BYU favored over UMass

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Posts: 5557
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:02 pm
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BYU favored over UMass

Post by frdbtr » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:23 am

Mars wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:47 am
Funny thing, I'm more worried about our defense all of a sudden. They suck.
I have been worried about the defense all year, even before everyone started admitting they were bad.

User avatar
Mars
Retired
Posts: 9077
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:13 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner
Contact:

Re: BYU favored over UMass

Post by Mars » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:59 am

It's not that our D has gotten worse necessarily, but that our Offense is slightly better now.
Mars al'Thor, The Cougar Reborn!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars

imuakahuku
All-American
Posts: 1577
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:49 pm
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BYU favored over UMass

Post by imuakahuku » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:31 pm

Our D is playing bad too. I don't even know what the point is on some of the coverages. Why are the safeties standing on the goal line when they are at the 20? I don't get it. I understand bend don't break but what good does is do to be 20 yards off the ball? Also, how many times do our edge players need to be burned to learn not to dip inside when they are supposed to have the edge? I paused and showed my son how the CB by just having his head on the inside of the WR ended up in a 9 yard gain instead of a three or four yard gain if he keeps his head outside the block. And Corbin looked lost at times. I don't get how you get juked so badly when you come off the edge unblocked with a clean line to the QB and you get burned by him to the outside. Corbin you are almost 6'10, in a situation like this use a controlled rush, keep your arms up and the QB will panic and at best will throw it away. Instead you get made to look silly and he rolls out to an unobstructed view for 4-5 seconds of what is going on downfield. Just plain frustrating.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Posts: 5557
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:02 pm
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BYU favored over UMass

Post by frdbtr » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:08 pm

imuakahuku wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:31 pm
Our D is playing bad too. I don't even know what the point is on some of the coverages. Why are the safeties standing on the goal line when they are at the 20? I don't get it. I understand bend don't break but what good does is do to be 20 yards off the ball? Also, how many times do our edge players need to be burned to learn not to dip inside when they are supposed to have the edge? I paused and showed my son how the CB by just having his head on the inside of the WR ended up in a 9 yard gain instead of a three or four yard gain if he keeps his head outside the block. And Corbin looked lost at times. I don't get how you get juked so badly when you come off the edge unblocked with a clean line to the QB and you get burned by him to the outside. Corbin you are almost 6'10, in a situation like this use a controlled rush, keep your arms up and the QB will panic and at best will throw it away. Instead you get made to look silly and he rolls out to an unobstructed view for 4-5 seconds of what is going on downfield. Just plain frustrating.
All because of the way they are coached. This coaching staff is not demanding perfection from the players. There is no accountability or this stuff would not happen over and over. This coaching staff has failed and needs to be replaced.

User avatar
BoiseBYU
Pro
Posts: 3779
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:35 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BYU favored over UMass

Post by BoiseBYU » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:36 pm

Critchfield was sacked 7(!!) times today for -46 yards. Multiple holding penalties. The OLine did not play like the experienced group they are

User avatar
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Posts: 12721
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:11 am
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BYU favored over UMass

Post by SpiffCoug » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:30 pm

BoiseBYU wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:36 pm
Critchfield was sacked 7(!!) times today for -46 yards. Multiple holding penalties. The OLine did not play like the experienced group they are
To be fair, the Minutemen did come in averaging 1/2 a sack a game. So it was a pretty fierce pass rush we were going up against.
BYU PER W/L Since 1988: 319-53 (.858 )
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Image

User avatar
BroncoBot
Retired
Posts: 9209
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:30 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BYU favored over UMass

Post by BroncoBot » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:42 pm

SpiffCoug wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:30 pm
BoiseBYU wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:36 pm
Critchfield was sacked 7(!!) times today for -46 yards. Multiple holding penalties. The OLine did not play like the experienced group they are
To be fair, the Minutemen did come in averaging 1/2 a sack a game. So it was a pretty fierce pass rush we were going up against.
Umass' game plan was
1. Don't let Critchlow ever get comfrotable
2. Make BYU beat you with the run

BYU failed miserably to make any adjustments all game.
hard game to watch.

User avatar
BoiseBYU
Pro
Posts: 3779
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:35 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BYU favored over UMass

Post by BoiseBYU » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:48 pm

BroncoBot wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:42 pm
SpiffCoug wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:30 pm
BoiseBYU wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:36 pm
Critchfield was sacked 7(!!) times today for -46 yards. Multiple holding penalties. The OLine did not play like the experienced group they are
To be fair, the Minutemen did come in averaging 1/2 a sack a game. So it was a pretty fierce pass rush we were going up against.
Umass' game plan was
1. Don't let Critchlow ever get comfrotable
2. Make BYU beat you with the run

BYU failed miserably to make any adjustments all game.
hard game to watch.
Frankly, if UMass had not even bothered to come up with a game plan, it wouldn’t have mattered. He way we played, coached, performed we’d still have lost.

User avatar
BoiseBYU
Pro
Posts: 3779
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:35 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BYU favored over UMass

Post by BoiseBYU » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:51 pm

SpiffCoug wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:30 pm
BoiseBYU wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:36 pm
Critchfield was sacked 7(!!) times today for -46 yards. Multiple holding penalties. The OLine did not play like the experienced group they are
To be fair, the Minutemen did come in averaging 1/2 a sack a game. So it was a pretty fierce pass rush we were going up against.
So they were 14 times more effective against us pass rushing? Egads

User avatar
BroncoBot
Retired
Posts: 9209
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:30 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BYU favored over UMass

Post by BroncoBot » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:52 pm

BoiseBYU wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:48 pm
BroncoBot wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:42 pm
SpiffCoug wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:30 pm
BoiseBYU wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:36 pm
Critchfield was sacked 7(!!) times today for -46 yards. Multiple holding penalties. The OLine did not play like the experienced group they are
To be fair, the Minutemen did come in averaging 1/2 a sack a game. So it was a pretty fierce pass rush we were going up against.
Umass' game plan was
1. Don't let Critchlow ever get comfrotable
2. Make BYU beat you with the run

BYU failed miserably to make any adjustments all game.
hard game to watch.
Frankly, if UMass had not even bothered to come up with a game plan, it wouldn’t have mattered. He way we played, coached, performed we’d still have lost.
I think we are saying the same thing, but IF BYU had come up with any sort of serious game plan, they should have beat Umass. Were the coaches all too busy making their plans for the Hawaii game to care about the Umass game?

BYU beats UNLV and has a little momentum finally this year. And then performs like THAT? Something is seriously amiss here. Props to UMass, they came in and just kicked BYU's butt from start to finish. But that shouldn't happen. Even if BYU plays the scout team for the entire game.

Post Reply