Conference Expansion, etc

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Conference Expansion, etc

Post by EM_Puma »

My thought is that Utah will get a nod IF the PAC10 expands. BYU will not. Too many people throw around concepts that were spoken of years ago with talk of Missouri going to the Big 10, etc. The same rumors get carried over and over again, so I wouldn't rely on those words much because in these kinds of things, usually the REAL talk is usually held very close to the vest. The fact was that this last week that the PAC10 didn't just shoot down the idea completely that they could look at the situation. With a new conference commissioner I don't think you go on anything said under the prior administration.

I think it will be like with most of the mainstream religions that don't even allow talk of the LDS Church being a Christian church despite the name of the Church. Why do we think these college presidents would be on a higher or different level and see past that?

As mentioned, if any conference were to go out and expand and look specifically at canidates on the issue of revenue, then BYU IS the most attractive non-BCS school bar none. I know that's an issue, but for some odd reason I don't think it will trump the no-Sunday play or religious tag issue. That's just my thinking, but I've not seen anyone who has power to make a decision beyond the TV networks give me anything on which to hang my hat that BYU will be part of any BCS conference expansion. I still say we need to hope that the rules don't change and the MWC is added as an AQ. I think that possibilty is also what is behind some of this expansion talk. The BCS has to do something or their pie just got cut into a few more pieces and I just don't see them letting that happen.

Mingjai
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Mingjai »

If the MWC were to get a BCS autobid, with or without inviting Boise State, that would be optimal. Despite the Pac 10 being down this year, I think it would be easy most years to get through Utah, TCU, Boise State, and Air Force, than to get through USC, UCLA, Stanford, Cal, Oregon, and Oregon State.

Of course, if the non-AQ rule stays the same, and the MWC becomes an AQ conference, I'd almost prefer to be in the WAC. BSU would be in a great position because they have enough credibility to make the BCS while playing an easier schedule. If they don't have to compete with the MWC champ for the guaranteed non-AQ bid, they'd pretty much own that slot (so long as they keep winning).

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

I know the politics do not favor BYU but if you just look at tv revenue and ticket sales consider this. You have 13 million members world wide that could be tv markets. You have all of those members predominantly in the west. You would have increase ticket sales when BYU went on the road. And then you have all of those MWC fans that hate BYU. BYU would deliver all of the west tv markets. Idaho, Nevada and Utah have a lot of members. Wyoming and Colorado would be interested.

Finallly long term the church is growing which would increase those tv sets over time.

Metallicat
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Metallicat »

scott715 wrote:I know the politics do not favor BYU but if you just look at tv revenue and ticket sales consider this. You have 13 million members world wide that could be tv markets. You have all of those members predominantly in the west. You would have increase ticket sales when BYU went on the road. And then you have all of those MWC fans that hate BYU. BYU would deliver all of the west tv markets. Idaho, Nevada and Utah have a lot of members. Wyoming and Colorado would be interested.

Finallly long term the church is growing which would increase those tv sets over time.
I agree that the church helps give BYU a good following, but you're strecthing things a bit too much. First of all, Football is only popular inside the united states. So we don't really bring 13 million tv sets. Secondly, not all members are BYU fans nor do they all care about sports. So you can't even say that we'd automatically bring all of the "US saints". However, we do put buts in seats, and I think your average sports fan would watch BYU vs UCLA or Oregon on a saturday afternoon if thats what was playing on ABC, ESPN etc.

Cougy_Monster
Sophomore

Post by Cougy_Monster »

The PAC-0 beats the MWC in $ and reputation, but the MWC passed the PAC-0 in on-field competition 2 years ago. If Hair Thompson can hold our conference together and secure an AQ bid we'll be way better off than we would be after selling our souls to the PAC-0.

I wouldn't mind joining the Big-12 though...

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

I think this guy gets it. differrences sells tickets.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3443 ... best-asset

BigCougsFan
All-American

Post by BigCougsFan »

Cougy_Monster wrote:...we'll be way better off than we would be after selling our souls to the PAC-0.

Hahaha... I don't want to sell our souls the the PAC. BUT... I wouldn't mind selling it to the Big XII

Cougy_Monster
Sophomore

Post by Cougy_Monster »

BigCougsFan wrote:
Cougy_Monster wrote:...we'll be way better off than we would be after selling our souls to the PAC-0.

Hahaha... I don't want to sell our souls the the PAC. BUT... I wouldn't mind selling it to the Big XII
the buyer is just as important as the price

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

craigoscarson wrote:
Mars wrote:
Over the next 5-10 years, I see:
The PAC-10 not expanding
The Big Ten not expanding
The Big XII not expanding
The SEC not expanding
The ACC not expanding

That doesn't sell newspapers though.
The Big 10 will expand; count on it.

Without Notre Dame? Doubt it. Getting in the news ups their brand value though, and puts pressure on the N.D. admin. They won't ever expand with the Golden Domers, IMO.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars