The Problem with being Family

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

The Problem with being Family

Post by Gunk »

"Welcome to the Family" was the pre-season theme.

Here's the problem with football being a " family." You can't fire your brother. You can't fire your sister. You can't fire your mom, dad, cousins, etc. You may be able to distance yourself from them, but you can't fire them and in many cases you have to endure and accommodate them.

By viewing his staff as "family," Sitake has put himself in a box. Football is more business than family. Football, especially as a HC requires you to fire people.

Some years ago, a CEO of mine got up in a company meeting and said, "I love the culture of our company. I love the closeness we have. But we are not a family. People that are not performing will be fired."

Sitake is in over his head. He needs to run this team as though he were a CEO not a father. Detmer, Cahoon, Mahe, etc. are not his brothers.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Re: The Problem with being Family

Post by hawkwing »

Completely, agree. What I've been saying since last year when the flaws were visible but not exactly as plain to see as the first few games this year.

Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Fido »

Treating the staff as family is fine--as long as you also have accountability. So far this year we haven't seen any accountability for the coaching staff.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

Fido wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:17 pm Treating the staff as family is fine--as long as you also have accountability. So far this year we haven't seen any accountability for the coaching staff.
Or the players.

vancouvercougar
All-American

Post by vancouvercougar »

There are functional families and dysfunction al families. The BYU football team is dysfunctional right now.

snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by snoscythe »

Is it bad to admit out loud that I'm kind of hoping he takes the family-themed approach of his mentor Gary Anderson and just quits at this point?

vancouvercougar
All-American

snoscythe wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:51 am Is it bad to admit out loud that I'm kind of hoping he takes the family-themed approach of his mentor Gary Anderson and just quits at this point?
Living in the Portland area, Gary Anderson made big news here. Gary not only resigned but gave up his salary. Oregon State is a tough place to coach—like Provo.

My heart breaks for these coaches. I love them all. But I think there was simply too much inexperience on the staff. They did ok last year , but they didn’t have the challenges that happened this year.

I don’t know how they get control. I agree Sno starting over May be the best solution.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

I was against the Sitake hire from the beginning, but I was hoping that he would be a good coach especially after I saw his personality in the media. He is an extremely likeable person and it is too bad that he has turned out to be a horrible head coach. Maybe we could get coach Anderson to come coach the defense for us for the rest of the year, maybe we would actually stop some of the horrible teams we have left on our schedule. My end of the year prediction? The offensive staff with the exception of Empey is fired at the end of the year, Sitake remains HC, Tuiaki remains Dcoordinator and we give it another shot next year with similar results. One more End of the year prediction, Bronco Mendenhall is hired to replace Anderson at OSU.

vancouvercougar
All-American

frdbtr wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:53 pm One more End of the year prediction, Bronco Mendenhall is hired to replace Anderson at OSU.
Given Bronco's history with OSU, I'd bet they would love to have him.

ABYUFAN
Pro

Post by ABYUFAN »

frdbtr wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:53 pm My end of the year prediction? The offensive staff with the exception of Empey is fired at the end of the year...
What in the world has Empey done to deserve not getting the ax? In my mind he's one of the first to go. I hope Ty gets reassigned to QB coach and we bring in a competent OC for TY to learn the ropes behind. I would gladly welcome Crowton back in that role. I think we take a strong look at Anderson as DC, and Tuiaki back to LB coach and Kafusi to DL coach.