Beau Hoge out for the rest of the season.

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
ABYUFAN
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Beau Hoge out for the rest of the season.

Post by ABYUFAN »

BroncoBot wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:02 pm Here's my depth chart if I'm BYU head coach right now.

1. Critchlow
2. KDJ
3. Kafentzis
4. Kaufusi, Corbin
5. Anyone not named Wilstead

Makes zero sense to put Wilstead in if he's the best QB and there is only 2 games left in the current season. Don't play the kid.
Except he wants to play. He certainly is entitled to vote if he's gonna spend 4 years in college or 5.

Cougarfan87
All-American

Post by Cougarfan87 »

If I am Wilstead, I want a chance to prove myself in a game as well, because otherwise it may be tough to unseat Critchlow or Mangum in Spring Camp. Fans want players not to burn their red shirts. Players want to play and prove themselves (not that they are hoping for other Qbs to be injured).

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
mormonrasta
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by mormonrasta »

BroncoBot wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:02 pm Here's my depth chart if I'm BYU head coach right now.

1. Critchlow
2. KDJ
3. Kafentzis
4. Kaufusi, Corbin

Makes zero sense to put Wilstead in if he's the best QB and there is only 2 games left in the current season. Don't play the kid.
This scenario shows the value of amending the redshirt rules. The NCAA is considering a proposal by the AFCA to allow players to play in 4 games and still redshirt. That way guys like Wilstead don't have to "burn a redshirt" if they are called upon late in the year when multiple injuries impact a position.

Cougarfan87
All-American

Post by Cougarfan87 »

mormonrasta wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:10 pm

1. Critchlow
2. KDJ
3. Kafentzis
4. Kaufusi, Corbin

This scenario shows the value of amending the redshirt rules. The NCAA is considering a proposal by the AFCA to allow players to play in 4 games and still redshirt. That way guys like Wilstead don't have to "burn a redshirt" if they are called upon late in the year when multiple injuries impact a position.
That would be a welcome change to the rules.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BroncoBot »

Mars wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:56 pm If Critchlow gets hurt and Wilstead still doesn't get any playing time, I think he's gone at a JC next year.
Still seems like the right thing for BYU to not play him so he has one later if he needs it. This has turned into quite the debacle.

Side note - remember all those fans who though that Mangum could potentially be going to the draft after this year? where'd they go? personally, wish they had been right...

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Also. If I'm wilstead I figure I'm sitting pretty. BYU hasn't got through a season with a healthy QB for a long time. By the time all the other QBs are knocked out, maybe the offense will have worked its kinks out. I think leaving would be short sighted. But I understand how he could be feeling like he's not going to get a shot.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

My understanding is that Wilstead asked for the shot -- he doesn't plan on five years at BYU, so he doesn't anticipate needing/wanting a redshirt.

If that's truly the case -- have at it.

selway
Gray Shirt
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by selway »

I cannot see why people worry about burning a redshirt with the pipeline full of quarterbacks like Baylor Romney and 2018 5 star guy in Tanner McKee and four star 2018 Zaddock Dinkleman a LSU recruit. It is a blessing to burn a redshirt and get a chance to play No one knows who is going to pan out if they are any good all can play as a freshman. None of the top tier quarterbacks at BYU went on a mission and after the problems with Tanner Magnum some will rethink that route that have topline pro potential and I support that decision for the Jabari Parker and Frank Jackson type of players.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

John Beck and Max Hall both went on missions.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

snoscythe wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:48 pm My understanding is that Wilstead asked for the shot -- he doesn't plan on five years at BYU, so he doesn't anticipate needing/wanting a redshirt.

If that's truly the case -- have at it.
If he really understands what that means, I agree, go for it.

But if Joe Critchlow is lighting up Umass and Hawaii, do you play Wilstead for a series or two?