Dick Harmon on Rise and Fall of BYU Athletics

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Dick Harmon on Rise and Fall of BYU Athletics

Post by Mars »

1970. Huh.
Ok.

Not sure why you are trying to label Aversion Therapy and Conversion Therapy as "Mormon". Those were very common everywhere nationally, until the proof showed that none of it worked at all. Which makes your argument seem dishonest.

The actual experiences of yourself and friends in Provo is more relevant, and pertinent, to me. I wish people of all backgrounds could be as comfortable in an LDS Church as many visiting fans are at a BYU football game.
Last edited by Mars on Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
nuk13
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by nuk13 »

UCChris wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:53 pm
ABYUFAN wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:46 pm
UCChris wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:25 pm
Mars wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:58 pm How is BYU bigoted, in your opinion?
From firing a BYUi professor for posting her support of LGBT rights to marry, to electrocuting gay men's penises in the 70's. There's a myriad of examples.
this raises a few questions Do you consider BYU and BYUI to be the same school (and why the lowercase I? Idaho is a state, which most people consider to be a proper noun) Also are you certain that she was an actual professor, I recall that she was an adjunct faculty member. Also was she terminated or was her contract expired and not renewed?

and 2 - 50 years old actions, in your mind, are relevant to how an institution is judged today? Got it. Why stop at the 1970s? 1970 is closer in time to 1930 than it is to today let's look how every institution treated people in 1930, and use that to form the basis of our judgment. Also how do you know which part of the guys were subject to electroshock therapy?
Sorry, my phone autocorrected it to lowercase, since thats how it usually is in tech these days (iPhone, etc.) I do consider them to be the same since they are both governed by the same body (the 12 head honchos)

She was an adjunct-professor, so I guess we're both right there? And she was terminated.

Here's an article about a gentleman recounting his experience in the "conversion therapy" in the 70's. He explicitly states where the shocks occurred.

https://www.google.com/amp/abcnews.go.c ... d=13240700

I'm college aged and have several friends that have received less than stellar treatment by staff and students at BYU for being gay. The institution as a whole has a very "we have to accept gays, but we really wish we didn't" vibe to it.

Vibe = opinion.

KingCoug
All-American

Post by KingCoug »

From firing a BYUi professor for posting her support of LGBT rights to marry, to electrocuting gay men's penises in the 70's. There's a myriad of examples.
Are you serious? Here we go again. Sounds like you're one of these numbskulls who think because Jesus was a nice guy, he's ok with anything.

News flash, genius. It's BYU - a private university that's owned by the Church. The Church has its doctrine.

Assuming you're really a BYU fan - and I'm not sure you really are - screw this "big tent" nonsense when it comes to BYU fans. You'd feel much more comfortable among the Ute fan base. Plenty of "enlightened" acceptance of all sorts of things. Now get lost.

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director
Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Chill KingCoug. You get a little Ragey when you're hungry. Have a Snickers.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

Mars wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:26 am Chill KingCoug. You get a little Ragey when you're hungry. Have a Snickers.
LOl! good one.

Sharper
Recruit

Post by Sharper »

Mars wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:26 am Chill KingCoug. You get a little Ragey when you're hungry. Have a Snickers.
Shouldn't that be a Mars bar, instead? :munch:

BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by BoiseBYU »

Classic! When I am getting ragey, I am a rolos man myself

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

KingCoug wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:58 pm
Are you serious? Here we go again. Sounds like you're one of these numbskulls who think because Jesus was a nice guy, he's ok with anything.

News flash, genius. It's BYU - a private university that's owned by the Church. The Church has its doctrine.

Assuming you're really a BYU fan - and I'm not sure you really are - screw this "big tent" nonsense when it comes to BYU fans. You'd feel much more comfortable among the Ute fan base. Plenty of "enlightened" acceptance of all sorts of things. Now get lost.
Whether or not you feel like BYU should be welcoming of fans of all stripes or not CougarCorner.com is 100% committed to being open to all BYU fans, whether they be our good friends among the Quorum of the Twelve, or those who are not LDS and only are fans of the Cougars from a football perspective. All are welcome here and all are required to treat the others with respect.