Does anyone get fired this week? If so, who?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Does anyone get fired this week? If so, who?

Post by Mars »

The strength and conditioning coach is a recent hire.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Cougarfan87 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:13 am I was on the patience wagon too. But I think Mangum is actually worse than Heaps. Heaps at least beat poor teams. If I were Kanani, I would demote Tuiaki to Linebackers coach and call the defense myself. The defensive play calling has been atrocious. I would move Kaufusi back to D-line, you know, where the Dline actually used to pressure people. I would bench Mangum and start Critchlow the rest of the year. Mangum doesn’t have it. Let’s see if Critchlow does. And at the end of the year, Cahoon, Mahe, and Empey would be gone. I think you have to give Ty another year with decent position coaches and a QB that can read a defense. Plus, it just doesn’t look good to fire a legend, so he gets one more year. The strength and conditioning coach also should get canned if the outmoded program is leading to injuries. There has never been a worse BYU team in my lifetime, including the Crowton years. How bad is it? I think KN and the triple option would have been better.
This isn't a shot at you Cougarfan87, but I think it mirrors a lot of fans' opinions right now. There's a lot of flip-flopping going on right now.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

frdbtr wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:25 am
The offense is out of sync because the offensive coaching sucks. The defense can't get off the field because the defensive coaching sucks. The QB and receivers are out of sync because we hired a receivers coach that was fired for incompetence by a better HC than we have now. The Oline coach is a failed TE coach that was fired by a HC that was better than the one we have now. The RB coach was hired because he was Polynesian with no other qualifications. We have no coach on the staff that is hard nosed enough to hold anyone accountable if they don't run the system perfectly. Kalani made it clear he wanted to coach with "love" instead of with discipline and now the fruits of that are showing up on the field, so he is changing his tactics and trying to get more hard nosed. The problem is, you can't change mid stream and become a different coach, it is confusing to the players and you can see that the team is getting worse, not better. This situation is the titanic, it is a dumpster fire that is having gasoline poured on it. We need a complete house cleaning and start over. This entire situation was a big mistake and IMO, I would like to see an evaluation done on the AD as well.
Well said. Agree 100% with everything you said.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by TulaneVandyRiceCoug »

The only mid-season fire I see possible is Cahoon. Receivers have been consistently bad. Team is hurting and reeling. I think the offseason will see more changes.

vancouvercougar
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by vancouvercougar »

If anyone gets fired, it will be Cahoon. 2 attempts without success.

I understand that there are a lot of injuries. But this staff hasn’t dealt with it well. In game adjustments have little effectiveness.

It’s like the staff is playing checkers against opponents who are playing chess.

YNot
All-American

Post by YNot »

I think Tom Holmoe showed two good AD moves in the last few days:

1) opting to stage the SJSU game at LES at 1pm MT on BYUtv (rather than 8:30pm on ESPNU). There will be better attendance for an early afternoon kickoff than late Saturday night - with at least a chance to finally win a game, it's the better alternative - even if BYU makes less money from the game.

2) extending the ECU series for 2022 and 2024. BYU's visiting section at ECU was full - lots of Cougar fans within driving distance who came despite the 1-6 record. And, BYU needs more ECU, not more LSU, on future schedules.

This offseason, Holmoe HAS to figure out how to get a bigger budget for the football staff. We need to pay to bring in coaches that have experience and a history of success. I'm not calling to fire Kilani or Ty just yet. But, we need position coaches who can help our players improve, not digress.

While I don't think BYU or Kilani really gain anything by a mid-season firing, I would like to see if anything would change if Kilani took over the DC responsibilities down the stretch.