The team hasn't quit

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

The team hasn't quit

Post by frdbtr »

A few posters are declaring that the team quit and that justifies firing the coaches. I disagree, I don't think the team ever quit, I don't think they ever started. This thing was a disaster from the Portland state game. I was more angry after the Portland state game than I have been at BYU football since BYU lost to Wyoming 10-13 (I think) under Crowton. The team has never been physical on either side of the ball, the team has never played hard on either side of the ball. Even in the UNLV win we had Shumway casually catch a perfectly thrown deep ball 1 foot out of bounds and he didn't even seem pissed or embarrassed at himself. I am sure that the coaches will get another year so I expect to see another lazy and uninterested team next year too. This is beyond frustrating. I wonder if BYU will average 40k fans in the stands next year if we don't see major change.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: The team hasn't quit

Post by SpiffCoug »

Yep. I think the coaches and players knew back in August that this season was lost. We never showed any heart in any game. I've never felt that BYU played hard in any game. I think we've been going through the motions for for 3 months now.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

I get the impression Kalani thought showing up and having fun with his bros would somehow translate into wins. He was wrong.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
a1247
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by a1247 »

And hire who? I keep asking the question and I never get a realistic answer. Ken Niumatalolo and Andy Reid are not walking through the door and I've never heard of Lance Anderson ever being mentioned. So who exactly do you think BYU is bringing in to clean this mess up?

Let's see who wants to walk into a program who just had there worse season since 1955 and oh yah let's not forget recruiting restrictions, budget restrictions, no conference, a huge pain dealing with the honor code and traditionally very very cheap when it comes to coaches pay.

Despite what we all want to think there is not a long list of qualified candidates busting the door down waving there temple recommend in the air saying hire me hire me I want to fix this dumpster fire. All the while having there hands cuffed and an honor code commity ready to jump and discipline the players for having there hair a quarter inch too long.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougs_Rule »

frdbtr wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:12 pm A few posters are declaring that the team quit and that justifies firing the coaches. I disagree, I don't think the team ever quit, I don't think they ever started. This thing was a disaster from the Portland state game. I was more angry after the Portland state game than I have been at BYU football since BYU lost to Wyoming 10-13 (I think) under Crowton. The team has never been physical on either side of the ball, the team has never played hard on either side of the ball. Even in the UNLV win we had Shumway casually catch a perfectly thrown deep ball 1 foot out of bounds and he didn't even seem pissed or embarrassed at himself. I am sure that the coaches will get another year so I expect to see another lazy and uninterested team next year too. This is beyond frustrating. I wonder if BYU will average 40k fans in the stands next year if we don't see major change.
You need a mood stabilizer. I actually think you greatly dishonor the players who have played hard. Your hyperbolic nature all-or-nothing rants seem to be a display indicating that no one is listening to you anymore and so you need to amp up the reasonable concerns and anger to theridiculous and juvenile. You can complain all you want about the coaches, but have some class, grow a pair, and quit dissing on the players who have tried very hard.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Our players look like they lack heart. Our coaches seem to find losing amusing.

I think Ken or Lance would take the job, if offered.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

a1247 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:23 pm And hire who? I keep asking the question and I never get a realistic answer. Ken Niumatalolo and Andy Reid are not walking through the door and I've never heard of Lance Anderson ever being mentioned. So who exactly do you think BYU is bringing in to clean this mess up?

Let's see who wants to walk into a program who just had there worse season since 1955 and oh yah let's not forget recruiting restrictions, budget restrictions, no conference, a huge pain dealing with the honor code and traditionally very very cheap when it comes to coaches pay.

Despite what we all want to think there is not a long list of qualified candidates busting the door down waving there temple recommend in the air saying hire me hire me I want to fix this dumpster fire. All the while having there hands cuffed and an honor code commity ready to jump and discipline the players for having there hair a quarter inch too long.
Oh, I don't know. lets take a shot at someone. This staff is a mess. Practically anyone could do better. Lance Anderson was interested when the job was open last time, maybe he would be again. His defenses at Stanford are pretty good, maybe he could translate that into being a good HC like Bronco did.

CrimsonCoug
Senior

Post by CrimsonCoug »

One of the huge benefits that Bronco had was being an assistant under the HC at BYU for a while. BYU is such a unique place, and coaching at BYU even more so, that having some experience seeing those issues and formulating a strategy to address them--before actually needing to do so--was a huge benefit. I think that has been overlooked.

LaVell had that benefit as the DC coaching under Hudspeth. Bronco had that as the DC under Crowton. Both were successful.
Neither Hudspeth nor Crowton nor Sitake had that benefit. All of them had poor showings.

Yeah, it's just a correlation, and the sample size is small, but it's a perfect correlation.

To me, that indicates that elevating Steve Kaufusi or perhaps bringing back Nick Howell might be possibilities. I'm not saying that the current staff should go, but if they do, we should pay attention to what has worked at this uniquely challenging institution.

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

a1247 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:23 pm And hire who? I keep asking the question and I never get a realistic answer. Ken Niumatalolo and Andy Reid are not walking through the door and I've never heard of Lance Anderson ever being mentioned. So who exactly do you think BYU is bringing in to clean this mess up?

To borrow a rejoinder from another poster in another thread: Who is going to do any worse?

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

I'd be ok making a huge pitch for Lance Anderson at Stanford or Darrell Bevell w/ the Seahawks.

I'd even like to think BYU would reach out to Steve Sarkisian.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!