My concerns, 10 points listed.

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
CrimsonCoug
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: My concerns, 10 points listed.

Post by CrimsonCoug »

I see this as classic over-correcting by both Holmoe and Sitake.

Every executive that comes into a new place wants to establish his own identity. Often times, that means they emphasize their differences from the perceived faults of the predecessor. Same in business, same in football.

At BYU we saw that Crowton wanted to establish himself as "not LaVell". He didn't have anything against Lavell; he just wanted to blaze his own trail. But he went away from Lavell's discipline, and emphasized the sweep-it-under the rug approach with respect to the HC.

Bronco saw what didn't work for Crowton and emphasized correcting those weaknesses--putting a premium on personal accountability. He tried to be a bit of LaVell in his game time demeanor, but misapplied that to the media and PR as well.

Kalani (and Holmoe) read the frosty PR of Bronco and the stiff, disciplined (though not uncaring) relationship he had with his players and over-corrected to hiring a "cool older brother" to replace the disciplinarian. Kalani has gone out of his way to publicly express love for players and privately show that by helping to bail them out of trouble (thinking of the Francis Bernard vid) and allegedly sweeping aside the high standards for training, diet and preparation.

To be fair, almost the entire staff has those same personable, folksy qualities--thinking of Tuiaki, Detmer, Mahe, and others. That's not a bad thing, but it can't get in the way of personal accountability--which is more than just briefly pointing out a failed game assignment in team meetings, which is the way Ed Lamb described how coaches hold players accountable during his Coordinators' Corner interview with Greg Wrubell yesterday.

All of this is classic over-correcting.

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK
snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by snoscythe »

frdbtr wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:25 pm
hawkwing wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:50 pm9. Coaches fighting. We hear all week from Kalani about how the offense needs to open it up, throw down field, and be aggressive. Then after the game Kalani goes on the air and says the offense is "throwing the freaking ball too much," and that he doesn't know what the offensive game plan is or why they did what they did. Why isn't Kalani talking to Ty Detmer during the week? Why isn't he talking to him during the game? He should know, as the head coach, that the game plan for the next game is to do X Y and Z. If he disagrees with that, he should help formulate a plan for which he agrees with. I still have yet to hear him say having the 100th ranked passing defense is a problem.
I am not as down on Detmer as most are. I don't think he is doing a bang up job but what is he supposed to do when his head coach is a complete disaster. In game interview goes like this "We can win this game if the offense doesn't screw this up" after the game (after we've lost and the offense looks like it is completely incompetent) Kalani says "we are going to open up the offense this week, if I am going to go down, I am going to go down swinging" then back in the game, he sends the signal to go conservative with the offense because he doesn't want them screwing up and losing it for the defense. Frankly, I think if Kalani had left the offense alone from day one and concentrated on getting his defense to quit giving up 14 play 90 yard TD drives, the offense would have been better this year. Overall, the entire program is a mess and needs to be blown up and restructured. It all starts at the top.
Well, in his defense, Kalani did learn how to manage an OC from Kyle Whittingham who has gone through about 9 offensive coordinators in 10 years...

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Jarhead wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:28 pm Are they really worried someone else will come in and do worse?

Jarhead
All-American

Post by Jarhead »

snoscythe wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:41 am
Jarhead wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:28 pm Are they really worried someone else will come in and do worse?
Wow, an award! Thank you. I guess I have to also thank our coaching staff for making this award possible.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

hawkwing wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:50 pm 9. Coaches fighting. We hear all week from Kalani about how the offense needs to open it up, throw down field, and be aggressive. Then after the game Kalani goes on the air and says the offense is "throwing the freaking ball too much," and that he doesn't know what the offensive game plan is or why they did what they did. Why isn't Kalani talking to Ty Detmer during the week? Why isn't he talking to him during the game? He should know, as the head coach, that the game plan for the next game is to do X Y and Z. If he disagrees with that, he should help formulate a plan for which he agrees with. I still have yet to hear him say having the 100th ranked passing defense is a problem.
If this is true, I would be more willing to keep Ty Detmer in 2018 than Kalani Sitake.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

SpiffCoug wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:33 pm
hawkwing wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:50 pm 9. Coaches fighting. We hear all week from Kalani about how the offense needs to open it up, throw down field, and be aggressive. Then after the game Kalani goes on the air and says the offense is "throwing the freaking ball too much," and that he doesn't know what the offensive game plan is or why they did what they did. Why isn't Kalani talking to Ty Detmer during the week? Why isn't he talking to him during the game? He should know, as the head coach, that the game plan for the next game is to do X Y and Z. If he disagrees with that, he should help formulate a plan for which he agrees with. I still have yet to hear him say having the 100th ranked passing defense is a problem.
If this is true, I would be more willing to keep Ty Detmer in 2018 than Kalani Sitake.
I've felt with the proper hard A position coaches demanding perfection while executing that Ty Detmer could run a good offense. I feel like the failings of the offense are due to the culture that has been created rather than the competence of Ty. There is no one on the team like Roger French for Kalani to get away with being the father figure that lavell was. Everyone on the staff is simply too nice. The thing that has irritated me from day one though is the fact that the Defense, which has sucked nearly as bad as the offense this year, has gotten a complete pass by Kalani all year. This is no way to run a team. I would love to see the HC fired and the new one retain Ty, if we got the right guy running the ship, we might get to see what this offense is really capable of. I think it is far more likely that everyone be retained for 1 more year and then the house cleaned after another dismal campaign next year.

CrimsonCoug
Senior

Post by CrimsonCoug »

ALL TRUE.

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK
scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

I was half way serious about bringing back the firesides. Bronco was losing until he started doing them and that got the team on a roll. It would not bring a NC any time soon but I think it would help correct some of the issues plus KS needs to get the Lord on his side.