What do you think the fan reaction would be?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: What do you think the fan reaction would be?

Post by frdbtr »

scott715 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:58 pm What if he kept most of the position coaches who did the recruiting?
The head coach has to be the "closer" with recruits. If recruits didn't like him it wouldn't work. I think he is a good coach though. Virginia's offense is physical and tough.

a1247
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by a1247 »

frdbtr wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:34 pm
snoscythe wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:21 am I really think BYU's best option for a quick turnaround is Ed Lamb. Chad Lewis just needs to hurry up and baptize him.
I completely agree with this. Either get him baptized or get off your BYU high horse and suspend this stupid tradition that a BYU HC has to have a temple recommend.
YES absolutely YES bring in coaches with a coaching pedigree not just because they are "card carrying members".
I do believe KS has the ability to turn this around. (I know you do not) BYU handcuffs themselves to much to be going out and firing coaches after 1 bad year. Ty isn't going anywhere and I hope Lamb and Kafusi don't leave. The rest it might be time to replace with someone with previous coaching experience. Coaches like a Gary Anderson, Aaron Roderick or how about Eric Drage. Why has Drage never been an option?

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

a1247 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:23 pm
frdbtr wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:34 pm
snoscythe wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:21 am I really think BYU's best option for a quick turnaround is Ed Lamb. Chad Lewis just needs to hurry up and baptize him.
I completely agree with this. Either get him baptized or get off your BYU high horse and suspend this stupid tradition that a BYU HC has to have a temple recommend.
YES absolutely YES bring in coaches with a coaching pedigree not just because they are "card carrying members".
I do believe KS has the ability to turn this around. (I know you do not) BYU handcuffs themselves to much to be going out and firing coaches after 1 bad year. Ty isn't going anywhere and I hope Lamb and Kafusi don't leave. The rest it might be time to replace with someone with previous coaching experience. Coaches like a Gary Anderson, Aaron Roderick or how about Eric Drage. Why has Drage never been an option?
I would love to see Drage as the receivers coach. I know him personally. He's a great guy. I feel he would be tough and no nonsense with the guys. Make them execute perfectly.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Drage can come and coach at BYU once he has a minimum of 3 years coaching receivers at FBS level. Otherwise, I wouldn't even interview him.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by SpiffCoug »

a1247 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:23 pmWhy has Drage never been an option?
frdbtr wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:20 pmI would love to see Drage as the receivers coach. I know him personally. He's a great guy. I feel he would be tough and no nonsense with the guys. Make them execute perfectly.
hawkwing wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:36 am Drage can come and coach at BYU once he has a minimum of 3 years coaching receivers at FBS level. Otherwise, I wouldn't even interview him.
Haven't we learned our lesson about hiring an alumnus because they played well at BYU and then haven't been involved in coaching for years and/or decades to at extremely low level so as to barely qualify as coaching as opposed to volunteering.

Like Hawk says, let's wait until he's had some serious collegiate experience coaching before we even give him a look.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

SpiffCoug wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:27 pm
frdbtr wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:20 pmI would love to see Drage as the receivers coach. I know him personally. He's a great guy. I feel he would be tough and no nonsense with the guys. Make them execute perfectly.
hawkwing wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:36 am Drage can come and coach at BYU once he has a minimum of 3 years coaching receivers at FBS level. Otherwise, I wouldn't even interview him.
Haven't we learned our lesson about hiring an alumnus because they played well at BYU and then haven't been involved in coaching for years and/or decades to at extremely low level so as to barely qualify as coaching as opposed to volunteering.

Like Hawk says, let's wait until he's had some serious collegiate experience coaching before we even give him a look.
And another point I'd like to bring up is that in the collegiate coaching world, you bring in new ideas by hiring those with experience with other coaches and other styles. BYU is terrible and stagnant now because the coaches don't have any experience working in any other systems or with any other coaches.

Personally I'd make sure that there was always 3 or 4 guys on the staff who had no previous experience with BYU but came from coaching trees outside of the BYU umbrella.

a1247
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by a1247 »

SpiffCoug wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:27 pm

He HAS been coaching that's the reason I brought his name up in the first place

"Wasatch REVolution Head Coach Eric Drage has been a coach in the Rocky Mountain Football League for years. He has been the reigning Head Coach of the REV since their inception in 2009."

Jarhead
All-American

Post by Jarhead »

I think the general fan reaction would be negative to Anae being hired as head coach.

I have my doubts, but it's very well possible Anae could make the transition to head coach. I'm not sure if I personally would be ready yet to take that risk.

Jarhead
All-American

Post by Jarhead »

Conspiracy Theory:
frdbtr, the author of this thread, is actually Tom Holmoe. He's testing the waters on Anae and of course came to Cougar Corner first.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

Jarhead wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:29 pm Conspiracy Theory:
frdbtr, the author of this thread, is actually Tom Holmoe. He's testing the waters on Anae and of course came to Cougar Corner first.
:lol: This post is funny.