Another decommit, Jaren Mitchell, WR

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Another decommit, Jaren Mitchell, WR

Post by hawkwing »

Ddawg
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: Another decommit, Jaren Mitchell, WR

Post by Ddawg »

A loss is a loss. But, his other choices are Utah St, Colorado St, Liberty U, Stephen F. Austin, and Central Arkansas. Unless other schools join the hunt. His best options are the Y, Utah St, or Co St.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by SpiffCoug »

Wow. That Sitake is just a master recruiter!

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

SpiffCoug wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:51 am Wow. That Sitake is just a master recruiter!
You have to be patient. He hasn't got his mojo going yet. Next year. Then it's time to reassess. Mojo is slow.

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

Speculation on the interwebs is that it may be a pulled offer. Several of the recent decommits are undersized players out of Texas recruited by Detmer (RB Joshua Oglesby, 5' 7" 180 and WR Jaren Mitchell, 5' 10" 175). Oglesby was 2*, Mitchell 3*. Dinkelmann isn't undersized and is 3*--but they also have a bunch of QBs on scholarship for the foreseeable future--especially after adding Stacy Conner and Zach Wilson who are both early enrollees who are not planning on a mission.
Could it be that the new coaching staff is looking at these guys and trying to spend the scholarships on the players that fit what they are looking for most and fit the team needs for the offense they want to run? If so, work it out now before you get them in your program for 4 years. People make it sound like these are huge losses because the coaching staff are idiots. Sounds more to me like they are managing their recruiting class. They had more guys on the list than they had room for--and actually still do.
See Loyal Cougars' recriuting spreadsheet.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

We need WRs.

I have no idea how good the guy is, but if he's fast and has half way descent hands, he's better than anyone we currently have on the roster.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

Fido wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:49 pm Speculation on the interwebs is that it may be a pulled offer. Several of the recent decommits are undersized players out of Texas recruited by Detmer (RB Joshua Oglesby, 5' 7" 180 and WR Jaren Mitchell, 5' 10" 175). Oglesby was 2*, Mitchell 3*. Dinkelmann isn't undersized and is 3*--but they also have a bunch of QBs on scholarship for the foreseeable future--especially after adding Stacy Conner and Zach Wilson who are both early enrollees who are not planning on a mission.
Could it be that the new coaching staff is looking at these guys and trying to spend the scholarships on the players that fit what they are looking for most and fit the team needs for the offense they want to run? If so, work it out now before you get them in your program for 4 years. People make it sound like these are huge losses because the coaching staff are idiots. Sounds more to me like they are managing their recruiting class. They had more guys on the list than they had room for--and actually still do.
See Loyal Cougars' recriuting spreadsheet.
I will believe this as soon as I start seeing these decommits replaced with higher quality recruits. Until then, they are big losses because of incompetent coaching. As far as the "master recruiter" thing. That has been debunked as a myth. Kalani hasn't recruited any better than Bronco. I know the comment was TIC though.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

Wasn't Brandon Ogletree and undersized player from Texas? He turned out Ok I though.

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

frdbtr wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:57 am Wasn't Brandon Ogletree and undersized player from Texas? He turned out Ok I though.
Well, you are right. Maybe we should be going with the Texas all-under 6' squad. Nothing screams success like "undersized".

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

I don't think the fact that Kalani and crew are losing so many undersized decommits is proof that his reputation as a master recruiter is overrated, it's the fact that he and staff originally identified, recruited, and committed these kids. Then they can't even keep them.

It would be one thing if the 2 star kids were being replaced by 4 star kids, but I'm not seeing that happen and it also says something about a staff that gets commits from 2 star kids and because they didn't recruit the 4 star kids to begin with.

Just seems like the 3 recruiting classes Kalani has had so far have been not very good.