BYU favored over UMass

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BYU favored over UMass

Post by frdbtr »

Mars wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:47 am Funny thing, I'm more worried about our defense all of a sudden. They suck.
I have been worried about the defense all year, even before everyone started admitting they were bad.

Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Mars »

It's not that our D has gotten worse necessarily, but that our Offense is slightly better now.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
imuakahuku
All-American

Post by imuakahuku »

Our D is playing bad too. I don't even know what the point is on some of the coverages. Why are the safeties standing on the goal line when they are at the 20? I don't get it. I understand bend don't break but what good does is do to be 20 yards off the ball? Also, how many times do our edge players need to be burned to learn not to dip inside when they are supposed to have the edge? I paused and showed my son how the CB by just having his head on the inside of the WR ended up in a 9 yard gain instead of a three or four yard gain if he keeps his head outside the block. And Corbin looked lost at times. I don't get how you get juked so badly when you come off the edge unblocked with a clean line to the QB and you get burned by him to the outside. Corbin you are almost 6'10, in a situation like this use a controlled rush, keep your arms up and the QB will panic and at best will throw it away. Instead you get made to look silly and he rolls out to an unobstructed view for 4-5 seconds of what is going on downfield. Just plain frustrating.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

imuakahuku wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:31 pm Our D is playing bad too. I don't even know what the point is on some of the coverages. Why are the safeties standing on the goal line when they are at the 20? I don't get it. I understand bend don't break but what good does is do to be 20 yards off the ball? Also, how many times do our edge players need to be burned to learn not to dip inside when they are supposed to have the edge? I paused and showed my son how the CB by just having his head on the inside of the WR ended up in a 9 yard gain instead of a three or four yard gain if he keeps his head outside the block. And Corbin looked lost at times. I don't get how you get juked so badly when you come off the edge unblocked with a clean line to the QB and you get burned by him to the outside. Corbin you are almost 6'10, in a situation like this use a controlled rush, keep your arms up and the QB will panic and at best will throw it away. Instead you get made to look silly and he rolls out to an unobstructed view for 4-5 seconds of what is going on downfield. Just plain frustrating.
All because of the way they are coached. This coaching staff is not demanding perfection from the players. There is no accountability or this stuff would not happen over and over. This coaching staff has failed and needs to be replaced.

BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by BoiseBYU »

Critchfield was sacked 7(!!) times today for -46 yards. Multiple holding penalties. The OLine did not play like the experienced group they are

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

BoiseBYU wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:36 pm Critchfield was sacked 7(!!) times today for -46 yards. Multiple holding penalties. The OLine did not play like the experienced group they are
To be fair, the Minutemen did come in averaging 1/2 a sack a game. So it was a pretty fierce pass rush we were going up against.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

SpiffCoug wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:30 pm
BoiseBYU wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:36 pm Critchfield was sacked 7(!!) times today for -46 yards. Multiple holding penalties. The OLine did not play like the experienced group they are
To be fair, the Minutemen did come in averaging 1/2 a sack a game. So it was a pretty fierce pass rush we were going up against.
Umass' game plan was
1. Don't let Critchlow ever get comfrotable
2. Make BYU beat you with the run

BYU failed miserably to make any adjustments all game.
hard game to watch.

BoiseBYU
All Star

Post by BoiseBYU »

BroncoBot wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:42 pm
Umass' game plan was

hard game to watch.
Frankly, if UMass had not even bothered to come up with a game plan, it wouldn’t have mattered. He way we played, coached, performed we’d still have lost.

BoiseBYU
All Star

Post by BoiseBYU »

So they were 14 times more effective against us pass rushing? Egads

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

BoiseBYU wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:48 pm
BroncoBot wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:42 pm
Umass' game plan was

hard game to watch.
Frankly, if UMass had not even bothered to come up with a game plan, it wouldn’t have mattered. He way we played, coached, performed we’d still have lost.
I think we are saying the same thing, but IF BYU had come up with any sort of serious game plan, they should have beat Umass. Were the coaches all too busy making their plans for the Hawaii game to care about the Umass game?

BYU beats UNLV and has a little momentum finally this year. And then performs like THAT? Something is seriously amiss here. Props to UMass, they came in and just kicked BYU's butt from start to finish. But that shouldn't happen. Even if BYU plays the scout team for the entire game.