Fire everyone involved in BYU football this year.

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
CrimsonCoug
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Fire everyone involved in BYU football this year.

Post by CrimsonCoug »

KingCoug wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:52 pm
frdbtr wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:11 pm
KingCoug wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:55 pm That's just it. As painful as it is, I'm willing to endure the rocky road in an effort to get BYU beyond where Bronco could get us. If Bronco is indeed the best BYU can do, that may be the saddest statement of all.
I disagree with your opinions on Bronco. Bronco did amazing things with the recruiting restrictions that BYU self inflicted. BYU has more recruiting restrictions than any of the service academies and has forced academic standards that are way above what it needs simply because of the LDS population demand to get into the school. Lavell never had to deal with them. Bronco's biggest mistake was to declare publicly where he wanted to take the program and his issues with beating the utes (incidentally who could out recruit BYU all day long because they have no recruiting restrictions at all). IMO without those restrictions, we would have dominated the utes similar to what we used to. You are going to see where Bronco can take a program as he builds the talent level at Virginia who has been a ACC doormat for years. You have seen glimpses this year but they are still down on talent compared to the competition that he plays against in the ACC.
Seems like a lot of you are basing what you think will happen in the future, with BYU and Virginia, on this season alone.
No at all. I think we're basing it on trends. BYU's, Bronco's, and Kalani's.
Under Bronco, BYU's trend was reliably 9 +/- 2 wins per season. We know that BYU, with all of its idiosyncrasies, is capable of achieving that.
Bronco's own trend based on the last two seasons at Virginia is clearly moving in the right direction.
Sitake's staff's trend based on the last two seasons is clearly moving in the wrong direction. Moreover, despite the wins last year, the offense's stats were still anemic.

My own prediction is that the staff will get 1 more year. They'll have a senior QB (if he recovers from a tough injury and beats out the others), and although they lose the interior of the O-line, they return some decent talent at the ends and the skill positions on O. On D, we lose Fred--and that's a pretty big deal.

I agree that many of the position coaches (and the S&C coach) should be sending out their resumes. I'd keep all 3 coordinators and the two Steves--Clark and Kaufusi. I think the TEs have done decently well (but where has Baldaree been???) and the LBs have done a decent job, and the DLine did a good job before that under Kaufusi.

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK
KingCoug
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by KingCoug »

CrimsonCoug wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:22 pm
KingCoug wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:55 pm That's just it. As painful as it is, I'm willing to endure the rocky road in an effort to get BYU beyond where Bronco could get us. If Bronco is indeed the best BYU can do, that may be the saddest statement of all.
I disagree with your opinions on Bronco. Bronco did amazing things with the recruiting restrictions that BYU self inflicted. BYU has more recruiting restrictions than any of the service academies and has forced academic standards that are way above what it needs simply because of the LDS population demand to get into the school. Lavell never had to deal with them. Bronco's biggest mistake was to declare publicly where he wanted to take the program and his issues with beating the utes (incidentally who could out recruit BYU all day long because they have no recruiting restrictions at all). IMO without those restrictions, we would have dominated the utes similar to what we used to. You are going to see where Bronco can take a program as he builds the talent level at Virginia who has been a ACC doormat for years. You have seen glimpses this year but they are still down on talent compared to the competition that he plays against in the ACC.
Seems like a lot of you are basing what you think will happen in the future, with BYU and Virginia, on this season alone.
Under Bronco, BYU's trend was reliably 9 +/- 2 wins per season. We know that BYU, with all of its idiosyncrasies, is capable of achieving that.
Bronco's own trend based on the last two seasons at Virginia is clearly moving in the right direction.
Sitake's staff's trend based on the last two seasons is clearly moving in the wrong direction. Moreover, despite the wins last year, the offense's stats were still anemic.

My own prediction is that the staff will get 1 more year. They'll have a senior QB (if he recovers from a tough injury and beats out the others), and although they lose the interior of the O-line, they return some decent talent at the ends and the skill positions on O. On D, we lose Fred--and that's a pretty big deal.

I agree that many of the position coaches (and the S&C coach) should be sending out their resumes. I'd keep all 3 coordinators and the two Steves--Clark and Kaufusi. I think the TEs have done decently well (but where has Baldaree been???) and the LBs have done a decent job, and the DLine did a good job before that under Kaufusi.
I don't think 2 seasons is quite enough of a sample size to be coming to the conclusions many of you are. Furthermore, it's not a given that whatever success Bronco has at Virginia would have happened had he stayed at BYU. Especially with the harder independent schedules. Its easy to knock Sitake right now and think Bronco is gold but, for me, the jury is still out. On Sitake anyway. Not Bronco. Even if Sitake doesn't work out, that doesn't automatically mean we should have tried to keep Bronco. It just means we need to look elsewhere.

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

KingCoug wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:48 pm

I don't think 2 seasons is quite enough of a sample size to be coming to the conclusions many of you are. Furthermore, it's not a given that whatever success Bronco has at Virginia would have happened had he stayed at BYU. Especially with the harder independent schedules. Its easy to knock Sitake right now and think Bronco is gold but, for me, the jury is still out. On Sitake anyway. Not Bronco. Even if Sitake doesn't work out, that doesn't automatically mean we should have tried to keep Bronco. It just means we need to look elsewhere.
Ha.
Here's some reference for why sitake is getting knocked. Umass and ECU.
BYU likely could have kept winning at least 8 games a year had they given bronco the benefit of the doubt that he deserved and maybe BYu breaks through a time or two every decade. Maybe bronco was leaving anyway, but it sure seems like efforts were made to make him want to search out other opportunities.
We compare the last 2 seasons of bronco/sitake because that's the data we have available.
This "independent schedule", as has been noted was not terribly tough. According to one source I found BYU is 79th in SOS. But I imagine a bronco hater like yourself would be crying for his head on a platter had bronco won 9 games and would be claiming BYU/Bronco has plateaued. Double standard? Bronco went through a few of these "tough" indie schedules himself and I didn't hear many ppl pushing to his rescue due to the overscheding of Tom holmoe.
Again, Here's why it's easy to knock sitake. ECU and Umass. I can't recall a single game that BYU lost under Bronco that was even close to being that terrible.
It's easy to knock sitake because the program seems to be in shambles according to multiple sources and there hasn't been much effort made to correct it.
I bought season tickets this year for the first time ever. Next year? Nope. I regret the money I spent this year and will wait till things get turned around to visit LES again. I'd still be fine if the person turning it around is Sitake. But I've lost a lot of faith that he can get it done.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

BroncoBot wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:45 pm
KingCoug wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:48 pm

Ha.
Here's some reference for why sitake is getting knocked. Umass and ECU.
BYU likely could have kept winning at least 8 games a year had they given bronco the benefit of the doubt that he deserved and maybe BYu breaks through a time or two every decade. Maybe bronco was leaving anyway, but it sure seems like efforts were made to make him want to search out other opportunities.
We compare the last 2 seasons of bronco/sitake because that's the data we have available.
This "independent schedule", as has been noted was not terribly tough. According to one source I found BYU is 79th in SOS. But I imagine a bronco hater like yourself would be crying for his head on a platter had bronco won 9 games and would be claiming BYU/Bronco has plateaued. Double standard? Bronco went through a few of these "tough" indie schedules himself and I didn't hear many ppl pushing to his rescue due to the overscheding of Tom holmoe.
Again, Here's why it's easy to knock sitake. ECU and Umass. I can't recall a single game that BYU lost under Bronco that was even close to being that terrible.
It's easy to knock sitake because the program seems to be in shambles according to multiple sources and there hasn't been much effort made to correct it.
I bought season tickets this year for the first time ever. Next year? Nope. I regret the money I spent this year and will wait till things get turned around to visit LES again. I'd still be fine if the person turning it around is Sitake. But I've lost a lot of faith that he can get it done.
I watch a ton of College football and one thing about it is, you can tell a good coach or a bad coach right away. Good coaches take over bad programs and you can see improvement right away, bad coaches take over a program and it doesn't take them long to destroy a good program. Look at Mike Leach at WSU, even though they didn't show it with wins for a couple of years, you could tell that they were getting better. Bronco at Virginia has a perennial ACC doormat into a bowl game after year 2. Chris Peterson at WA took a couple years to hit his stride and now Washington is a top 10 team again. Had a couple slip ups this year but I'm sure that will be fixed next year. Look what Norm chow did in Hawaii, they were a mediocre team and in his first year he made them absolutely horrible. It simply doesn't take long. If Kalani gets another year, I hope he figures it out and gets things fixed but IMO it isn't going to happen. BYU is going to be horrible until he gets replaced, which is why I would like to see that happen sooner rather than later because I love BYU football and it is painful to watch this team right now.

BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by BoiseBYU »

I may be too down at present to be objective, but given the obstacles confronting us right now I’m not certain any coach could right the direction of this ship.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

frdbtr wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:58 pm I watch a ton of College football and one thing about it is, you can tell a good coach or a bad coach right away. Good coaches take over bad programs and you can see improvement right away, bad coaches take over a program and it doesn't take them long to destroy a good program. Look at Mike Leach at WSU, even though they didn't show it with wins for a couple of years, you could tell that they were getting better. Bronco at Virginia has a perennial ACC doormat into a bowl game after year 2. Chris Peterson at WA took a couple years to hit his stride and now Washington is a top 10 team again. Had a couple slip ups this year but I'm sure that will be fixed next year. Look what Norm chow did in Hawaii, they were a mediocre team and in his first year he made them absolutely horrible. It simply doesn't take long. If Kalani gets another year, I hope he figures it out and gets things fixed but IMO it isn't going to happen. BYU is going to be horrible until he gets replaced, which is why I would like to see that happen sooner rather than later because I love BYU football and it is painful to watch this team right now.
This is similar to the Simon Cowell thinking on music. He said he needs 7 seconds of listening to a song or a singer to determine if the song would be a hit or the singer could actually sing.

Kalani isn't a head coach. BYU should move on now. But we're not going to. So we're going to dig the hole even deeper we have to get out of.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

I think TH needs to tell KS that he has to replace at least one coach this year. Go out and find someone who can do a better job. That might be a hard thing to do for KS to let someone go but he needs to learn how to do and give the message to all that their job is on the line. Furthermore, he will need to do that every year until things get much better or he is gone.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Sitake needs to let go more than one coach. But one of the coaches he needs to let go is family. If he can't do what he knows he needs to do, then he simply isn't head coach material and he should be let go. Sooner rather than later.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

Wow. This is a pretty crazy thread.

All this talk about Bronco, and him fixing things, but no one has mentioned the fact that we have 4 Seniors on the entire two deep (44 possible positions), all thanks to his lack luster recruiting job 5 and 6 years ago. WHERE ARE ALL THE SENIORS?

I mean, there isn't a player on our team (save Fred Warner) that belongs on the two deep of any team that we played the first 6 games. WHERE ARE ALL THE SENIORS?

Tejan, Fred, Jonny Linehan, and Handsome Tanielu (who isn't even a Bronco product). Who else? WHERE ARE ALL THE SENIORS?

Taysom and Jamal we're lipstick on a very ugly pig. Each coordinator I think gets another year to work things out and start getting their transfers and recruits playing for them. Bronco left the cupboard extremely bare. You can't take amazing coaches (which I believe Ty is: not sold on any of the others, including Empey) and give them garbage and expect to win. The players flat out suck. They are untalented and undisciplined. You can only throw so many good balls to bad receivers, before you need to look at other options. Their isn't one position group that is succeeding right now, and you can only put that on coaching so much. At some point, the players need to play, and the depth needs to show itself, and these guys aren't healthy or good. Nick Saban wouldn't win more than half the games on this year's schedule with these sucktards. At some point it comes down to talent, and BYU has very little on either side of the ball.

If I were Ty I'd put together a montage of the wide open dropped balls we have this year, and another of our QBs getting pressure in like 2 seconds flat, and show that to everyone. Tell recruits that spring and fall camp are wide open for every position for graduate transfers and freshman alike.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

Brayden Green wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:39 pm Wow. This is a pretty crazy thread.

All this talk about Bronco, and him fixing things, but no one has mentioned the fact that we have 4 Seniors on the entire two deep (44 possible positions), all thanks to his lack luster recruiting job 5 and 6 years ago. WHERE ARE ALL THE SENIORS?

I mean, there isn't a player on our team (save Fred Warner) that belongs on the two deep of any team that we played the first 6 games. WHERE ARE ALL THE SENIORS?

Tejan, Fred, Jonny Linehan, and Handsome Tanielu (who isn't even a Bronco product). Who else? WHERE ARE ALL THE SENIORS?

Taysom and Jamal we're lipstick on a very ugly pig. Each coordinator I think gets another year to work things out and start getting their transfers and recruits playing for them. Bronco left the cupboard extremely bare. You can't take amazing coaches (which I believe Ty is: not sold on any of the others, including Empey) and give them garbage and expect to win. The players flat out suck. They are untalented and undisciplined. You can only throw so many good balls to bad receivers, before you need to look at other options. Their isn't one position group that is succeeding right now, and you can only put that on coaching so much. At some point, the players need to play, and the depth needs to show itself, and these guys aren't healthy or good. Nick Saban wouldn't win more than half the games on this year's schedule with these sucktards. At some point it comes down to talent, and BYU has very little on either side of the ball.

If I were Ty I'd put together a montage of the wide open dropped balls we have this year, and another of our QBs getting pressure in like 2 seconds flat, and show that to everyone. Tell recruits that spring and fall camp are wide open for every position for graduate transfers and freshman alike.
There is so much wrong with this post I don't even want to start disputing it. I'll just quote it so others can see how asinine it is.