The team hasn't quit

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: The team hasn't quit

Post by Brayden Green »

CrimsonCoug wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:04 am One of the huge benefits that Bronco had was being an assistant under the HC at BYU for a while. BYU is such a unique place, and coaching at BYU even more so, that having some experience seeing those issues and formulating a strategy to address them--before actually needing to do so--was a huge benefit. I think that has been overlooked.

LaVell had that benefit as the DC coaching under Hudspeth. Bronco had that as the DC under Crowton. Both were successful.
Neither Hudspeth nor Crowton nor Sitake had that benefit. All of them had poor showings.

Yeah, it's just a correlation, and the sample size is small, but it's a perfect correlation.

To me, that indicates that elevating Steve Kaufusi or perhaps bringing back Nick Howell might be possibilities. I'm not saying that the current staff should go, but if they do, we should pay attention to what has worked at this uniquely challenging institution.
You want the guy that thought "Casting Shadows" was a good enough defensive idea to effectively kill our defense for an entire season... That guy to be the head coach?

I'm just at a loss for words.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

Cougarfan87
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Cougarfan87 »

I’d take Steve Sarkisian as an OC in a heart beat, and I think Ty could be a great QB coach. Lance Anderson as the head man makes sense. I won’t be buying season tickets next year. This was my first year and my wife considers it a huge waste of money. It would have been much cheaper to stubhub every game.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
CrimsonCoug
Senior

Post by CrimsonCoug »

Brayden Green wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:10 pm
CrimsonCoug wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:04 am One of the huge benefits that Bronco had was being an assistant under the HC at BYU for a while. BYU is such a unique place, and coaching at BYU even more so, that having some experience seeing those issues and formulating a strategy to address them--before actually needing to do so--was a huge benefit. I think that has been overlooked.

LaVell had that benefit as the DC coaching under Hudspeth. Bronco had that as the DC under Crowton. Both were successful.
Neither Hudspeth nor Crowton nor Sitake had that benefit. All of them had poor showings.

Yeah, it's just a correlation, and the sample size is small, but it's a perfect correlation.

To me, that indicates that elevating Steve Kaufusi or perhaps bringing back Nick Howell might be possibilities. I'm not saying that the current staff should go, but if they do, we should pay attention to what has worked at this uniquely challenging institution.
You want the guy that thought "Casting Shadows" was a good enough defensive idea to effectively kill our defense for an entire season... That guy to be the head coach?

Yeah, I was never a fan of Howell. I'm just saying that some OJT would be helpful at a place like BYU. I do think that Howell learned from his time as the DC. The basic principle of casting shadows wasn't awful--get tall defensive ends to clog passing lanes up closer to the QB. It was overly relied on, though, forgetting that D Linemen also had to use their hands to fend off O Linemen.

But no, I wouldn't be wild about Howell. Kaufusi would be a better fit (not saying he's the best, just that his experience at BYU would be beneficial).

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

CrimsonCoug wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:30 am
Brayden Green wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:10 pm

Yeah, I was never a fan of Howell. I'm just saying that some OJT would be helpful at a place like BYU. I do think that Howell learned from his time as the DC. The basic principle of casting shadows wasn't awful--get tall defensive ends to clog passing lanes up closer to the QB. It was overly relied on, though, forgetting that D Linemen also had to use their hands to fend off O Linemen.

But no, I wouldn't be wild about Howell. Kaufusi would be a better fit (not saying he's the best, just that his experience at BYU would be beneficial).
Fair enough. I don't want Howell. I didn't see enough to warrant a comeback, but that's just me. <shrug>

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Cougarfan87 wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:59 pm I’d take Steve Sarkisian as an OC in a heart beat.
Problem is, during that heart beat, he'd have done two shots.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

snoscythe wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:55 pm
Cougarfan87 wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:59 pm I’d take Steve Sarkisian as an OC in a heart beat.
Problem is, during that heart beat, he'd have done two shots.

I don't think Sark dealt well with the stresses of the High profile HC jobs that he had and that led to him becoming an alcoholic. According to what I have read he cleaned himself up and is now back into coaching. The only problem with Sark, IMO, is there is no way we could afford him. He is probably making more as an Ocoordinator right now than our HC makes. If we were somehow able to coax him back to BYU it would be a coup of major proportions.