BYU's defense sucks

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

BYU's defense sucks

Post by frdbtr »

Even if BYU had a good offense which they don't, they would still lose games because of this defense. The defense is undisciplined and can't get off the field.

BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: BYU's defense sucks

Post by BroncoBot »

BYU has rarely had a good defense and good offense. This just happens to be a year when both are terrible.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Watching 8 yard runs up our gut kills me.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

BYU sucks.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
UCChris
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by UCChris »

But Kalani said the offense is the problem! /s

What a farce.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

I'm not saying that the defense is awesome or even good. But the defense held FSU to under 24 points. What did the offense do? 13 points. And the run defense allowed just 3.4 YPC with a long of 9. That's not too bad. The 50 and 35 yard pass plays really hurt us. And those dropped balls on offense. It's not just one receiver and it's still so prevalent this late in the season??

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

byufan4ever wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:39 am I'm not saying that the defense is awesome or even good. But the defense held FSU to under 24 points. What did the offense do? 13 points. And the run defense allowed just 3.4 YPC with a long of 9. That's not too bad. The 50 and 35 yard pass plays really hurt us. And those dropped balls on offense. It's not just one receiver and it's still so prevalent this late in the season??
The receivers are still the biggest problem on the team but the defense simply doesn't get teams off the field to give the offense more chances to score. Even when they don't give up TD's they give up multiple play drives that eat up clock. Then, when things are critical and BYU just takes momentum after a long TD scoring drive to tie up the game (the defense isn't tired), They go out and give up an 88 yard TD drive that ices the game for Fresno. The defense sucks, the offense sucks, BYU is a bad team all around this year.

YNot
All-American

Post by YNot »

frdbtr wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:18 am
byufan4ever wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:39 am I'm not saying that the defense is awesome or even good. But the defense held FSU to under 24 points. What did the offense do? 13 points. And the run defense allowed just 3.4 YPC with a long of 9. That's not too bad. The 50 and 35 yard pass plays really hurt us. And those dropped balls on offense. It's not just one receiver and it's still so prevalent this late in the season??
The receivers are still the biggest problem on the team but the defense simply doesn't get teams off the field to give the offense more chances to score. Even when they don't give up TD's they give up multiple play drives that eat up clock. Then, when things are critical and BYU just takes momentum after a long TD scoring drive to tie up the game (the defense isn't tired), They go out and give up an 88 yard TD drive that ices the game for Fresno. The defense sucks, the offense sucks, BYU is a bad team all around this year.
The defense is not great, but the offense holds most of the blame. 13 points.

BYU ran 70 plays; Fresno St. ran 60 plays. 5.0 yards per pass attempt (4.9 yards per attempt when Tanner was in) and 0 passing TDs are major indications as to BYU's offensive struggles.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

YNot wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:08 am
frdbtr wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:18 am
The defense is not great, but the offense holds most of the blame. 13 points.

BYU ran 70 plays; Fresno St. ran 60 plays. 5.0 yards per pass attempt (4.9 yards per attempt when Tanner was in) and 0 passing TDs are major indications as to BYU's offensive struggles.
Everyone knows the offense is bad. My point is, the whole team is bad. The defense is below average too. I am just a little tired of the media saying stuff like "the defense keeps byu in games, the offense loses them" That is just not true. If the defense were all that, they wouldn't have given up an 88 play drive on the very next drive after BYU tied up the game. As far as passing TD's, BYU will never be a dominant passing team until the receiver issue gets fixed.

ABYUFAN
Pro

Post by ABYUFAN »

21 points wins this game. The defense, although not spectacular, did its job