Things may be getting worse... Tolutau cited

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Things may be getting worse... Tolutau cited

Post by frdbtr »

BroncoBot wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:22 pm
mtnradio wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:46 pm
imuakahuku wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:01 pm AFR had a good review and I think I concur with them. This is a problem of team leadership in just about all facets. Logan and Nixon I think hit it on the head. Pretty much nobody is stepping forward and demanding each player step up and be responsible for themselves and for the team.

I think Ula transferred here because he was still on his "mission high". It was the environment that he wanted and maybe thought it would insulate him. Unfortunately he was caught with some of it. I don't see any charges of him using it but I bet he comes clean on if he did or not. I think if he had planned to "party" after his mission he would have gone to Utah to avoid the HC.
Yes, this.

We don't know what will happen to Ula, short-term nor long-term. I really hope the best for him. He's a talented kid who made a mistake. I hope he learns from it ... and I hope he's back in the future.
Bare minimum he's done for the rest of the year. Right? I could suspending for a half if he had a drink at a party. But marijuana's not even legal in utah, is it?
Utah is one of the few states who have not approved weed for any purpose, including medical. No one would have any legal reason to have it in their possession.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

frdbtr wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:42 pm
BroncoBot wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:22 pm
mtnradio wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:46 pm
imuakahuku wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:01 pm AFR had a good review and I think I concur with them. This is a problem of team leadership in just about all facets. Logan and Nixon I think hit it on the head. Pretty much nobody is stepping forward and demanding each player step up and be responsible for themselves and for the team.

I think Ula transferred here because he was still on his "mission high". It was the environment that he wanted and maybe thought it would insulate him. Unfortunately he was caught with some of it. I don't see any charges of him using it but I bet he comes clean on if he did or not. I think if he had planned to "party" after his mission he would have gone to Utah to avoid the HC.
Yes, this.

We don't know what will happen to Ula, short-term nor long-term. I really hope the best for him. He's a talented kid who made a mistake. I hope he learns from it ... and I hope he's back in the future.
Bare minimum he's done for the rest of the year. Right? I could suspending for a half if he had a drink at a party. But marijuana's not even legal in utah, is it?
Utah is one of the few states who have not approved weed for any purpose, including medical. No one would have any legal reason to have it in their possession.
One of the few states where it isn't legal may be a bit of an exaggeration, currently just over half the states allow some form of legal marijuana possession.

Also, I am in support of legalized medical marijuana usage by prescription.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by byufan4ever »

I personally don't care if someone uses marijuana or alcohol as long as they are not harming others. However, if you signed up for the Honor Code then you need to abide by it. And the coaches need to enforce it and not look the other way.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

Not to turn this into a Medical Marijuana conversation but the drug does have some pain killing qualities. I would also favor it available by prescription. Never for smoking though.

UCChris
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by UCChris »

byufan4ever wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:15 pm I personally don't care if someone uses marijuana or alcohol as long as they are not harming others. However, if you signed up for the Honor Code then you need to abide by it. And the coaches need to enforce it and not look the other way.
My thoughts exactly. I have no problem with weed/alcohol. I would happily smoke some weed if it were legal here. But once a contract is signed...

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Okay all you wandering minds.

My point was, he broke the law. Not the honor code. I don't know how he gets slapped with a game or two suspension.

BoiseBYU
All Star

Post by BoiseBYU »

BroncoBot wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:33 pm Okay all you wandering minds.

My point was, he broke the law. Not the honor code. I don't know how he gets slapped with a game or two suspension.
I’m confused. Possession of cannabis is not an honor code violation?

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Church Educational System Honor Code Statement
We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men... If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things (Thirteenth Article of Faith).

As a matter of personal commitment, faculty, administration, staff, and students of Brigham Young University, Brigham Young University-Hawaii, Brigham Young University-Idaho, and LDS Business College, seek to demonstrate in daily living on and off campus those moral virtues encompassed in the gospel of Jesus Christ, and will:

Be honest
Live a chaste and virtuous life
Obey the law and all campus policies
Use clean language
Respect others
Abstain from alcoholic beverages, tobacco, tea, coffee, and substance abuse
Participate regularly in church services
Observe the Dress and Grooming Standards
Encourage others in their commitment to comply with the Honor Code
Yes, he broke the Honor Code.

TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Junior

Post by TulaneVandyRiceCoug »

Here's a point to consider given the changes in legality for weed:

This same issue, in Utah in 5 years, won't have the same legal problems.

And, I think the only issue is not following through with the HC contract, which any private university can put anything in.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

TulaneVandyRiceCoug wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:56 pm Here's a point to consider given the changes in legality for weed:

This same issue, in Utah in 5 years, won't have the same legal problems.

And, I think the only issue is not following through with the HC contract, which any private university can put anything in.
Hmmm... Not really.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars