Poll: I honestly believe Kalani Sitake is ______

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.

I honestly believe that Kalani Sitake is...

Poll ended at Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:54 am

the best possible HC for BYU.
4%
I don't know, I have doubts if he can be an effective HC.
81%
not the right choice for HC at BYU
15%

Total votes: 26

ABYUFAN
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Poll: I honestly believe Kalani Sitake is ______

Post by ABYUFAN »

snoscythe wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:18 am I have a hard time naming one thing he's done this season that's been effective this season. It's been an unceasing parade of errors.
He did yell at Linehan for his stupid fake punt try, and that's all I have in my mind...

snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by snoscythe »

ABYUFAN wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:26 am
snoscythe wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:18 am I have a hard time naming one thing he's done this season that's been effective this season. It's been an unceasing parade of errors.
He did yell at Linehan for his stupid fake punt try, and that's all I have in my mind...
I actually dislike Kalani even more for doing that -- Linehan was the one guy still out there trying to compete and win, but he's the one guy Kalani singled out to yell at as if no one else did anything boneheaded that night.

ABYUFAN
Pro

Post by ABYUFAN »

snoscythe wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:41 am
ABYUFAN wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:26 am
I actually dislike Kalani even more for doing that -- Linehan was the one guy still out there trying to compete and win, but he's the one guy Kalani singled out to yell at as if no one else did anything boneheaded that night.
Sorry - that's all I had. I've got nothing good either then.

Jarhead
All-American

Post by Jarhead »

I voted "I don't know" in the poll originally, but if all of these off the field allegations are really true then I'm changing my vote to be "not the right head coach for BYU". AND I'd like them to clean house sooner rather than later.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

He is a Dude Bro that doesn't understand accountability.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by BoiseBYU »

In over his head.

Cougarfan87
All-American

Post by Cougarfan87 »

I put down I don't know. The first season we saw success. This season has been terrible. Compound that with the off the field issues coming to light, and I am just not sure he is the right guy for the job. I put I don't know, because I am waiting to see how he responds. Does he make coaching changes or just sink with the ship? Does he reign in the program and hold players accountable, or does he let the program's name be sullied? How he responds this year will answer that question for me. So far, it isn't looking good. But, I can't say definitively that he can't be a good coach. What happens in the offseason and the start of next year will solidify it for me in the negative if the answer is more of the same.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
YNot
All-American

Post by YNot »

Call me an apologist or whatever, but I'm definitely willing to give Kilani at least through the end of this season before I start calling for heads. BYU played one of the toughest 3-game stretches in BYU history in September: LSU-Utah-Wisconsin. A realistic pre-season assessment was that 2-2 was a good result after that initial stretch. But, we took a beating and, as a result, we're dealing with injuries to key players, like our starting QB and MLB.

Freshman are the most productive skill players on offense - Bushman, Tolutau. None of the returning guys, including Canada and Trinnaman, have been great this year or previously. Both have speed, but haven't proven that they can be difference makers. 88 yards on 21 carries against '16 Boise St. or one 75-yard catch against '16 Toledo isn't greatness.

Fumbles and injury killed us against Utah St., not coaching. That's the loss that hurts. I had ECU circled as a trap game before the season started: cross-country trip against an underrated opponent the week following a trip to Mississippi St.

My tune will change if we lose more than 2 games down the stretch; but, I believe that BYU will beat SJSU, UNLV, and UMass and will make competitive games out of the Fresno St. and Hawaii road games with a chance for a respectable 6-7 finish. I'll give the team that chance before casting stones.

CrimsonCoug
Senior

Post by CrimsonCoug »

I honestly believe Kalani Sitaki is...

...NOT the coach that BYU needs, but was the coach that BYU boosters wanted.

Unfortunately, now that they have what they wanted, they've discovered they don't want him anymore.

Even more unfortunately, now that they got what they deserved, they cannot get what they need.

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

YNot wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:23 pm Call me an apologist or whatever, but I'm definitely willing to give Kilani at least through the end of this season before I start calling for heads. BYU played one of the toughest 3-game stretches in BYU history in September: LSU-Utah-Wisconsin. A realistic pre-season assessment was that 2-2 was a good result after that initial stretch. But, we took a beating and, as a result, we're dealing with injuries to key players, like our starting QB and MLB.

Freshman are the most productive skill players on offense - Bushman, Tolutau. None of the returning guys, including Canada and Trinnaman, have been great this year or previously. Both have speed, but haven't proven that they can be difference makers. 88 yards on 21 carries against '16 Boise St. or one 75-yard catch against '16 Toledo isn't greatness.

Fumbles and injury killed us against Utah St., not coaching. That's the loss that hurts. I had ECU circled as a trap game before the season started: cross-country trip against an underrated opponent the week following a trip to Mississippi St.

My tune will change if we lose more than 2 games down the stretch; but, I believe that BYU will beat SJSU, UNLV, and UMass and will make competitive games out of the Fresno St. and Hawaii road games with a chance for a respectable 6-7 finish. I'll give the team that chance before casting stones.
I don't disagree with you, but I disagree. The 3 game stretch wasn't that bad. Utah is the worst they've been in a decade, and LSU was better than Utah, but still not good. They had half their team suspended or inactive and a new coaching staff.