CB Isaiah Herron commits

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
BOID
Junior
Posts: 666
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:52 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: CB Isaiah Herron commits

Post by BOID » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:35 pm

I have faith in Ty. It's a whole new culture when you change all the coaches (except for one defense position coach). I recall that Ty's high school team had big losses for it's first few years under Ty. Look at how badly Bronco's Cavaliers sucked for his first year there.

Another thing, is that BYU's legacy is huge. It is still, bigger than the Utes,' and bigger than BSU's. The next winning season will cause the public to remember the legacy, and to forget the losing season.

True fans will be patient, and loyal. BYU's sponsors/donors will stay home.

Just my two cents.
Last edited by BOID on Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Jarhead
Junior
Posts: 782
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:38 am
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: CB Isaiah Herron commits

Post by Jarhead » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:56 pm

This is Bronco's second season at Virginia.

Regarding your main point, I have no problem being patient over a two to three year transition period. My problem is that I have seen 0 signs that we are headed in the right direction as a program. Usually there are at least some silver linings, but this season so far has not had any. This Saturday's game will hopefully demonstrate whether there is any reason to hope or if the ship has truly sunk.

User avatar
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Posts: 12047
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:35 am
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner
Location: Eagle Mountain, UT
Contact:

Re: CB Isaiah Herron commits

Post by hawkwing » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:13 pm

The difference is, of course that the current BYU staff inherited an extremely healthy program with a culture of winning.

I also find the comments that the fault lies with Mangum, who is obviously not a very good QB. But last year he was the clear answer and was the guy who would be able to run the pro style offense best. I mean, if a 4 star, co-elite 11 mvp can't run a pro style offense who can?

User avatar
Fido
Heisman Winner
Posts: 2017
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:28 am
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: CB Isaiah Herron commits

Post by Fido » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:25 pm

So much for keeping this on topic. 😆

BOID
Junior
Posts: 666
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:52 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: CB Isaiah Herron commits

Post by BOID » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:43 pm

For the first year, the old system was kept in place, so that a senior QB could hit the ground running. Remember, T Hill was returning from an injury that would have slowed his transition to the new offense (iirc, he was sitting out spring camp, 2016). Hill also had a blue chip senior RB in the backfield with him. So that was still the old system, run by Bronco-era veterans. Therefore, Detmer's' real honeymoon is starting this year, not last.

Sorry to belabor the obvious, but I don't want to see everyone bail on Detmer too soon. I think he is going to be big for us.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Posts: 5485
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:02 pm
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: CB Isaiah Herron commits

Post by frdbtr » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:16 am

BOID wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:43 pm
For the first year, the old system was kept in place, so that a senior QB could hit the ground running. Remember, T Hill was returning from an injury that would have slowed his transition to the new offense (iirc, he was sitting out spring camp, 2016). Hill also had a blue chip senior RB in the backfield with him. So that was still the old system, run by Bronco-era veterans. Therefore, Detmer's' real honeymoon is starting this year, not last.

Sorry to belabor the obvious, but I don't want to see everyone bail on Detmer too soon. I think he is going to be big for us.
This is not a Detmer thing. Detmer isn't the problem here, he is part of it but not the whole problem. BYU could fire detmer tomorrow and hire a new Ocoordinator and the program would continue to spiral out of control. The program set up by Sitake is failing because it was set up to fail. It will continue to fail until a program change is made. IMO, this will not be fixed until the current coaches from top to bottom are replaced with guys who know how to set up and run a winning program.

User avatar
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Posts: 5558
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:23 pm
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: CB Isaiah Herron commits

Post by Gunk » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:53 pm

We hired a guy that's never been a head coach.

We hired a DC that's never been a DC.

We hired an OC that's never coached at the college level.

We hired a WR coach with a proven record of incompetence.

We hired an RB coach that's never coached.

We hired a OL coach who reached his apex 20 years ago.

And people wonder why we aren't performing? Does this staff have the potential to be great? Maybe. But to Hawk's point, there are no signs of improvement and the competition has gotten worse.
Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel

User avatar
vancouvercougar
All-American
Posts: 1435
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:36 pm
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner
Location: Vancouver Wa

Re: CB Isaiah Herron commits

Post by vancouvercougar » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:43 am

Gunk wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:53 pm
We hired a guy that's never been a head coach.

We hired a DC that's never been a DC.

We hired an OC that's never coached at the college level.

We hired a WR coach with a proven record of incompetence.

We hired an RB coach that's never coached.

We hired a OL coach who reached his apex 20 years ago.

And people wonder why we aren't performing? Does this staff have the potential to be great? Maybe. But to Hawk's point, there are no signs of improvement and the competition has gotten worse.
I was worried last year about all that inexperience. Then the cougars had a decent season--even the 4 losses were by a total of 8 points with 3 games decided in the last minute. At that point I thought that this staff had talent in spite of the inexperience. How the heck did the wheels come off this bus tis year?

User avatar
vancouvercougar
All-American
Posts: 1435
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:36 pm
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner
Location: Vancouver Wa

Re: CB Isaiah Herron commits

Post by vancouvercougar » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:45 am

To get back on point--Welcome to BYU Isaiah! We hope you have a great career in Provo.

User avatar
mtnradio
Junior
Posts: 643
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:29 am
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: CB Isaiah Herron commits

Post by mtnradio » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:05 pm

vancouvercougar wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:45 am
To get back on point--Welcome to BYU Isaiah! We hope you have a great career in Provo.
And please try to ignore all the negative nellies who get off topic so they can complain ...
In the cause of improving the human condition,throughout the history of man, Socialism has never succeeded and Freedom has never failed.

Post Reply