Question about conference changes and auto-bids

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Dcr36
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Question about conference changes and auto-bids

Post by Dcr36 »

I'm sure it's been asked elsewhere, but I've been wondering: suppose Utah and/or BYU or even TCU gets an invite to leave the conference in the next 2-3 years, which they take. Also, suppose that they do not leave the conference until whenever the MWC auto-bid period ends, and suppose the MWC is deemed worthy, based on the requested criterion, of receiving the auto-bid. Would either of the three teams leaving the conference have an effect on the MWC's newly-earned auto-bid?

Schmoe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: Question about conference changes and auto-bids

Post by Schmoe »

Haven't the Big East and ACC been shuffling teams around during the BCS era? I think once you get the auto-bid they would have to wait until another reassessment year or whatever to revoke the bid.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

As of opening day 2010, the teams in each conference will be counted for this period. That is why if we want Boise State's numbers we have to add them THIS off-season.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
KYCoug
Sophomore

Post by KYCoug »

Another point to consider is if someone moves to a different conference how do they account for the first couple of years when they are getting schedules switched around. I know when Louisville moved to the Big LEast they still played the first year schedule with lots of Conf USA games or what ever conf it was and all those games were counted by the Big LEast as their conference games.

Go Cougs!

L Hatton
Louisville, KY

EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by EM_Puma »

This all will be interesting to see how this all shakes out because I think we've reached a point where the college landscape is being forced to change. The PAC10 needs a new TV contract and they want more money. Unless the BCS does something to change their qualification requirements then the MWC looks like they will qualify at the end of the current period. Mark my words. They won't let that happen and I don't think they could get wasy with simply changing the rules--that's too obvious.

Yep, it will be interesting, but I'm not feeling optimistic that anything good for BYU will become of it. I hope I'm wrong.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

If they leave their records would not count. If BSU joins their record will count.