The QB Race is OVER!

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Wickchad
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: The QB Race is OVER!

Post by Wickchad »

Florwood wrote:
scott715 wrote:I was wondering if he also will be hitting the recruiting trail. The kid can do it all it seems.
I know that's a joke, but I'm still wondering--can current players to anything towards recruiting? Other than giving prospective teammates kava when they come on their official visit, that is....?
Zac Coley wasn't even allowed to talk to Austin about coming to BYU or it would have been a recruiting violation. Zac mentioned that in a post game interview on KSL when they asked if he was responsible for getting Austin to come to BYU instead of Stanford.

WACoug
Recruit
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by WACoug »

snoscythe wrote:
BigCougsFan wrote:
snoscythe wrote:Missed one:
Brandon Doman said
If it's not about BYU, if it's not about this team and this place, they won't start," he said. "That would be the most important criteria. I don't care how good they are, or who they are, or if they're the best player out there. If it isn't about the team, they're not going to play. They know that. Secondly, if it isn't about the team, they'll transfer. We understand the stakes in that case. I've been there.
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7000 ... ugars.html
All Jake Heaps preached during the recruiting season was how awesome BYU is, he did more recruiting than what any coach could ever do for the school he truly believed in! He's a true Cougar all the way through, he has been putting his team first before he even officially committed. There's no way he will change his mentality now that he's on the team especially as a freshman.
Actions speak louder than words, and Heaps didn't impress with how he handled the "voluntary" workouts by showing up late, skipping, opting out of conditioning exercises etc. Yeah, he said the right things, but he certainly didn't act like a team player early on. He's improved since then after an intervention by some of the elder statesmen on the team, but Heaps is still miles behind the other guys in earning the respect of his teamates and coaches as a leader.

Given that context, it's pretty apparent that Doman was speaking about Heaps. If it's not a concern (if your 'best' player is a unifier/team player), why would Doman make this comment?
Me thinks he doth protest too much. :roll:

nix
Gray Shirt
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Heaps was sick.

Post by nix »

Sno, I usually like your comments on this site, but you've only got half the story on this one. Jake was very sick the first week or two he was here. The kid could barely get out of bed. It had nothing to do with being lazy or entitled. The kid is a very hard worker and very mature for his age (If you haven't noticed, the players being interviewed seem to like Jake, like Brian Logan, Brandon Bradley, etc.). Doman absolutely loves Jake, so I'm not sure why you're making it sound like he doesn't. Doman just said yesterday that every second it took to recruit Jake was worth it. Honestly, I couldn't care less who wins the job. I want the best player to play and the coaches are going about it the right way by giving everyone a shot at it.

scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by scott715 »

Jake was worth any price. It is not just him but the other guys that he got to come here with him and the future kids we get the next four years (I expect Jake will be talking to kids who come on campusto visit) and if we get to the BCS while he is here there are other kids that will eventually come. You just can't put a price on it.

CougarClaw
Pro

Post by CougarClaw »

7/7 at practice? :bug: :bug:

game over. :crazy: we win. :utard: lose.

QuarterbackU
BLUEshirt

Post by QuarterbackU »

regarding Doman's comment about being a team player: Max Hall was not really a great team player. Many people couldn't stand him. Alot of people wanted Cade Cooper to be the starter before he lis franc-ed the crap out of his ankle.

Max Hall completed 99.8% of his passes to Pitta and Collie his Junior year. I've heard Harvey didn't like Max and if you look at the stats from Max's senior year all of the sudden we don't check down to Unga in the flats, we check down to Pitta every chance we get.

I made my case a month ago about Heaps being that starter and that is what HAS to happen to move this program forward for many reasons folks and that is regardless of whether Heaps comes to voluntary workouts with the peasants. All Hail Jake Heaps.
Last edited by QuarterbackU on Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

QuarterbackU
BLUEshirt

Post by QuarterbackU »

Let's have a toast with some Kava!

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

QuarterbackU wrote:regarding Doman's comment about being a team player: Max Hall was not really a great team player. Many people couldn't stand him. Alot of people wanted Cade Cooper to be the starter before he lis franc-ed the crap out of his ankle.

Max Hall completed 99.8% of his passes to Pitta and Collie his Junior year. I've heard Harvey didn't like Max and if you look at the stats from Max's senior year all of the sudden we don't check down to Unga in the flats, we check down to Pitta every chance we get.

I made my case a month ago about Heaps being that starter and that is what HAS to happen to move this program forward for many reasons folks and that is regardless of whether Heaps comes to voluntary workouts with the peasants. All Hail Jake Heaps.
Wow, I really don't even know why I'm taking the time to respond to you. But here goes. We get it. You have an agenda and anything less than Heaps being named starter, team captain and offensive coordinator tomorrow is simply the worst decision the coaches could ever make.

First, you know nothing about the Hall-Cooper situation. Cooper had his ankle completely shattered, it wasn't a lisfranc injury. Cooper then transferred and never stuck at any of the schools (yes he went to multiple ones) after BYU. And all the reports coming out of spring ball that year, while close, the race was not being won by Cooper.

Second your utter hyperbole of Hall throwing only to Pitta and Collie is simply laughable. Would like me to show you how much more effective Hall was throwing to those two guys than anyone else on the team and it wasn't even close. Unless you are suggesting that Hall was purposefully threw bad balls to fellow teammates in order to make his buddies look bad. That Hall was all about himself and his two cronies and not about BYU and winning and that somehow BYU coaches were okay with this.

And in case you missed it, we checked down to Pitta to the tune of a 10 win season and top 15 finish.

You unsuccessfully made the case for Heaps to start a month ago. What you did do was come here and propagandize the young man. He is NOT the greatest player to ever grace the campus of BYU. He may OR may not turn out to be a good quaterback. So far through all of five practices, it does look like he is on his way to being a good one.

But if his attitude is anything like yours and he believes his teammates are "peasants" then I don't want him as the QB of BYU and I bet a lot of the players won't either. Coaches can and will see that if a player thinks he's better than his teammates and they won't stand for it. QB is the single most teammate-dependent position there is. He can't do ANYTHING without the support of his teammates. And if he treats his teammates like "peasants" that will be exactly what will happen.

You really need to change your moniker because I don't think you know anything about the great history of BYU. Go back and read about the greats at BYU and how they had to fight and struggle to succeed in Provo and didn't have anything handed to them - let alone the starting job less than two months after joining the program.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
BigCougsFan
All-American

Post by BigCougsFan »

QuarterbackU wrote:regarding Doman's comment about being a team player: Max Hall was not really a great team player. Many people couldn't stand him. Alot of people wanted Cade Cooper to be the starter before he lis franc-ed the crap out of his ankle.

Really??? Did I miss something???

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

kitic77 wrote: You unsuccessfully made the case for Heaps to start a month ago. What you did do was come here and propagandize the young man. He is NOT the greatest player to ever grace the campus of BYU.
Name me a QB that has EVER been at BYU and looked like the clear-cut starter as a freshman 5 months before the first game tipped off- I don't think there is one!

I don't think Heaps will go undefeated his freshman year, in or out of conference. I don't think he'll win a conference championship. But I DO think he has a chance to go 11-2, get the team a Top 15 ranking, and be the BEST freshman quarterback BYU has ever seen.

It might not go down that way, but the potential is clear and people are excited. There's a train rolling through Provo right now, and you can hear the rumblings beginning through the media. There's no point standing on the tracks and trying to slow this puppy down, because it ain't slowin' any time soon...

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars