Fire everyone involved in BYU football this year.

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Fire everyone involved in BYU football this year.

Post by hawkwing »

Yeah, that 110th ranked passing defense is a strong argument to keep Guilford.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by SpiffCoug »

Pass defense isn't all on the DBs. We have very little ability to get consistent pressure on the QBs. Give the defense better DL coaching and an ability to get designed pressure on opposing QBs so they don't just sit back there all day feeling comfortable and the DBs will magically start looking better.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

SpiffCoug wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:36 pm Pass defense isn't all on the DBs. We have very little ability to get consistent pressure on the QBs. Give the defense better DL coaching and an ability to get designed pressure on opposing QBs so they don't just sit back there all day feeling comfortable and the DBs will magically start looking better.
I think the issues with the Dline and getting pressure on the QB has more to do with scheme than anything else. I like Steve Kaufusi and would like to see him stay. The Dline always did well under Bronco while he was the Dline coach. He is a good coach. Tuiaki seems to think that we need to get pressure while running 4 guys on a straight pass rush. We hardly ever see stunts or linebacker blitzes to get pressure and the QB's just sit back there and throw darts all night. IMO the DB's haven't been stellar but they aren't any worse than any other position group on the offense or defense.

KingCoug
All-American

Post by KingCoug »

BroncoBot wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:07 pm
KingCoug wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:07 pm
BroncoBot wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:11 pm
Cougs_Rule wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:39 am I think TH should be in jeopardy more for his murderers row scheduling than for his belief that Kalani could get it done.
I also think that Bronco looked ahead and saw schedules that far exceeded his mantra of "Heading into the wind". It was more like heading into the maelstrom and hurricane of 2016,17, and 18.
His relationship with boosters was always suspect. He didnt need the fans totally turning on him as well and so he, unlike LaVel, cashed in to take his disciplined approach where it would be appreciated again.
We, all--admin, fans, donors, all took him for granted. And now we have more of a mess than if he was still here, but he would have been run out of town just like Kalani will be next year. Impossible schedule!!!! Cant stress that enough. And BYU is freakin stuck. Jammed, under contract. Its absolutely the Perfect time for P5 schools to play BYU, the busted, demoralized, depleted by injury and bailed recruits, EASY WIN! No way they let BYU out of a few contracts unless its a trip to Provo and some cash. PERFECT STORM. Aint gonna get batter next year.
Schedule shmedule.
BYU should have had 8-10 wins this year. And if BYU wins 8-10 kalani's seat isn't on fire right now. This year was simply not putting the time in to be competitive OR it was a case of coaches being WAY over their heads.
First, I suspect Bronco was simply ready to move on from BYU and Holmoe's ambitious scheduling helped him decide that. I said "I suspect" because I obviously don't know. And, frankly, I don't think those who've been claiming that he was run off by Holmoe, the boosters, or whoever know either. But as I've said before, even if Kalani doesn't work out, it doesn't mean I want Bronco back.

Second, while BYU definitely should have had more wins this year (underperforming to the point nobody thought possible), there may be something to the idea of Holmoe overscheduling. At least as long as BYU football is operating on an insufficient budget.
I'd give my left arm to get bronco back at this point. He could make every BYU fan in the world mad with his flippant comments and I wouldn't care. Sit down, shut up and enjoy the cornucopia of wins, bowl games and lack of HC violation news. The guy was a workhorse (no pun intended) and requires discipline and assignment football which are obviously lacking this year.

Anyone who made Bronco's decision easier to leave, as KingCoug describes it, should have their job in jeopardy after this year's debacle including Tom Holmoe who I think has done a fantastic job otherwise. And the Bunch of bawlbaby fans who felt that "anyone" would be better are making bronco's comments regarding fans look like prophecy. Y'all stupid. We could lose to USU AMD Utah for the next decade at this rate. I never considered BYU to be anyone's little brother before this year. Now, BYU is all of D1 football's b!?€#. If we dont land the #1 bottom ten award this year, I'll be offended.
Of course this is all assuming BYU continues to have seasons like it's had in the coming years. While this year has been atrocious, it doesn't make Bronco suddenly more attractive in my book.

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director
frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

KingCoug wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:27 pm
BroncoBot wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:07 pm
KingCoug wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:07 pm
BroncoBot wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:11 pm
Cougs_Rule wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:39 am I think TH should be in jeopardy more for his murderers row scheduling than for his belief that Kalani could get it done.
I also think that Bronco looked ahead and saw schedules that far exceeded his mantra of "Heading into the wind". It was more like heading into the maelstrom and hurricane of 2016,17, and 18.
His relationship with boosters was always suspect. He didnt need the fans totally turning on him as well and so he, unlike LaVel, cashed in to take his disciplined approach where it would be appreciated again.
We, all--admin, fans, donors, all took him for granted. And now we have more of a mess than if he was still here, but he would have been run out of town just like Kalani will be next year. Impossible schedule!!!! Cant stress that enough. And BYU is freakin stuck. Jammed, under contract. Its absolutely the Perfect time for P5 schools to play BYU, the busted, demoralized, depleted by injury and bailed recruits, EASY WIN! No way they let BYU out of a few contracts unless its a trip to Provo and some cash. PERFECT STORM. Aint gonna get batter next year.
Schedule shmedule.
BYU should have had 8-10 wins this year. And if BYU wins 8-10 kalani's seat isn't on fire right now. This year was simply not putting the time in to be competitive OR it was a case of coaches being WAY over their heads.
First, I suspect Bronco was simply ready to move on from BYU and Holmoe's ambitious scheduling helped him decide that. I said "I suspect" because I obviously don't know. And, frankly, I don't think those who've been claiming that he was run off by Holmoe, the boosters, or whoever know either. But as I've said before, even if Kalani doesn't work out, it doesn't mean I want Bronco back.

Second, while BYU definitely should have had more wins this year (underperforming to the point nobody thought possible), there may be something to the idea of Holmoe overscheduling. At least as long as BYU football is operating on an insufficient budget.
I'd give my left arm to get bronco back at this point. He could make every BYU fan in the world mad with his flippant comments and I wouldn't care. Sit down, shut up and enjoy the cornucopia of wins, bowl games and lack of HC violation news. The guy was a workhorse (no pun intended) and requires discipline and assignment football which are obviously lacking this year.

Anyone who made Bronco's decision easier to leave, as KingCoug describes it, should have their job in jeopardy after this year's debacle including Tom Holmoe who I think has done a fantastic job otherwise. And the Bunch of bawlbaby fans who felt that "anyone" would be better are making bronco's comments regarding fans look like prophecy. Y'all stupid. We could lose to USU AMD Utah for the next decade at this rate. I never considered BYU to be anyone's little brother before this year. Now, BYU is all of D1 football's b!?€#. If we dont land the #1 bottom ten award this year, I'll be offended.
Of course this is all assuming BYU continues to have seasons like it's had in the coming years. While this year has been atrocious, it doesn't make Bronco suddenly more attractive in my book.
I think Bronco is one of the few coaches in all of football that could consistently win at BYU given the restrictions that happened in 2004. We will see if we are able to find another one when this staff is let go be it after this season or next when we have endured another disaster.

KingCoug
All-American

Post by KingCoug »

That's just it. As painful as it is, I'm willing to endure the rocky road in an effort to get BYU beyond where Bronco could get us. If Bronco is indeed the best BYU can do, that may be the saddest statement of all.

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director
frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

KingCoug wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:55 pm That's just it. As painful as it is, I'm willing to endure the rocky road in an effort to get BYU beyond where Bronco could get us. If Bronco is indeed the best BYU can do, that may be the saddest statement of all.
I disagree with your opinions on Bronco. Bronco did amazing things with the recruiting restrictions that BYU self inflicted. BYU has more recruiting restrictions than any of the service academies and has forced academic standards that are way above what it needs simply because of the LDS population demand to get into the school. Lavell never had to deal with them. Bronco's biggest mistake was to declare publicly where he wanted to take the program and his issues with beating the utes (incidentally who could out recruit BYU all day long because they have no recruiting restrictions at all). IMO without those restrictions, we would have dominated the utes similar to what we used to. You are going to see where Bronco can take a program as he builds the talent level at Virginia who has been a ACC doormat for years. You have seen glimpses this year but they are still down on talent compared to the competition that he plays against in the ACC.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Bronco is really irrelevant in this discussion, it would be better for all involved if he stopped coming up. BYU needs to be thinking of the future, not the past. Who is the next head coach at BYU, is it Kalani or is it someone else? What culture changes need to be made to get back to winning 10 games a year.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

hawkwing wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:55 pm Bronco is really irrelevant in this discussion, it would be better for all involved if he stopped coming up. BYU needs to be thinking of the future, not the past. Who is the next head coach at BYU, is it Kalani or is it someone else? What culture changes need to be made to get back to winning 10 games a year.
I mention Bronco, no because I ever expect him to coach at BYU again but as a frame of reference in what I want in the current staff at BYU. Last year, 9 wins was acceptable, 3 wins and the team looking completely chaotic is unacceptable. I am hoping that if this staff gets replaced that we can pull a rabbit out of our hat and find someone that was at least as good as Bronco was. I have no idea who that could be though.

KingCoug
All-American

Post by KingCoug »

frdbtr wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:11 pm
KingCoug wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:55 pm That's just it. As painful as it is, I'm willing to endure the rocky road in an effort to get BYU beyond where Bronco could get us. If Bronco is indeed the best BYU can do, that may be the saddest statement of all.
I disagree with your opinions on Bronco. Bronco did amazing things with the recruiting restrictions that BYU self inflicted. BYU has more recruiting restrictions than any of the service academies and has forced academic standards that are way above what it needs simply because of the LDS population demand to get into the school. Lavell never had to deal with them. Bronco's biggest mistake was to declare publicly where he wanted to take the program and his issues with beating the utes (incidentally who could out recruit BYU all day long because they have no recruiting restrictions at all). IMO without those restrictions, we would have dominated the utes similar to what we used to. You are going to see where Bronco can take a program as he builds the talent level at Virginia who has been a ACC doormat for years. You have seen glimpses this year but they are still down on talent compared to the competition that he plays against in the ACC.
Seems like a lot of you are basing what you think will happen in the future, with BYU and Virginia, on this season alone.