Good news: Ului Lapuaho will be back next year

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Good news: Ului Lapuaho will be back next year

Post by Fido »

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: Good news: Ului Lapuaho will be back next year

Post by frdbtr »

Isn't the fact that the players aren't executing a problem with coaching?

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Glad he'll be back.

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

frdbtr wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:18 pm Isn't the fact that the players aren't executing a problem with coaching?
Only to an extent. At some point players must get the job done. Coaches don’t have an Xbox controller over there.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Fido wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:41 am
frdbtr wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:18 pm Isn't the fact that the players aren't executing a problem with coaching?
Only to an extent. At some point players must get the job done. Coaches don’t have an Xbox controller over there.
Actually, by all accounts they have way too many X-Box controllers over there, that's part of the problem! :lol: :lol: :lol:

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by byufan4ever »

hawkwing wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:11 am
Fido wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:41 am
Actually, by all accounts they have way too many X-Box controllers over there, that's part of the problem! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nice one!!

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
YNot
All-American

Post by YNot »

I chalk a lot of this year's struggles to inexperience - for both players and the coaching staff.

Over half of our running back touches and over 70% of receptions have come from underclassmen. Think of the injuries this year and how that has affected our team experience and the mess the coaches have dealt with from week to week. And, how many momentum-changing fumbles and dropped passes have we seen from in experienced underclassmen?

Inexperience, injuries, and the tough first half schedule have combined to the disappointing 2-8 record. But, we have seen improvement. We played well enough and beat SJSU. BYU performed better than the average opponent against a top-25 Fresno defense (who held 8-2 SDSU to 3 points and 255 yards)...in the game against a likely MWC championship contender in November on the road.

I'll give the coaching staff and players the benefit of the doubt. There are three games left this year to continue to show improvement ...and a winnable home schedule in 2018. I'll sing a different tune if we finish with 10 losses this year and we're looking at 2-8 next November; but that hasn't happened yet, so there's still a chance for improvement and cause for hope.

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

YNot wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:15 pm I chalk a lot of this year's struggles to inexperience - for both players and the coaching staff.

Over half of our running back touches and over 70% of receptions have come from underclassmen. Think of the injuries this year and how that has affected our team experience and the mess the coaches have dealt with from week to week. And, how many momentum-changing fumbles and dropped passes have we seen from in experienced underclassmen?

Inexperience, injuries, and the tough first half schedule have combined to the disappointing 2-8 record. But, we have seen improvement. We played well enough and beat SJSU. BYU performed better than the average opponent against a top-25 Fresno defense (who held 8-2 SDSU to 3 points and 255 yards)...in the game against a likely MWC championship contender in November on the road.

I'll give the coaching staff and players the benefit of the doubt. There are three games left this year to continue to show improvement ...and a winnable home schedule in 2018. I'll sing a different tune if we finish with 10 losses this year and we're looking at 2-8 next November; but that hasn't happened yet, so there's still a chance for improvement and cause for hope.
Wow....that is a heckuvalot of leeway.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

if BYU never wins another game, I might begin to think that maybe there's a small issue ;)

Jarhead
All-American

Post by Jarhead »

hawkwing wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:15 pm if BYU never wins another game, I might begin to think that maybe there's a small issue ;)
Agreed