Joe Critchlow getting the start tonight

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
User avatar
BoiseBYU
Pro
Posts: 3785
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:35 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Joe Critchlow getting the start tonight

Post by BoiseBYU » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:02 pm

Critchlow is NOT playing like a first time freshman starter. Passes are crisp, decisions are sound, and he seems comfortable in the pocket. A good first half for the young man.

User avatar
Mars
Retired
Posts: 9087
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:13 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner
Contact:

Re: Joe Critchlow getting the start tonight

Post by Mars » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:25 pm

frdbtr wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:01 pm
Mars wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:56 pm
I'm interested in Critchlow's 1st half stats. They will probably be surprisingly good!
166 PER
"Lit", as the kids would say.

Que the "why didn't he start earlier?" questioning.
Mars al'Thor, The Cougar Reborn!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars

User avatar
BroncoBot
Retired
Posts: 9216
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:30 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Joe Critchlow getting the start tonight

Post by BroncoBot » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:17 am

Mars wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:25 pm
frdbtr wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:01 pm
Mars wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:56 pm
I'm interested in Critchlow's 1st half stats. They will probably be surprisingly good!
166 PER
"Lit", as the kids would say.

Que the "why didn't he start earlier?" questioning.
time to start the what if scenarios....
whole team looked better this game.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Posts: 5561
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:02 pm
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Joe Critchlow getting the start tonight

Post by frdbtr » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:19 am

BroncoBot wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:17 am
Mars wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:25 pm
frdbtr wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:01 pm
Mars wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:56 pm
I'm interested in Critchlow's 1st half stats. They will probably be surprisingly good!
166 PER
"Lit", as the kids would say.

Que the "why didn't he start earlier?" questioning.
time to start the what if scenarios....
whole team looked better this game.
Not a healthy thing to do. No one in their right mind would have benched Tanner for a freshman right off a mission. He looked good. Looked comfortable in the offense. If he keeps playing this well, he will be really hard to beat out from the starting QB from now on.

UCChris
BLUEshirt
Posts: 192
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:49 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Joe Critchlow getting the start tonight

Post by UCChris » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:20 am

frdbtr wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:25 pm
Hoge was not cleared to play so Critchlow is the starter. Too bad, Hoge would have given us an opportunity to win. Nothing against Critchlow but he just will not be able to know the offense well enough to make play calling viable against a D1 defense.
How's that crow taste? I think Critchlow shocked us all!

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Posts: 5561
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:02 pm
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Joe Critchlow getting the start tonight

Post by frdbtr » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:23 am

UCChris wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:20 am
frdbtr wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:25 pm
Hoge was not cleared to play so Critchlow is the starter. Too bad, Hoge would have given us an opportunity to win. Nothing against Critchlow but he just will not be able to know the offense well enough to make play calling viable against a D1 defense.
How's that crow taste? I think Critchlow shocked us all!
There's no crow to eat. Did anyone think they would see him look so comfortable, getting the ball out quick and to the open guy all night. I only saw 1 bad pass all night from him. That is astounding considering the time he has had in this offense. It was a shocker to me, but a pleasant one.

User avatar
Jarhead
Junior
Posts: 791
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:38 am
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Joe Critchlow getting the start tonight

Post by Jarhead » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:40 am

frdbtr wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:19 am
BroncoBot wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:17 am
Mars wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:25 pm
frdbtr wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:01 pm
Mars wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:56 pm
I'm interested in Critchlow's 1st half stats. They will probably be surprisingly good!
166 PER
"Lit", as the kids would say.

Que the "why didn't he start earlier?" questioning.
time to start the what if scenarios....
whole team looked better this game.
Not a healthy thing to do. No one in their right mind would have benched Tanner for a freshman right off a mission. He looked good. Looked comfortable in the offense. If he keeps playing this well, he will be really hard to beat out from the starting QB from now on.
Once they pulled Critchlow's redshirt there were at least two games that I had no clue why Mangum was in there, especially after half time. Mangum was playing terrible and he could barely move out there anyway. Mangum did almost nothing on the field until very late in his season to justify the coaches continuing to play him.

User avatar
Cougarfan87
All-American
Posts: 1796
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:00 am
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Joe Critchlow getting the start tonight

Post by Cougarfan87 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:26 am

It is amazing what happens when you have a pro style QB in a pro style offense. All of a sudden the O line and receivers look much better. The running game looks better. The OC looks like he knows how to call plays. Conversions from spread to pro are always a gamble, but I have been waiting to see what this kid would do. Ran pro style in high school? Check. Throws on time and in rhythym? Check. And now this game we got to see that he also goes through progressions, doesn’t stare down receivers, sees the open man, has great touch on the ball, and is very accurate. Check, check, check, check, check. Checks all the boxes. We have a new starting QB. Assuming Critchlow continues this way, I think it is check mate for Mangum’s career. But it’s only been one game, so who knows? I think Critchlow is something special though.
Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.

User avatar
BroncoBot
Retired
Posts: 9216
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:30 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Joe Critchlow getting the start tonight

Post by BroncoBot » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:32 am

was critchlow really running the same offense as Tanner? Or was it modified? It definitely was a huge improvement but I don't know if we are comparing apples and oranges or bananas here. If the offense DID change or was simplified, the obvious question is... Why didn't the coaches modify the offense more for Tanner?

User avatar
Cougarfan87
All-American
Posts: 1796
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:00 am
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Joe Critchlow getting the start tonight

Post by Cougarfan87 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:45 am

It looked like the same offense to me, but instead of forcing the ball to primary reads, Critchlow was making progressions and not staring down receivers. As Bear Bryant used to say, its not the Xs and Os, but the Jimmys and Joes that make the difference...in this case one Joe Critchlow.
Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.

Post Reply