My only problem with Grimes:

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
jvquarterback
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

My only problem with Grimes:

Post by jvquarterback »

He didn't try to convince any of his commits to come with him. Even if he failed with every one I would have preferred that he tried. I know they were LSU commits and it wasn't likely but come on.
What do you do in a situation like this where you’re responsible for several offensive line commitments less than a week before the early signing period?

It is a funny deal. They found out before I had an opportunity to tell them. Again, you’d like for them to hear it from you first. I’ve had conversations with all of them. It’s weird because, although I’m leaving, I’ve spent an unbelievable amount of time and energy to get them to LSU. I want them to be here. I believe this is the right place for them. I don’t want them to have any second thoughts because I’m leaving. I’ve talked to all of them about the fact that, even though I have a very strong relationship with each of them, that’s not the only reason they’re coming to LSU.
My favorite thing - Grimes claims to have a certain set of skills.

Great article.
http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/ ... 2e.html?33

If ye love the tranquility of servitude better than the contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Sam Adams
snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: My only problem with Grimes:

Post by snoscythe »

jvquarterback wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:13 pm He didn't try to convince any of his commits to come with him. Even if he failed with every one I would have preferred that he tried. I know they were LSU commits and it wasn't likely but come on.
I give him a pass on that. At LSU he's dealing with an entirely different paradigm.

When I read "I believe this is the right place fore them", I can easily read into that an implication that "these guys need to stay at LSU cuz they would not fit in on an LDS campus in Provo, Utah".

My only problem is that he comes with less play-calling experience than Ty Detmer did. We've aborted the experiment with one previously unknown, and now we're rolling the dice on a guy who has the collegiate experience Ty did not, but does not have the play-calling/offense-designing experience Ty at least had at a HS level.

BYU's never going to get a proven OC (unless they go yank someone from the FCS), so we're always going to be dealing with unknowns. We're just trying a different unknown this time.

ABYUFAN
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by ABYUFAN »

I think that that is actually the Best part of Grimes. He was recruiting kids to LSU, not to Grimes University. Have them honor their commitment, it's to the school after all.

This says to me that he's a guy whose word means something, a guy who won't buy out games with some school that intimidates him because he's mad at some kid for doing something stupid.

Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

jvquarterback wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:13 pm He didn't try to convince any of his commits to come with him. Even if he failed with every one I would have preferred that he tried. I know they were LSU commits and it wasn't likely but come on.
To make a move like that would have been a gross breach of etiquette, and integrity. Grimes showed class and integrity by not even considering it.

selway
Gray Shirt

Post by selway »

Grimes was totally involved in the game plan play calling according to Jake Kuresa today on Sports Nation and according to several sources on different shows I have followed, is much better prepared in the total offensive package including play calling than anyone from a FCS caliber program. Huge hire with invaluable experience completely different than a high school 3 year coach.

TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Junior

Post by TulaneVandyRiceCoug »

I think part of the recruiting effort is influenced by the fact he stays with LSU through their bowl.

Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Mars »

Jeff ain't perfect, but his strengths do seem to match-up well with Sitake's weaknesses.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

I will be in wait and see mode with this hire just like I was with the staff in its previous form. I am excited because he was the coach that created the best Olines that we have seen at BYU since Roger French retired. He is a hard nosed disciplinarian and that makes me excited since last year the entire team looked soft and passive. I am hoping for the best. I don't expect him to bring LSU recruits to BYU. What could we possibly offer over what they can? (Football wise and lets be honest SEC kids are going to be all about football) I do expect him to bring the best possible recruits we can get at BYU though and maximize their potential.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

Again, we got a guy with legitimate, D1 coaching experience from a high-caliber, winning program. That's more than can be said of our HC.

Yes, it's wait and see, but on paper Grimes is a great hire.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
jvquarterback
Heisman Winner

Post by jvquarterback »

Gunk wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:57 pm Again, we got a guy with legitimate, D1 coaching experience from a high-caliber, winning program. That's more than can be said of our HC.

Yes, it's wait and see, but on paper Grimes is a great hire.
Great would have been if he took an OC job at a D2 or FCS or low tier FBS school after being OL coach in the SEC, then coming to BYU. He was a good hire. If he can bring in a really good OC from the lower ranks as a position coach he'll be a very good hire.

If ye love the tranquility of servitude better than the contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Sam Adams