Zadock Dinkleman decommits

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Ddawg
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Zadock Dinkleman decommits

Post by Ddawg »

BroncoBot wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:03 pm I've never seen this many recruits jump shipbor decommit. There was always a handful, but never like this year. I'll always be a BYU fan, but if I was being recruited, I'd have a hard time commiting to BYu and turning down obvious better teams after this year.
It's no secret BYU football is a mess. The current situation of the team and the coaching staff all starts at the top. All paths lead to Tom Holmoe. They won't do it, but Holmoe should be shown the door.

BOID
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BOID »

I think Sitake should be shown the door before Holmoe. I can’t imagine TH being behind the firing of Detmer. No insider info to offer here, but I believe that TH’s only contribution to that would have been acquiescence to Sitake’s demands, or likely ultimatum to replace Ty.

It seems to me that Holmoe has worked very hard to advance BYU’s prospects. Even in respect to the tough schedule, I do not fault him. BYU has normally been strong enough, skilled enough to take a good fight to any team, and so TH should not have known before hand, of this season’s disastrous developments.

Regarding Detmer’s BYU deal, IIRC, he was guaranteed a number of years in the job. Does that mean a huge buy-out, or might it have included conditions, such as willingness to continue on staff in other capacities? If a new OC does not want to retain him, then I expect a big termination pay package. Meanwhile, Detmer’s public announcement says he “will always be a Cougar,” but does not hint about desires to stay as position coach, or to leave. That must still be undetermined, or Dinklemann would not have decommitted.

Much hemorrhage/damage could have been averted if the transition had been completed prior to opening a huge hole in BYU’s hull.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

I think Kalani should be fired right now and a real HC hired. Since that won't happen, I want to see the house cleaned(including the AD) next year after a similar 2018 season.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

If the ship isn't righted next year, Tom and Kalani need to go.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
ABYUFAN
Pro

Post by ABYUFAN »

Gunk wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:06 am If the ship isn't righted next year, Tom and Kalani need to go.
I see many people with this sentiment, but I'm not sure I can tell where Tom has done something worthy of firing... was he supposed to NOT hire Sitake? Was he supposed to step in the middle of this year's dumpster fire and meddle in a coaching staff in the middle of the season? I don't get the Holmoe hate (other than it being a sign that we as a fan base are super duper mad and are ready to burn every suspected witch - real or not.)

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

A WR has also dropped from a commit to a Soft commit this week.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Mars wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:44 am A WR has also dropped from a commit to a Soft commit this week.
A soft WR? Sounds like he fits right into Cahoon's system.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Gunner Romney. It would help to know who will be OC and his assistants.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

ABYUFAN wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:54 am
Gunk wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:06 am If the ship isn't righted next year, Tom and Kalani need to go.
I see many people with this sentiment, but I'm not sure I can tell where Tom has done something worthy of firing... was he supposed to NOT hire Sitake? Was he supposed to step in the middle of this year's dumpster fire and meddle in a coaching staff in the middle of the season? I don't get the Holmoe hate (other than it being a sign that we as a fan base are super duper mad and are ready to burn every suspected witch - real or not.)
If a VP at a company starts hurting the performance of a product line it's on the CEO to fix it. You're right, BYU football was a dumpster fire, one that Holmoe started.

Holmoe hired Kalani. Holmoe hired Detmer. Holmoe allowed this entire staff to be hired and when the dumpster fire raged Holmoe did nothing. I don't see how you could not blame Holmoe.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

ABYUFAN wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:54 am
2 years ago when Bronco left, there was only one guy who had a shot at becoming the HC even thought multiple candidates expressed interest. 2 candidates that IMO were as qualified and had shown better results that Sitake commented that BYU had their sights set on someone else as to why they weren't given a shot. This is why I want at least a serious review of Tom Holmoe's Job if we don't make a bowl game next year. I hate buddy hires. BYU should hire the best guy for the job regardless of whether this person was a BYU player or whatever in the past. IMO from what I have read, that was not the case 2 years ago.