Hiring Friends and Family

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Hiring Friends and Family

Post by snoscythe »

ABYUFAN wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:55 pm
snoscythe wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:38 pm
ABYUFAN wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:42 pm I'm not convinced that Roderick was a good hire. Experience of sucking is experience - but not actually an improvement on the sucking that was already in place. But I'll hope for the best
I would agree with you if Roderick was hired as the OC, but he wasn't. That's Grimes.

As a WR coach at the U, Roderick had 4 receivers wind up being drafted in the NFL.

Roderick as a WR coach over Cahoon? Mega-upgrade.
I thought that I read him listed as "Passing game coordinator". If that just means "WR coach" then I'll worry much much less
Even as the Passing Game Coordinator, I have no issue with that move. He did well enough at that position to not only hold it for 3 years at the U, but to be promoted to Co-Offensive Coordinator.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

SpiffCoug wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:50 pm I'll also give Kalani props for firing his cousin, Mahe. That had to have been a difficult decision and conversation. Hopefully this portends good things for Kalani going forward.

I want him to succeed because I want BYU to succeed.
Did he? Or did Grimes?

ABYUFAN
Pro

Post by ABYUFAN »

snoscythe wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:29 pm
ABYUFAN wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:55 pm
snoscythe wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:38 pm
ABYUFAN wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:42 pm I'm not convinced that Roderick was a good hire. Experience of sucking is experience - but not actually an improvement on the sucking that was already in place. But I'll hope for the best
I would agree with you if Roderick was hired as the OC, but he wasn't. That's Grimes.

As a WR coach at the U, Roderick had 4 receivers wind up being drafted in the NFL.

Roderick as a WR coach over Cahoon? Mega-upgrade.
I thought that I read him listed as "Passing game coordinator". If that just means "WR coach" then I'll worry much much less
Even as the Passing Game Coordinator, I have no issue with that move. He did well enough at that position to not only hold it for 3 years at the U, but to be promoted to Co-Offensive Coordinator.
I have seen nothing out of Utah's offense while he was involved with it to lead me to believe that he is in any way our best option. Nothing. I want to be wrong on this... so hopefully next year I say "good job" and "I was wrong"

canadiancoug24
Gray Shirt

Post by canadiancoug24 »

I feel that A-Rod is a solid hire. We will see how he does and we will see how good of a hire this actually was. I'm hoping for the best with all 3 of these hires but as stated on the board, the only one that makes me a little nervous is A-Rod, mostly because he will probably be working with the QB's. I get where everyone is coming from about his past at the U but as we have seen with the dearth of OC's that they have had under Whittingham, it is pretty clear who is really the problem here....IMO

SenorCougar
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by SenorCougar »

EM_Puma wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:47 pm
snoscythe wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:38 pm I'm just waiting for some accountability on the defensive side of the ball now.
Purely as an armchair fan, I give the defense a pass this last season. I believe they did well enough considering how often the offense put them on the field all season.
Sorry, but I wasn’t impressed defensively either. I understand that they were on the field a lot, in part because the offense could sustain any drives However, they didn’t do much to help themselves get off the field either. The Wisconsin game where the defense let the QB complete 18 of 19 was hard to swallow.