Additional FB Coach?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Additional FB Coach?

Post by EM_Puma »

Several schools noted immediately, once the month began and a 10th coach for FB was authorized from the NCAA, but nothing yet from BYU.

I know of only Puketah brought on Anderson, but I haven't devoted the time to see what other schools and how many have similarly announced their 10th man? Anyone have a feel for it? Are we among the few who have not, or are most schools in our position?

My expectation was that it would happen as soon as we were able and so I'm a bit surprised that no one has been announced. Yet all such information seems to come from without rather than from within BYU, so that's not unusual.

snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: Additional FB Coach?

Post by snoscythe »

We'll know next week. They cannot officially hire the additional coaches until the 9th of January.

Some schools (e.g. Utah) are announcing who they plan to hire on the 9th.

Most schools (e.g. BYU) are waiting until the 9th to announce the hiring to avoid any doubt that they jumped the gun and violated NCAA regs.

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

That's like announcing who you plan on going to prom with as opposed to who you'll actually be going to prom with.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Gunk wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:05 pm That's like announcing who you plan on going to prom with as opposed to who you'll actually be going to prom with.
Yep. My guess is that the few schools who are making early announcements see a recruiting advantage.

For example, maybe Utah has its eye on some Oregon State verbal commit that it thinks Anderson can help them sway to Utah. Anderson can't recruit until he's officially hired next week, but until then Utah can make the announcement and then let the kid know that Anderson will want to talk to him in a few days.

canadiancoug24
Gray Shirt

Post by canadiancoug24 »

From the rumors I have been hearing it is looking like the 10th assistant will be on defense. Michael Spurlock, a defense/special teams assistant at UTSA is one of the rumored hires along with Cesar Rivas, the DC at Azusa Pacific and Preston Hadley. I was hoping for a RB's coach but I'm sure Grimes can handle that. I am definitely ok with the 10th assistant being on defense though. Need some new blood in there to get more accountability out of the defense.

Ddawg
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Ddawg »

Cesar Rivas-Sandoval (Azusa Pacific) has vast coaching experience (17 years) and has been very successful. I live about 10 min fro Azusa Pacific. He's a well respected coach that produces. He would be a solid hire.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Ddawg wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:36 pm Cesar Rivas-Sandoval (Azusa Pacific) has vast coaching experience (17 years) and has been very successful. I live about 10 min fro Azusa Pacific. He's a well respected coach that produces. He would be a solid hire.
Any idea why he is at such a small school?

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

The defense definitely needs the help.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

It's going to be an offensive position coach.

They've already stated that they aren't going to announce offensive position coach responsibilities until this hire is announced.

Doesn't make sense to delay that announcement during recruiting period if the new hire will be a defensive coach.

Then again, our head coach making these decisions is the same guy who gave us this gem after taking a timeout to basically tell the other team in all caps to WATCH OUT FOR A FAKE HERE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OUamoi1TRc

My guess would be either Louis Wong or Cary Whittingham.

CrimsonCoug
Senior

Post by CrimsonCoug »

I love Louis Wong--he was in the bishopric of one of my student wards close to 20 years ago now. Good man. But Wong is foremost an o-line coach, and there are already two of them on the new staff.

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK