UMass game

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: UMass game

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Fido wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:28 am
hawkwing wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:49 am Absolutely this team would be 10 or 11 wins this year with the previous staff.

They are bad because the staff is bad.
Believe me I think the staff did a horrific job this year. But there is no way this team has the talent to win 10-11 games.
LSU, Wisconsin, Mississippi State all still crush this team no matter who is coaching.
A ranked Boise State team also probably beats this team under a different staff. Bronco had a long losing streak to Utah and I don't picture that changing this year either. If that happened (not a stretch in my opinion) that is only 8 wins. The days of the 10-win Cougars on a regular basis died with leaving the MWC. You play a big boy schedule and 8 or more wins is a very good season.
TRUE THIS. The whole "We'll play anybody anywhere" is turning into a failed expedition!!
-No P5 invite.
-Higher pressure on coaches with perennially G5 recruiting classes...at best.
-No P5 coaches to recruit. No P5 money to recruit and stay competitive to recruit good assistants.
-Slaughterhouse row schedules that are killing our boys.
-Oh and another murderers row schedule next season.
The program is swirling the drain. IF we lose more ticket sales and tv opps--knowing the ESPN money is hemoraging-- AND our brand goes down the toilet.
Oh and of course the LOYAL Cougars fan base that will jump ship when BYU grovels its way back to a G5 conference...this just gets better and better.
I could see TH and the coaching staff getting axed after next years repeat of this year. Truly sad. :~(

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by SpiffCoug »

Gunk wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:57 am Coaches suck and the players knew it.

It's not like they are going to lose their scholarships and there's little to no chance of going to the NFL, so what's the incentive? They aren't going bowling.
The slower players figured this out in the middle of the 1st quarter against LSU. That was when the players who hadn't already made up their mind about the coaching staff quit playing. At no point in any game this season did I feel like BYU played hard. It was lackluster performance after mediocre performance after lackadaisical performance. They quit before the season even began.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BroncoBot »

Gunk wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:57 am Coaches suck and the players knew it.

It's not like they are going to lose their scholarships and there's little to no chance of going to the NFL, so what's the incentive? They aren't going bowling.
Man. If I was playing division I football, pride alone would have kept me gunning for wins. Maybe we needed some better captains to get this team back in line.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

hawkwing wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:49 am Absolutely this team would be 10 or 11 wins this year with the previous staff.

Believe me I think the staff did a horrific job this year. But there is no way this team has the talent to win 10-11 games.
LSU, Wisconsin, Mississippi State all still crush this team no matter who is coaching.
A ranked Boise State team also probably beats this team under a different staff. Bronco had a long losing streak to Utah and I don't picture that changing this year either. If that happened (not a stretch in my opinion) that is only 8 wins. The days of the 10-win Cougars on a regular basis died with leaving the MWC. You play a big boy schedule and 8 or more wins is a very good season.
This team with this level of talent would have beat LSU this year. Lost to Wisconsin and Mississippi State. Boise would have been a win and Utah a toss up. Yes, they have a huge mental edge over the previous staff, but they are also a lot worse this year than any year we've played them in the last 10 years, so I have it as a 50/50 game.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

hawkwing wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:04 am

This team with this level of talent would have beat LSU this year. Lost to Wisconsin and Mississippi State. Boise would have been a win and Utah a toss up. Yes, they have a huge mental edge over the previous staff, but they are also a lot worse this year than any year we've played them in the last 10 years, so I have it as a 50/50 game.
With the previous staff BYU would have gotten 2-3 of the first 4 and would have had a 50/50 chance of getting one of the Wisconsin/Miss State games. Having said that, I only reference the previous staff in order to set a baseline for what I expect from the current one. IMO, we need a new staff, the new staff needs to perform at least as well as the Bronco staff in order to stay. The problem is; our requirements for a HC may or may not handcuff us into ever having a staff that was as good as Bronco.