Fire everyone involved in BYU football this year.

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Fire everyone involved in BYU football this year.

Post by snoscythe »

A coach should be able to be UMass and ECU with toddlers in jockstraps.

Anyone arguing the Bronco would have lost those two games or blaming those losses on his recruiting has zero credibility.

It's not the win total that is alarming -- it is the inexcusable losses. The AD gift-wrapped two scheduled wins (Sagarin #127 ECU and Sagarin #114 UMass) for this team that the coaching staff gave away.

As for blaming this on recruiting, that dog don't hunt either.

2013 recruiting class rank = #66
2014 recruiting class rank = #64
2015 recruiting class rank = #65
2016 recruiting class rank = #49 (Bronco-->Kalani transition class)
2017 recruiting class rank = #66

Erm, other than the "excitement" bump of the class he shared with Bronco, Kalani's first class that he completely owned matched Bronco's worst recruiting class of the last three seasons. So we really want to wait to see how his equally mediocre class refills the cupboard? He's replacing a #66 class with a #66 class....and losing 9 games in the process. Do we really want to see how godawful the 2018 class that is hemorrhaging recruits left and right stacks up?

The Kalani-as-Recruiting-Master storyline is a myth that hasn't borne out, and with losses to ECU and UMass, it's not going to get any better. I don't care how cool you are and how well you relate to these kids -- the polys are defecting to a mediocre Utah team because that mediocre team wins more games than the abysmal Kalani cougars.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougs_Rule »

You guys are seriously trying to make this an "either this OR that" analysis?
Some of you seriously think the coaches are that flawless?
While others think the players aren't as bad as they look?
With all of the obvious problems and record and blaming and CYA-ing going on, how could it possibly not be ALL OF THE ABOVE?
Find something better to fight about. Each of your arguments are as flawed as this team and coaches. Just sayin.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

Brayden Green wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:21 am
frdbtr wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:14 am
SenorCougar wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:54 am Oh how times have changed for Brayden...

Here are some quotes from last year.
"Taysom Hill, ladies and gentlemen. Taysom Hill. Swearwords."
"Tanner is a much better thrower, and anticipates receivers out of their breaks better..."
"Taysom sucks."
"Taysom is so objectively bad... The coaches are in CYA mode not putting in Tanner (who would look so much better) to not prove they made the wrong choice in the first place."

Now it's:
"Taysom and Jamaal we're (sic) lipstick on a very ugly pig."

What's going on here???
"Nick Saben couldn't win half of our games this year with the talent on this team"?!?! What that hell? Nick Saben would have only 1 loss this year with the talent on this team. Wisconsin.
I don't know who NIck Saben is, maybe we should get him/her... I'm talking about NIck SABAN, the Alabama coach, who would have lost to more than Wiconsin with the scrubs that we gave uniforms to this year. An offensive line that can't run block more than a yard or two downfield, can't pass block for more than a second or two, a qb that can't go through progressions on a 5 step drop, receivers that can't catch perfectly thrown balls (the few times a game that actually happens) and running backs that don't know how to hit basic holes, and the ones that know how to hit holes hit bongs instead...

It's like the Twilight Zone... where are the seniors on this team?
So all you got for me is a spelling error criticism? Wow, good one.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

frdbtr wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:57 pm
SenorCougar wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:54 am Oh how times have changed for Brayden...

"Tanner is a much better thrower, and anticipates receivers out of their breaks better..."
"Taysom sucks."
"Taysom is so objectively bad... The coaches are in CYA mode not putting in Tanner (who would look so much better) to not prove they made the wrong choice in the first place."

Now it's:

What's going on here???
"Nick Saben couldn't win half of our games this year with the talent on this team"?!?! What that hell? Nick Saben would have only 1 loss this year with the talent on this team. Wisconsin.
I don't know who NIck Saben is, maybe we should get him/her... I'm talking about NIck SABAN, the Alabama coach, who would have lost to more than Wiconsin with the scrubs that we gave uniforms to this year. An offensive line that can't run block more than a yard or two downfield, can't pass block for more than a second or two, a qb that can't go through progressions on a 5 step drop, receivers that can't catch perfectly thrown balls (the few times a game that actually happens) and running backs that don't know how to hit basic holes, and the ones that know how to hit holes hit bongs instead...

We'll, you didn't really say anything else. You provided no evidence to your claim. So yeah, I went for spelling. I figured we had to start somewhere :) But you are right, I should have left it alone and not responded to something with 100% conjecture because it's not worth either of our time arguing about things in alternate dimensions (unless you'd like to discuss string theory, in which case I am so in!)

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

Brayden Green wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:19 am
frdbtr wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:57 pm

"Taysom sucks."

Now it's:

What's going on here???

We'll, you didn't really say anything else. You provided no evidence to your claim. So yeah, I went for spelling. I figured we had to start somewhere :) But you are right, I should have left it alone and not responded to something with 100% conjecture because it's not worth either of our time arguing about things in alternate dimensions (unless you'd like to discuss string theory, in which case I am so in!)
You were the one that made wild claims that the most decorated coach in college football history couldn't have won half the games on our schedule. You explain this claim. You tell the people on this board how the guy who has won more National championships than any other coach in college football history could not have beaten Utah state, boise state, ECU, Fresno state, and Umass along with the PSU, UNLV, SJSU, and Hawaii wins that BYU got this year. That would have given BYU 9 wins. Heck Bronco beat Boise state with less talent than BYU has.....on the road. Frankly, I have a feeling that the best college coach in college football history would probably be able to beat the utes at home as well. My claim is that BYU, with the best coach in college football history would have only lost to Wisconsin with the talent that BYU has this year and I stand by that claim.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

Sure. We disagree. That's fine. Intelligent people disagree all the time. We see things differently. I gave you my reasons that Saban or Bronco or anyone wouldn't do well with our schedule, injuries, EXTREME lack of depth and seniors, and the individual players that I watched who weren't very talented. At all.

Tulotau, Warner, Butch, Jonny, and Khyris Tonga (all when healthy) were the only people on the field that I felt were difference makers in games. Everyone else showed little talent and very little execution or discipline.

Some of that comes down to coaching, maybe even half of it does. I'll give you all that much. But it isn't like we have a bunch of all stars underperforming... We have a bunch of players who should be fighting for a roster spot with incoming recruits, redshirts sitting off missions, and transfers that had to sit out this year.

I expect to see a large number of personnel on offense switch around. There is just little to no talent on that side of the ball, and the spots that have talent have no depth. (TE, RB)

Defense will look a lot better returning their starters and with the added depth they have been stowing away (as previously mentioned).

SenorCougar
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by SenorCougar »

Brayden Green wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:50 am ...EXTREME lack of depth and seniors, and the individual players that I watched who weren't very talented. At all.
This coming from someone who can't recognize what talent and value Taysom Hill brought to the team during his playing days as an athletic BYU quarterback, doesn't understand conjunctions or contractions, can't figure out who a legendary coach is when the name is misspelled by one letter. Seems to be more interested in rhetoric than facts...

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

I think BYU has plenty of talent to compete with our schedule this year. We aren't a NC contender with this talent and would probably struggle with a Power 5 schedule with this talent even with a very good college coach but our schedule had 9-10 wins that any competent coach could have manufactured. This years team was shockingly soft. The players played poorly because they were coached to play that way. Good coaches maximize the talent that they have, bad coaches squander good talent. BYU has the same talent that they have had that got them 8-9 wins every year with Bronco (10+ wins in the MWC) and yet this year we lost to ECU and UMASS. This is a coaching failure at the colossal level. I still like Detmer, we can agree on that, I just think that Kalani is not the correct captain of the ship. I hope he figures out how to coach this off season if the AD decides to retain him. If we have another year like this one next year, I don't know what I will do, probably watch my second favorite team instead (Washington).

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

SenorCougar wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:49 am
Brayden Green wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:50 am ...EXTREME lack of depth and seniors, and the individual players that I watched who weren't very talented. At all.
This coming from someone who can't recognize what talent and value Taysom Hill brought to the team during his playing days as an athletic BYU quarterback, doesn't understand conjunctions or contractions, can't figure out who a legendary coach is when the name is misspelled by one letter. Seems to be more interested in rhetoric than facts...
Yikes.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

There was obviously a lot of talent this year. Not as much as in some years past, but probably more than other years that saw a lot more success. Very comparable to the average teams Bronco was winning 9 games a year with.

We can talk individual positions if you'd like. Might be fun.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars