A credible Utah news organization is

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
CannonCougar85
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: A credible Utah news organization is

Post by CannonCougar85 »

bigbluepuma wrote:If that should happen, perhaps BSU would come into the MWC, so BYU can start beating up on them yearly. It kills me that they have as good a record against us as we have against Texas and OU. It also kills me that I haven't had any opportunity to needle my little brother (BSU grad) after a BYU victory. We've got to get this situation corrected. :evil:
You'll get 4 chances to paint a huge Y on your brothers lawn starting in 2012 @BSU :evil:

On a side note, Why do we have Hawaii on our schedule? We gain absolutely zero from playing @ Hawaii.

"We have a tradition unlike any other. Those that have gone before us are the giants upon whose shoulders we now stand."
-Bronco Mendenhall
bigbluepuma
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by bigbluepuma »

I know they're coming. I think they would be a good addition to the MWC, though. They are a good program, and I have a lot of friends up there to lord it over when we beat them. :P :P

I might have something to gain from playing Hawaii. It would give me a good excuse to take a trip. :) :) 8)

bball
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by bball »

I am unaware of an conference that does not play games on sunday; especially baseball and basketball, plus some track, tennis and minor sports. I can't see BYU joining any other conference--ever. There are going to be more and more games played on sunday, and BYU simply is never going to do that. So BYU must either attempt to maintain the MWC, or go independent. If Utah leaves, and say the Pac-10 picks up UNLV or SDSU (both bad choices in my opinion), the MWC is in deep doo doo. We might be able to bring in Boise, but who else? cannibalize the WAC? Utah State? Fresno? Nevada? That wouldn't be too bad of a conference, but I don't know that it's any stronger than what we have now.

But honestly, I'm not sure BYU (the church) really cares much one way or the other. If the conference collapses, BYU is left out, and nobody wants us because we won't play on sunday, then I fully expect the BYU-Idaho option to occur.

Dcr36
All-American

Post by Dcr36 »

bball wrote:I am unaware of an conference that does not play games on sunday; especially baseball and basketball, plus some track, tennis and minor sports. I can't see BYU joining any other conference--ever. There are going to be more and more games played on sunday, and BYU simply is never going to do that. So BYU must either attempt to maintain the MWC, or go independent. If Utah leaves, and say the Pac-10 picks up UNLV or SDSU (both bad choices in my opinion), the MWC is in deep doo doo. We might be able to bring in Boise, but who else? cannibalize the WAC? Utah State? Fresno? Nevada? That wouldn't be too bad of a conference, but I don't know that it's any stronger than what we have now.

But honestly, I'm not sure BYU (the church) really cares much one way or the other. If the conference collapses, BYU is left out, and nobody wants us because we won't play on sunday, then I fully expect the BYU-Idaho option to occur.
I'm not sure I agree with this line of reasoning, but pushing that aside:

you're saying that if Utah receives an invitation to the Pac-10, they hold the power to destroy BYU athletics...forever?

I'd like to think somewhere, on a Ute message board, they have come to the same conclusion and are currently laughing maniacally.

ByuIcoug
Recruit

Post by ByuIcoug »

I think its funny people keep bringing up BYU dropping their sports like BYU-Idaho. I attend BYU-Idaho and there is zero school spirit. It would be a horrible idea for BYU to drop their sports. There is a huge rift between BYUI and the city of Rexburg, I see the same thing happening to Provo, and BYU. They will find a way not to play on Sunday. They are seriously thinking about bringing sports back to BYU-Idaho because of the lack of school spirit.

Lawboy
Over-Achiever

Post by Lawboy »

CannonCougar85 wrote:On a side note, Why do we have Hawaii on our schedule? We gain absolutely zero from playing @ Hawaii.
When are we playing Hawaii? As to the benefit, per NCAA rules, if you travel to Hawaii to play, you get to play an extra game that year--at home--to offset the travel costs for the Hawaii trip. As a season ticket holder, 7 home games in a season sounds awesome to me. I like that benefit.

bluebrotha
Recruit

Post by bluebrotha »

ByuIcoug wrote:I think its funny people keep bringing up BYU dropping their sports like BYU-Idaho. I attend BYU-Idaho and there is zero school spirit. It would be a horrible idea for BYU to drop their sports. There is a huge rift between BYUI and the city of Rexburg, I see the same thing happening to Provo, and BYU. They will find a way not to play on Sunday. They are seriously thinking about bringing sports back to BYU-Idaho because of the lack of school spirit.
I went to BYU-Hawaii. I knew little about the school prior to my arrival. I was shocked when I learned BYU-H had their own mascot, school colors and identity. I think the church should re-think this policy. BYU-Hawaii should be cougars. Their colors should be blue/white. They should just have club and intramural sports. BYU-Idaho should likewise take this approach. Why have potential rivalries within the church ? The Utah/BYU rivalry is already enough to handle.

If all BYU campuses were cougs, with Idaho and Hawaii just being like satellite or large extension campuses then two great positive occur: 1, kids feel less pissed or disappointed they did not attend BYU-Provo if their diploma just reads BYU (Idaho campus) and 2, it just increases the BYU cougar fanbase like a zillion fold. For example, While attending BYU-Hawaii, there were actually some Ute transfers. I'm sure Idaho also has some. These Utes completely separated their BYU attendance in Hawaii from other kids attending BYU in Provo. The BYU-H Utes still mocked kids in Provo as being robotic, etc, but felt Hawaii was somehow different. If Hawaii was just a BYU extension (formally) then Ute or Aggie transfers would be forced to be Cougar fans also.

scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by scott715 »

If the MWC lost some teams it would be no big deal. There are teams in the Conf USA that could be pulled in. We could lose the West side and pick up teams in Texas or Oklahoma.

scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by scott715 »

Here is an article in a SF newspaper http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 1BUVCC.DTL It points out that no Pac-10 bball team got a single poll vote. They might be losing relevancy.

ByuIcoug
Recruit

Post by ByuIcoug »

bluebrotha wrote:
ByuIcoug wrote:I think its funny people keep bringing up BYU dropping their sports like BYU-Idaho. I attend BYU-Idaho and there is zero school spirit. It would be a horrible idea for BYU to drop their sports. There is a huge rift between BYUI and the city of Rexburg, I see the same thing happening to Provo, and BYU. They will find a way not to play on Sunday. They are seriously thinking about bringing sports back to BYU-Idaho because of the lack of school spirit.
I went to BYU-Hawaii. I knew little about the school prior to my arrival. I was shocked when I learned BYU-H had their own mascot, school colors and identity. I think the church should re-think this policy. BYU-Hawaii should be cougars. Their colors should be blue/white. They should just have club and intramural sports. BYU-Idaho should likewise take this approach. Why have potential rivalries within the church ? The Utah/BYU rivalry is already enough to handle.

If all BYU campuses were cougs, with Idaho and Hawaii just being like satellite or large extension campuses then two great positive occur: 1, kids feel less pissed or disappointed they did not attend BYU-Provo if their diploma just reads BYU (Idaho campus) and 2, it just increases the BYU cougar fanbase like a zillion fold. For example, While attending BYU-Hawaii, there were actually some Ute transfers. I'm sure Idaho also has some. These Utes completely separated their BYU attendance in Hawaii from other kids attending BYU in Provo. The BYU-H Utes still mocked kids in Provo as being robotic, etc, but felt Hawaii was somehow different. If Hawaii was just a BYU extension (formally) then Ute or Aggie transfers would be forced to be Cougar fans also.
Never thought of it that way, good idea. BYU-Idaho kind of uses Thor as their mascot. My dad went to Ricks college and he told me how fun the games were and how it was a pipeline for BYU. I just don't think BYU will ever drop their sports all together.