Harmon: TY was a scapegoat

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Harmon: TY was a scapegoat

Post by frdbtr »

I watched a soft passive team on both sides of the ball all year. Ty's offense was horrible but the defense was not physical and did not dominate anyone including PSU. They held the scores down but also gave up 14 play 90 yard clock consuming drives on a game basis which allowed bad teams to end up winning the game. I don't care what the scoring defense stats say, the defense was bad too. IMO this entire experiment has been a failure and the fact that Ty detmer was the first to lose his job makes him the scapegoat.

Ddawg
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Ddawg »

Mars wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:50 pm OC with 120th ranked offense fired, people cry "Skapegoat!" Those people are idiots.
Apparently you did not get the memo ......
hawkwing wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:22 am Please remember we can have discussions with respect to each other and in the choice of words we use. Lets not get this thread locked because we're passionate about a topic and cannot find a way to eloquently express our opinions.
Savvy?

CrimsonCoug
Senior

Post by CrimsonCoug »

mtnradio wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:08 pm Was the firing justifiable?
Did Ty Detmer get to: a) pick the position coaches on his side of the ball? b) fire the position coaches on his side of the ball that didn't perform as he needed? c) ensure there was sufficient time on the practice field? d) ensure there was sufficient time in the weight room with a competent S&C coach? e) ensure there was sufficient time in the film room for all position groups on his side of the ball?
This. All day long, this. I don't disagree that Ty was bad. Listening to him chat with Greg Wrubell, though, it's clear that he was learning and that he was on an upward trajectory. (For example, I think he moved from the run to the pass from UNLV to UMASS because he figured that UMASS would have seen the effective run game vs UNLV and would have prepared for it; therefore, he focused on the passing game--figuring that UMASS would not have prepared for that (then when he got behind, he got scared, worried that Sitake was breathing down his neck and telling the media that he wanted to see BYU 'air it out' so he doubled down on the pass). That game theory works in the NFL where you can have offenses and defenses that can switch relative strengths, but not with BYU this year who had gone through so many changes at all of the skill positions that they never had an identity. UNLV finally gave them a bit of an identity and in his inexperience as a college OC he made a bad strategic decision. He acknowledged that mistake with Wrubell following UMASS and corrected it with Hawai'i.)

But back to the point--yes, Ty had a miserable year, but he acknowledged his mistakes. I haven't seen anything that indicates that the S&C coach has learned anything this year. In fact, Sitake has doubled down on defending him--something he never did for Ty (and in fact, did the opposite). Losing 37 on the 2-deep is unprecedented, and a guy as inexperienced as Ty couldn't figure out how to adjust enough to come up with some wins. In my mind, the problem starts with work ethic/culture and conditioning. And THIS is why I think Ty is the scapegoat. Because the root causes of the problem are not addressed, only the symptoms are.

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK
frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

The offense threw the ball so much against UMASS because they had 9 guys in the box all game. BYU's offensive line laid a huge egg in that game and that is why we lost. 7 sacks guys, 7 sacks. Why did they lay such a massive egg in between huge games of dominating and rushing the ball? we may never know.

Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Mars »

1- I think some offensive coaches will be let go shortly after a new OC is named.

2- Ty hasn't even been fired. He is still being paid to act as the team's QB Coach.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars