BYU's 2018 Recruiting Class

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

BYU's 2018 Recruiting Class

Post by hawkwing »

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Re: BYU's 2018 Recruiting Class

Post by frdbtr »

So the master recruiter pulled out an 83. I don't think Bronco ever had a recruiting class rated that low. So much for the myth that Bronco was a bad recruiter, along with the myth that Sitake was going to put us into top 25 recruiting classes.

snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by snoscythe »

2013 recruiting class rank = #66
2014 recruiting class rank = #64
2015 recruiting class rank = #65
2016 recruiting class rank = #49 (Bronco-->Kalani transition class)
2017 recruiting class rank = #66
2018 recruiting class rank = #83-ish

Other than the "excitement" bump of the class he shared with Bronco, Kalani's recruiting skills are not impressing....

YNot
All-American

Post by YNot »

I don't pay too much attention to the #83 ranking. The 247sports site shows that we have 17 commits (we have 22) and the total points upon which the rankings are formulated favor teams with more commits. Rivals.com currently has us at #91...

We landed some potential playmakers - Romney, Finau, Holker, Nasilai, Alfrey, Conner and Wilson...and some intriguing projects - Opara, Miskela, Moore, Jones (the aussie rules punter - who happens to be the *heaviest* recruit signed today)...we also added 5 solid Olinemen.

Overall - decent. Lacks any "star" power, but decent.

But, the recruiting hype largely ignores a significant part of the team - transfers. In 2018, we have key contributors that were never part of a BYU recruiting class: Tolutau, Canada, T. Hoge, Empey, Tei-Kirby.

See also - Max Hall, Jordan Leslie, Uona Keveinga, Hebron Fangupo, Kelly Poppinga, Andrew Rich, Riley Nelson, etc.

And, some of BYU's highly-touted recruits didn't pan out like expected, for various reasons - Jake Heaps, Jason Munns, Ben Olson, Brayden Kearsley, Austin Holt, Troy Hinds, etc.

And, don't forget that some players return from missions this year, like Tooley, Hall, Gunther, Livai, and Southam.

Plus, there have been many preferred walkon "commits" that have had successful careers at BYU in the past. I fully expect several of these guys to have solid careers and to contribute to BYU football.

The BYU system doesn't work like the video game recruiting plan we want.
Last edited by YNot on Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

I'm happy we got Holker. And we got some transfers ready to step in.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

I guess we will see how the team does this year. I am in "wait and see" mode. so far, other than getting bailed out by Taysom and Jamaal, I am not impressed with Sitake as a head coach. We were sold that he would be a master recruiter, thus far that has been a myth. We were told that Bronco hated recruiting and that recruiting suffered under him because of it, so far that has been a myth. I hope we win more than 4 games this year.

Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Fido »

It is obvious that people are using this to validate their feelings about Sitake one way or the other. If people fully believe all the hype or hate, they are likely to be off one way or the other. Can we stop whining about how Sitake is no Bronco already? haha

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Fido wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:07 pm Can we stop whining about how Sitake is no Bronco already?
Sure. I'll just keep complaining he's an inept coach who is falling farther and farther short of the standard.

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

"I think people forget that only five players from Kalani's 1st class (46th ranked class) have played a down. Most of the kids from that class are in the program in 2018." @Mitch_Harper

a1247
Heisman Winner

Post by a1247 »

YNot wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:51 pm I don't pay too much attention to the #83 ranking. The 247sports site shows that we have 17 commits (we have 22) and the total points upon which the rankings are formulated favor teams with more commits. Rivals.com currently has us at #91...

We landed some potential playmakers - Romney, Finau, Holker, Nasilai, Alfrey, Conner and Wilson...and some intriguing projects - Opara, Miskela, Moore, Jones (the aussie rules punter - who happens to be the *heaviest* recruit signed today)...we also added 5 solid Olinemen.

Overall - decent. Lacks any "star" power, but decent.

But, the recruiting hype largely ignores a significant part of the team - transfers. In 2018, we have key contributors that were never part of a BYU recruiting class: Tolutau, Canada, T. Hoge, Empey, Tei-Kirby.

See also - Max Hall, Jordan Leslie, Uona Keveinga, Hebron Fangupo, Kelly Poppinga, Andrew Rich, Riley Nelson, etc.

And, some of BYU's highly-touted recruits didn't pan out like expected, for various reasons - Jake Heaps, Jason Munns, Ben Olson, Brayden Kearsley, Austin Holt, Troy Hinds, etc.

And, don't forget that some players return from missions this year, like Tooley, Hall, Gunther, Livai, and Southam.

Plus, there have been many preferred walkon "commits" that have had successful careers at BYU in the past. I fully expect several of these guys to have solid careers and to contribute to BYU football.

The BYU system doesn't work like the video game recruiting plan we want.
Perfectly said, most forget about all the transfers last year that had to sit out the year. On paper it's not what we all would like to see but let's see what they are like in 3 years.