Additional staff changes

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
pikoi
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Additional staff changes

Post by pikoi »

I'm hearing that Tevita Ofahengaue and Russell Tialavea are out. It seems that Kalani is continuing to make corrections in hopes of turning things around next year. My thoughts- TO wasn't a positive and a replacement was sorely needed. Not sure how much Russ helps or hurts things either way.

EM_Puma
Pro

Re: Additional staff changes

Post by EM_Puma »

I honestly don't know what to make of the depth of changes KS has made this off-season. What is disturbing to me is that if I needed to make this much of a change in my staff after simply two years of operation, then possibly I'm not very good at evaluating personnel.

Yet I'm glad he has the cajones to make changes he feels are needed, but this is quite an upheaval really unparalleled at BYU in my days. TH seems to be letting him win/lose based on his own choices. If the prior staff wasn't of KS's choices, then shame on TH for not giving him adequate latitude in issues that he should have power over.

IMHO, this whole ordeal has just cast an ugly view on BYU sports. I hope things go so well that we soon forget all of this, but it will be a challenge.

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

If Kalani wants to keep his job, which I assume he does, he can't afford another 2017-like season.

Big changes needed to happen or he will be out of a job.

If he makes all these changes and we repeat 2017, he's out. He has no scapegoats. He would have overhauled his staff and still under-performed.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

EM_Puma wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:11 pm Yet I'm glad he has the cajones to make changes he feels are needed ....
If we were flies hiding in Holmoe's office, I believe Tom Holmoe had a blunt conversation with Kalani Sitake. I suspect it was professional, courteous, direct, and blunt. Holmoe spelled out how the rubber hits the road and how the cow eats the cabbage. Improving the Cougs performance is not an option - it's mandatory. I believe Holmoe gave some well thought out advice. No doubt Kalani is motivated to turn the team around. But I believe that heart to heart conversation laid it out pretty plain, and was highly motivational for Kalani.

Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Mars »

pikoi wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:19 pm I'm hearing that Tevita Ofahengaue and Russell Tialavea are out. It seems that Kalani is continuing to make corrections in hopes of turning things around next year. My thoughts- TO wasn't a positive and a replacement was sorely needed. Not sure how much Russ helps or hurts things either way.
I thought T.O. was our best recruiting assistant. So color me surprised.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Based on this year's recruiting results, our best recruiting assistant was not good enough.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

You mean the 80+ ranked class isn't the best thing since sliced bread?

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

I'd heard some disturbing things about how poor the recruiting was. Recruits weren't treated the same on visits. Were given visibly different treatments and amenities on the same trip. Contacts weren't followed up on. Recruits weren't regularly communicated with. Just a mess.

Maybe Kalani has realized (with or without help?) that hiring all family and friends and guys with no experience isn't a good way to build a successful football program.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

snoscythe wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:28 am Based on this year's recruiting results, our best recruiting assistant was not good enough.
Maybe fire the worst guys first then?

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars