Steve Cleveland on FB team-- "It's the Culture, Stupid"

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Steve Cleveland on FB team-- "It's the Culture, Stupid"

Post by snoscythe »

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=46216775&nid=2 ... -can-solve
Steve Cleveland wrote:I don’t know specifically, but the sources that I have and the people that I’ve talked to just said there are some things that need to get cleaned up there.

Guys need to understand where they are and who they are. It’s not like that doesn’t go on year in and year out at BYU. You’re going to have it; young people are going to make mistakes.

Just watching that football team play, it just seemed really undisciplined at times.

I’ve got three or four good friends in the football business that are head coaches right now. All of them watch film on this team and they just felt like there wasn’t the execution, there didn’t seem to be preparation, (and) that was very unlike BYU. I’m not pointing fingers, I’m just telling you what those that I know (said).

The fact is just looking at the overall big picture, the culture is not good there right now at a lot of different levels.

You start with the coaches, and I think those are the things that need to get fixed. Kalani felt like (changing coordinators) was the first thing he wanted to do. My personal opinion is I’m not so sure that was the main issue. I think the bigger issue is there’s a culture there from head coach down, there needs to be some changes made.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: Steve Cleveland on FB team-- "It's the Culture, Stupid"

Post by frdbtr »

And this is why, even though the offense was really bad, that people feel Ty was a scapegoat. Like I have said before, there was plenty of evidence to support the firing of Ty Detmer but his firing isn't going to fix the problems with this team. The offense may very well be much better next year but they will still find ways to lose games. USU last year being the prime example.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

Agree with Cleveland and agree with frdbtr.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

When "fun" is your culture goal, other adjectives follow in short course....like "undisciplined" and "unprepared".

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

I had a coach who liked to say that there's two ways to have fun in sports, and that they were mutually exclusive. The first is goofing off. The second is winning.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Mars wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:23 pm I had a coach who liked to say that there's two ways to have fun in sports, and that they were mutually exclusive. The first is goofing off. The second is winning.
snoscythe wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:11 pm When "fun" is your culture goal, other adjectives follow in short course....like "undisciplined" and "unprepared".
AT least Kalani didn't put football 5th in priorities.
My coach would say "I'm only having fun when I'm winning".

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

Everyone on my wrestling team in high school had all sorts of "colorful metaphors" to describe the coach during practice, but when the state championships rolled in, everyone loved him. Whether you are a players coach or not, the team will never succeed unless the coaches demand they work hard and execute with perfection. Last years team didn't look like it was doing that at all. I can tell you one thing, if Grimes is indeed the new Ocoordinator, the Offense will work hard, and the Oline will be really good. Now whether the defense starts getting off the field will be another matter.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

Cleveland is a classy guy. I trust his opinion and I'm sure it took some courage to give his opinion as he basically called Kalani out (starts with you, coach).

As much as I like the hire of Grimes, I'm skeptical of Grimes having success with a coach like Kalani at the helm. Kalani comes from subpar, losing programs. Kalani wouldn't know what it takes to win if it came up to him and slapped him the face.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Gunk wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:06 pm Cleveland is a classy guy. I trust his opinion and I'm sure it took some courage to give his opinion as he basically called Kalani out (starts with you, coach).

As much as I like the hire of Grimes, I'm skeptical of Grimes having success with a coach like Kalani at the helm. Kalani comes from subpar, losing programs. Kalani wouldn't know what it takes to win if it came up to him and slapped him the face.
If I'm Grimes, I make certain stipulations before agreeing to this. I'd tell the staff that the offense is not to be messed with and I won't accept any insubordination. My practices may go longer than the rest of the team and the offensive players may be held to different standards than the rest of the team. I'd want my own staff from the top to the bottom. If I don't like Detmer, Mahe, Cahoon, they are gone. If I agree with them on staff, they stay.

I think Grimes, if he really is coming, has a good shot at becoming HC at BYU in a year or two if he plays his cards well and the offense does well. This of course, would reflect well on Kalani and may save him his job.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Grimes, if successful on offense, would definitely be a potential future head coach.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars