Fire everyone involved in BYU football this year.

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Fire everyone involved in BYU football this year.

Post by byufan4ever »

ABYUFAN wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:47 am
frdbtr wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:38 am
pikoi wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:52 pm
hawkwing wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:07 am
pikoi wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:52 am If you had seen the way the team reacted to Saturday's loss you would want EVERYONE gone. I promise. I care about the success of several of these coaches on a personal level, but the postgame attitude made it clear- this is NOT working and things are very unlikely to change.
What was the reaction?
Joking around without a care in the world. Not quite the same as if they had won a game, more like they had just put up a great fight against Alabama and came up short.

I think this staff gets one more year to get things on track. And I hope it works out. Hiring at BYU- for any position- is extremely difficult.
Another example of no accountability. A winning staff wouldn't let that fly.
I don't get this. This staff is .500; which is a better record than Bronco has in Virginia. Obviously it is bad that this was a winning program and wasn't the train wreck that Virginia was when Bronco took over, but these guys have had a very bad time with injuries and have made stupid decisions. Injuries may be a fluke, and stupid decisions can be learned from. I think that if you cut people loose when they are learning you will have a tough time getting anyone to come here and stay.
To me it's not just the record. It's the culture that's been created. That's the bigger issue.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Woody3715 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:34 am If TH doesn't make any coaching changes by the end of January, Cougar season ticket holders should just not renew their tickets for 2018. Stop the revenue and changes will come. Its happened at many other schools.
I've scanned my receipt for buying 6 tickets at face value from BYU for the UMass game.

When I get my Cougar Club invitation to renew next year, I am sending back, with a Holmoe cc'd, that receipt with an explanation that I paid my dues in advance.

If they don't accept that, I'm out for 2018.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

ABYUFAN wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:47 am
frdbtr wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:38 am
pikoi wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:52 pm
hawkwing wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:07 am
pikoi wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:52 am If you had seen the way the team reacted to Saturday's loss you would want EVERYONE gone. I promise. I care about the success of several of these coaches on a personal level, but the postgame attitude made it clear- this is NOT working and things are very unlikely to change.
What was the reaction?
Joking around without a care in the world. Not quite the same as if they had won a game, more like they had just put up a great fight against Alabama and came up short.

I think this staff gets one more year to get things on track. And I hope it works out. Hiring at BYU- for any position- is extremely difficult.
Another example of no accountability. A winning staff wouldn't let that fly.
I don't get this. This staff is .500; which is a better record than Bronco has in Virginia.
Both coaches are in the middle of completely turning their respective programs around.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

ABYUFAN wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:47 amI don't get this. This staff is .500; which is a better record than Bronco has in Virginia. Obviously it is bad that this was a winning program and wasn't the train wreck that Virginia was when Bronco took over, but these guys have had a very bad time with injuries and have made stupid decisions. Injuries may be a fluke, and stupid decisions can be learned from.
UMASS.

We just lost to UMass.

At home.

On Senior Day.

Scoring only 10 points.

And looked completely outclassed.

BYU should be able to field 10 guys all game who all have bad ankles and AC sprains and still win that game going away.

UMass absolutely blows goats this year. They define ineptitude. They had zero wins against FBS teams this season in a schedule filled with cellar-dwellers. UMass probably won't even have a football team in four more years, but they came to Provo and out-classed BYU for the entire game.

Eff the excuses. There are none that can justify the UMass and ECU losses this season. Zero.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

snoscythe wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:08 pm
ABYUFAN wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:47 amI don't get this. This staff is .500; which is a better record than Bronco has in Virginia. Obviously it is bad that this was a winning program and wasn't the train wreck that Virginia was when Bronco took over, but these guys have had a very bad time with injuries and have made stupid decisions. Injuries may be a fluke, and stupid decisions can be learned from.
UMASS.

We just lost to UMass.

At home.

On Senior Day.

Scoring only 10 points.

And looked completely outclassed.

BYU should be able to field 10 guys all game who all have bad ankles and AC sprains and still win that game going away.

UMass absolutely blows goats this year. They define ineptitude. They had zero wins against FBS teams this season in a schedule filled with cellar-dwellers. UMass probably won't even have a football team in four more years, but they came to Provo and out-classed BYU for the entire game.

Eff the excuses. There are none that can justify the UMass and ECU losses this season. Zero.
This about sums it up for me.

CrimsonCoug
Senior

Post by CrimsonCoug »

Cougs_Rule wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:16 am
ABYUFAN wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:05 am
Cougs_Rule wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:39 am I think TH should be in jeopardy more for his murderers row scheduling than for his belief that Kalani could get it done.
I'm pretty sure that this year's schedule was not even close to "Murder's Row" We barely had a "vagrant's row" schedule and still stunk it up. I'm not all that excited to bring in new untested people who can stink it up in new and different ways next year. I'd give most of these folks another shot to see if they have learned their lessons.
Fair point, sort of. Except 5 P5 teams in the first half of the season decimated our guys morale, health, and deeply entrenched losing ways that extended into the 2nd half of season. We got lucky last year with two all time leaders at BYU and some p5s he were down. Plus remnants of a disciplined winning mentality and team leaders who carried us to a winning season. Just BAD.
Detmer made this same point yesterday in his sit-down with Greg Wrubell: The tough early half of the schedule demoralized the team and took the fight out of them. Shouldn't a good coaching staff be able to help a team overcome that? I like Detmer and his family a lot. Nothing against them. But something clearly isn't working.

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK
CrimsonCoug
Senior

Post by CrimsonCoug »

ABYUFAN wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:47 am I think that if you cut people loose when they are learning you will have a tough time getting anyone to come here and stay.
I agree with this to a point. Learning on the job is very expensive, and it's better to have had someone learn on somebody else's dime. But I just don't see a lot of viable alternatives who would be any higher on the learning curve than the current staff. Of course, that argument only holds if the current staff is actually learning. Unfortunately, I haven't seen a lot of evidence of that. But I'll admit, I'm an uneducated fan. I do know how to read a scoreboard, though.

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

ABYUFAN wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:47 am I think that if you cut people loose when they are learning you will have a tough time getting anyone to come here and stay.
Problem is, as terrible as this coaching staff is, we are having a tough time getting recruits to come here and stay.

I don't think any decent coach would look at you firing a coach after this pustule of a season and think "Gee, I'm not sure those guys are reasonable if they won't give a coach another shot after losing to UMass and ECU in the same season and setting fire to BYU's proud tradition."

Ddawg
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Ddawg »

BYU's problems are deep. They won't be fixed quickly.For the 1st time in a long time, I think high school recruits are listing in-state programs: 1. Utah, 2. Utah St vs BYU a toss-up. It's a sad state of affairs for the Y. Of note, Utah St. beat Hawaii 38-0. It will be interesting to see how BYU does this week in Hawaii.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

For the record, I would be willing to give both our coordinators another year but only under the condition of a nearly complete overhaul of the position group coaches. The only position groups I might entertain retaining would be Empey, & Guilford.

I think these changes would benefit Detmer more than Tuiaki.

I think Detmer could be back if he has new RB, TE and WR coaches and that his offense would greatly benefit from competent coaching at those three position groups.

Tuiaki is also in bad spot. All his position groups are underperforming. The DL is generating no pressure under his tutelage. The LBs are struggling w/ Kaufusi's move to the LBs.

The DBs haven't been great, which is somewhat surprising given Guilford's success at SUU. And while the OL hasn't been stellar it's at least been decent and seems to have improved throughout the year and from where we were a few years ago.

So basically, I want Mahe gone and Cahoon gone and Kaufusi gone.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!