Kalani Trying to be More Like Bronco

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Kalani Trying to be More Like Bronco

Post by snoscythe »

Looks like Kalani is now trying to locate the baby they threw out with the bathwater in his first culture change and get discipline and accountability back:

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900 ... -2017.html

Sharper
Recruit
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: Kalani Trying to be More Like Bronco

Post by Sharper »

Lamb said one thing he sees right now is that BYU’s new coaches are a lot harder on their players.
With what we've heard about last year, this sounds like a welcome change.

I don't know if Sitake will be able to pull off a cultural work-level course correction or not, but it's good to hear publicly from Lamb he's spending a lot of time trying to make it happen. That's something a head coach needs to be concerned about, so it sounds like he's at least learning on the job.

From Sitake's perspective, he trusted the players to do what they want and it turned out not all of them wanted to just work hard on playing football. So he's (hopefully) learned his lesson and is dialing that way back and the discipline back up.
Schematically, he will be more aggressive on both sides of the ball.
We seem to always hear that from coaches. Hopefully this time it's true. One of the reasons for Philly's recent win was taking seriously the idea that statistics argue for a more aggressive approach to the game, especially on offense.

Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Fido »

snoscythe wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:00 pm Looks like Kalani is now trying to locate the baby they threw out with the bathwater in his first culture change and get discipline and accountability back:

Must be "hug a Bronco" day. Again....

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Fido wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:42 am
snoscythe wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:00 pm Looks like Kalani is now trying to locate the baby they threw out with the bathwater in his first culture change and get discipline and accountability back:

It would be a good start for Kalani....

ABYUFAN
Pro

Post by ABYUFAN »

I want Kalani to succeed - I don't see how he could possibly have done so without this. Good first move. Hopefully there's more good moves in his future.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

BroncoBot wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:03 am
Fido wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:42 am

It would be a good start for Kalani....
I think Kalani made a major mis-read of the situation when he came to BYU.

He was coming to a program that had stalled a bit, but was nevertheless a successful program where the coach had left for greener pastures.

Instead of treating BYU as a successful program, Kalani came in and treated it like a program that had fired an unsuccessful coach and in need of a complete culture change.

Instead of making small moves to preserve what worked and to make adjustments, Kalani moved too fast to make everything "mine" and put his stamp everywhere. That makes sense if you are replacing something that was failing, but it was a major misstep for a first-time head coach coming in to replace a successful coach.

Based on his and Lamb's comments over the past month, I think Kalani is figuring out that Bronco did some things right and he is trying to bring back what worked. He's not saying the words "Players Council", but what he and Lamb have described as building their own leaders to help communicate with the team is exactly what the Players Council under Bronco was -- a means to channel effective communication between staff and players and to develop player leaders who would hold the team accountable when the coaches weren't around.

These policy changes give me more confidence than I had when Crowton replaced Lavell and doubled-down on his failing policies. He is humble enough to identify weak spots and work on them.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

snoscythe wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:45 am
Instead of treating BYU as a successful program, Kalani came in and treated it like a program that had fired an unsuccessful coach and in need of a complete culture change.

I think this was the general feeling around the program for most fans as well. I felt like things should have been better on a year to year basis toward the end of Bronco's tenure, but also could see that BYU was not "failing" as so many ppl wanted to believe.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

So the players coach is now wanting to be a disciplinarian. I guess we will see if that works. Seems hard for the same coaches who were "pillows and feathers" to now be fire and brimstone, my kids would rebel against that unless because of the inconsistency. Oh well, I will root for them no matter what because they are my team. I hope they get this thing turned around. On another note, am I the only one who thinks that BYU would have been way better off to make Ed Lamb the HC. Too bad we have to have a card carrying mormon as HC or we could have had him.

Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Fido »

frdbtr wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:10 pm So the players coach is now wanting to be a disciplinarian. I guess we will see if that works. Seems hard for the same coaches who were "pillows and feathers" to now be fire and brimstone, my kids would rebel against that unless because of the inconsistency. Oh well, I will root for them no matter what because they are my team. I hope they get this thing turned around. On another note, am I the only one who thinks that BYU would have been way better off to make Ed Lamb the HC. Too bad we have to have a card carrying mormon as HC or we could have had him.
I don't think Kalani needs to be "the disciplinarian". They just need "A disciplinarian" on the staff. Lavell was never the discipline guy--he had coaches for that. Maybe some of the coaching changes put that in place. Guys like Detmer and Mahe were not going to be disciplinarians either.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

My first mission president was a disciplinary. He played by the rules. Nothing extra, but he made sure we stuck to was written in the white bible. The mission was successful, but as with all groups, especially 20 year olds, there were many that complained about his rigidness.

My second mission president came in and saw a mission hyper focused on rules. He believed missionary work was more about the spirit and following the whisperings of the HG. The hyper focus on rules was missing the mark. Plenty of missionaries complained upon his arrival of the cold, rules-first demeanor of my first mission president.

So, out went the rules. Instead, the emphasis was on love and principles. If something brought the spirit to you, it was fine. Tabernacle Choir was replaced with Metallica in some cases because Metallica is inspiring for some.

While I see where my second mission president was coming from and I tend to agree with him, telling a bunch of 20 year olds to go with their gut and to do what they feel inspired to do is a recipe for disaster.

Oh, everyone loved the new mission president. But in a matter of months a thriving mission on the verge of dividing went to one of the worst performing missions in Brazil. Before, the only missionaries that returned home early were ones with medical conditions. In a few months after my 2nd mission president, multiple missionaries were sent home for worthiness issues and it continued.

Kalani kind of reminds me of my 2nd mission president. He overreacted. He misinterpreted things. And while his approach may work well with self-motivated, mature adults, it doesn't work with 20 somethings.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel