BigCougsFan wrote:
kitic77 wrote:I don't think Lark or Munns will transfer. I could see one or both of them change positions however.
I don't really know how athletic they both are. What positions would they be good at??? Pull a Paul Kruger and go to DE?
I heard we need more depth at tight end ;)
:lol: I was thinking we don't have enough TE's

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Mumms could go to another school since he is on his mission ,or did the new NCAA rule make him sit out a year? Bronco could say next week that Riley is the starter and Heaps will be playing this year. I don't know if a freshman can truely organize the workouts this summer having not been through it before. Then Fall camp will be the tryout again with Lark being better prepared. Then Bronco can call the starter early in Fall camp, and that could be Heaps if nothing has changed in the QBs since Spring.

bigbluepuma
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by bigbluepuma »

I read a national article once about QBs who transfer. The gist was that very few pan out. I think that most would have a greater chance of success with the team and system that they first learned, rather than keep learning new systems, and never getting one down to the point of proficiency.

Another player that stayed and found success late was a TE (Jolley, I think). He didn't play much until the last half of his senior year, then lit the world on fire and went on to be an all pro, as I recall.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougarbib »

Big Cougar Fan - then u missed the best part! ;)

Here is the short version. With all most no exceptions, QBs and other players that transfer due to frustrations about where they find themselves on the depth chart usually find themselves at about the same place on the depth chart at the new school with 1 less year to work their way up said depth chart.

Players who are patient, assuming they are good enough, always get their chance due to injury, suspensions, academics, improvement, guys going NFL early, etc.

Some players just aren't as good as their hype or as good as they think they are - transferring is not the solution for that.

Troy AIkman is one notable exception. If Max Hall transferred to BYU due to concerns about depth chart and PT - then he would also be an exception. Conversely, If he left because the spirit told him he belonged at BYU, then he does not meet the criteria. He never seemed to me to be one who would shun a fight and the position at BYU was certainly not handed to him on a silver platter.

In any event - these guys should stay and develop and trust in the Lord that if they have the ability they will get a chance to show it.

Go Cougs

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
redneckjedi
All-American

Post by redneckjedi »

In fairness to Ryan Hancock, he did extremely well when he went in right up until he had a football-career-ending injury thanks to a yewt cheap shot out of bounds. I have no problem with his decision to go with baseball given that he was already drafted, the type of injury he had, and the natural fear that it could happen again if he stuck with football - but probably not with baseball. You don't see a lot of pitchers with horrific leg injuries being carted off the field with a brace from hip to ankle.

If the yewts take the field and there are no BYU fans to pour beer on, will anybody come?
rblack
Sophomore

Post by rblack »

Bronco Mendenhall has a consistent attitude towards football. Starting positions are earned, not given based on talent or potential alone. Based on the results the last few years, I have no problem with that attitude. They will win (or lose) with the hardest working players on the field.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougarbib »

Ryan Hancock quickly fizzled into oblivion after 4 quick wins as a starter for the California Angels. The Angel's GM, who actually coached my son in little league basketball as an Assistant Coach - said something about short arm??? I never knew what that meant. He would have done well to stick with football, but if he liked baseball better then so be it.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

craigoscarson wrote: If it's Heaps; then the entire Heaps family (and every BYU fan rooting for Jake to start) better start thanking the Oline and Harvey Unga. If those starters weren't there and experienced, there's no way it would make sense to throw a true freshman to the wolves (particularly in our brutal noncon). If Harvey doesn't come back, Riley Nelson gets the nod as a stabilizing factor.
That makes a lot of sense. If you have a good O-Line, you should start your best quarterback. If you have a poor O-Line, bench your best QB. Genius. :roll:

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars