I don't get the Grimes hire.

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: I don't get the Grimes hire.

Post by hawkwing »

byufan4ever wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:30 amAnd on a side note: was Detmer just too nice and not able to hold his players accountable and not able to stand up to Sitake?
Yes, I think so.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

I think everyone on the staff is too nice. It all comes back to Kurtz and his "pillows and feathers" comment. No one was holding anyone accountable. From the stories I've heard about Grimes from former BYU Olinemen that played for him, he is a hard nosed coach that demands perfection. Jake Kuresa said on his radio show that he can't count the amount of times he got chewed out in a big way by grimes, but he still loves him. This is a good hire on the surface, now we just need to see if he turns out a good offense. We know he is going to change the offensive culture, I just hope it turns into wins. If it doesn't, I hope he does well and the next HC retains him.
Last edited by frdbtr on Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

I also hope he retains Detmer as QB coach if Detmer would do that, so he could get some college coaching experience. I still think Detmer's offensive mind is a valuable thing even though he wasn't able to create a powerful offense. He knows football and that kind of knowledge can be valuable. If he doesn't stay on staff, I guess we can live with that but I feel it is a shame to let him go completely.

CrimsonCoug
Senior

Post by CrimsonCoug »

Just because his players love him, doesn't mean he didn't hold them accountable. Kuresa was saying that was part of the Grimes mystique; and in his press conference he repeated a coaching mantra he's held as a truism: You can coach them as hard as you can love them.

And I do think that deep down Ty was just an incredibly nice, understanding guy who wanted to give people more chances and took them at their word when they said they wanted to be better. He's an outstanding man, and would make a great Bishop--because, thankfully, eternal salvation is not the zero-sum game that football is.

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK
CrimsonCoug
Senior

Post by CrimsonCoug »

And I've gotta say, Grimes has been the best OL coach BYU has had for the last 20+years. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I wouldn't be surprised if he coached more NFL O-linemen from BYU in his 3 years than in the 10 years following combined.

If memory serves, up until the Mendenhall-led exodus, Grimes is the ONLY BYU position coach to be recruited from BYU in the last 15 years. That says something: he's good and others knew it. And he continued to move on to better and better things. That also says something: he's pinning his future on a turnaround project at BYU (highly risky), but don't count on him staying longer than 2 successful seasons. Three if we're lucky.

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK
ABYUFAN
Pro

Post by ABYUFAN »

CrimsonCoug wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:21 pm And I've gotta say, Grimes has been the best OL coach BYU has had for the last 20+years. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I wouldn't be surprised if he coached more NFL O-linemen from BYU in his 3 years than in the 10 years following combined.

If memory serves, up until the Mendenhall-led exodus, Grimes is the ONLY BYU position coach to be recruited from BYU in the last 15 years. That says something: he's good and others knew it. And he continued to move on to better and better things. That also says something: he's pinning his future on a turnaround project at BYU (highly risky), but don't count on him staying longer than 2 successful seasons. Three if we're lucky.
I agree with this. I'd like his next stop to be a P5 head coaching position because of his offense at BYU in 3 years

Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Mars »

Word was that Detmer asked more of the players in terms of film study than any other coach.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Mars wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:53 pm Word was that Detmer asked more of the players in terms of film study than any other coach.
Asked? he should have demanded.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

BroncoBot wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:17 pm
Mars wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:53 pm Word was that Detmer asked more of the players in terms of film study than any other coach.
But if you don't have the support of the HC...

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

SpiffCoug wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:14 am
BroncoBot wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:17 pm
But if you don't have the support of the HC...
Then that's where the real problem is. isn't it.