CB Isaiah Herron commits

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: CB Isaiah Herron commits

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Some of you are either millenials or are acting like millenials. Grow some thicker skin. Sheesh.
What the freak are you talking about blue42? This is the only site I go to. You better bring something better than that.
Some of you need to put up or shut up. Put your money where your mouth is and pony up some money to cougar club. I bleed as blue as any of you.
And ABYUFAN, do you have a reading deficiency? I even explained it twice. I got nothing against the 1 & 2* guys. It's the coaches and their lack of discipline, execution, passion and results that is leading to a pending recruiting crisis that will take three to four years to recover from. That's the whole point. Pay attention or don't bother responding. This isn't Sunday school.
And if you need concrete evidence of this pending recruiting crisis take a look at the thread on Jordon Pendleton tweeting he woulndt come!!

TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Junior

Post by TulaneVandyRiceCoug »

Meh. BYU in a down year. I think it will be fixed and we win out, and then the offseason will have a few changes, then 2018 will be much better.

The injuries are horrifying this year, but I think it will prove to offer better depth, and when a recruut is excited to come to the Y, then he gets a chance at to excel. Who cares the ranking or stars.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

TulaneVandyRiceCoug wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:16 am Meh. BYU in a down year. I think it will be fixed and we win out, and then the offseason will have a few changes, then 2018 will be much better.

The injuries are horrifying this year, but I think it will prove to offer better depth, and when a recruut is excited to come to the Y, then he gets a chance at to excel. Who cares the ranking or stars.
I like your positive attitude. I would share it if I had seen anything this year that would lead me to believe that this team has the capability of beating anyone other than a horrible Portland state team. I think it would take a major improvement to beat a bad ECU team this weekend. I hope I see it. Maybe it would get the ball rolling and we would see some wins. I just don't see it. I think we will be lucky to win 2 more games this year. I don't think we win any of our road games.

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

Cougs_Rule wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:23 pm Some of you are either millenials or are acting like millenials. Grow some thicker skin. Sheesh.
What the freak are you talking about blue42? This is the only site I go to. You better bring something better than that.
Some of you need to put up or shut up. Put your money where your mouth is and pony up some money to cougar club. I bleed as blue as any of you.
And ABYUFAN, do you have a reading deficiency? I even explained it twice. I got nothing against the 1 & 2* guys. It's the coaches and their lack of discipline, execution, passion and results that is leading to a pending recruiting crisis that will take three to four years to recover from. That's the whole point. Pay attention or don't bother responding. This isn't Sunday school.
And if you need concrete evidence of this pending recruiting crisis take a look at the thread on Jordon Pendleton tweeting he woulndt come!!
Yeah--everyone else is the problem here. How about you turn the douche down a bit instead of lashing out at fellow fans that don't embrace your negativity? Just because you can be a total dick doesn't mean you should and everyone else should "put up or shut up".

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

FWIW, this was the take of a guy from the Las Vegas area:
He also had offers from Weber St. and SDSU. Funny how UNLV never offered. Any way, he is a fantastic DB. A true shutdown corner. Hurt his shoulder midway through the year and missed 4 games. He returned to play last week. He is a real good pick up for the Cougars.

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

247 sport's article on him: https://247sports.com/Article/Three-sta ... -109114698

When thinking about his college choice, Isaiah Herron looked past the on-field struggles at Brigham Young, past the program's current six-game losing streak and way beyond the now.

The three-star cornerback from Las Vegas (Nev.) Arbor View announced his decision to commit to the Cougars on Tuesday night, and told 247Sports he wasn't worried about this season or what it might suggest about the trajectory of the team.

"BYU fit everything I was looking for as a school from an education standpoint and style of play," Herron said. "The defense is really strong and the coaches are good people. They have a brotherhood there and I would love to be a part of that. It made my decision a lot easier.

"I've been in contact mostly with coach (Ed) Lamb and we've been growing our relationship. Being able project playing time early on really helped me make my decision. That played a big role as well."

The 6-foot-1, 175-pound prospect is rangy and long, and flashes good straight-line speed to keep up with receivers down field. In a game earlier this season against San Diego State-bound three-star receiver Elijah Kothe, Herron turned in a very good performance to essentially shut down his side of the field. He looked poised in and out of breaks and handled one-on-one scenarios well.

"They have been recruiting me at cornerback with some possibility of safety," Herron said. "I see myself in that spot. That's my bread and butter. I've been trying to critique off that and growing in man-to-man. It's all I've been doing."

Herron plans to visit Provo in December to get a feel for the atmosphere and see how the program operates day to day.

"I've been in contact with a few of the young guys that are there and I got to form a relationship with them," Herron said. "I've got a feeling they're building something that not a lot of people are seeing right now. I've gotten a taste of it, so I want to be a part of that."

Southern Utah and Weber State had also offered Herron, with the likes of UNLV, California, Utah and Colorado also expressing some interest.

ABYUFAN
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by ABYUFAN »

Cougs_Rule wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:23 pm And ABYUFAN, do you have a reading deficiency? I even explained it twice. I got nothing against the 1 & 2* guys. It's the coaches and their lack of discipline, execution, passion and results that is leading to a pending recruiting crisis that will take three to four years to recover from. That's the whole point. Pay attention or don't bother responding. This isn't Sunday school.
WHAT?!?! THIS ISN"T SUNDAY SCHOOL?!?!? CRAP - I'M IN THE WRONG PLACE!!!!!!!!

*quickly exits and runs down the hall

snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by snoscythe »

I thought the injuries were always Bronco's fault for his cutting-edge strength and conditioning programme or for not teaching QBs to avoid any and all contact?

cougarnerd
Sophomore

Post by cougarnerd »

TulaneVandyRiceCoug wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:16 am Meh. BYU in a down year. I think it will be fixed and we win out, and then the offseason will have a few changes, then 2018 will be much better.

I don't believe this is necessarily a single down year, but neither do I believe it's the Titanic either. Yes, the injuries hurt, and yes, we're not mentally tough --> physical on the field, but Tanner doesn't really fit the system well. He can hit a guy on the money if he's open; he just struggles with pro-style offense. If he or another QB can learn to check down on receivers, our offense would markedly improve. However, that might necessitate a better offensive line...unless 2-3 TEs w/ 2-3 BIG, strong athletic running backs could make the difference and spread out the defense.

Last year, Jamaal and Squally were both awesome. Then Jamaal gets hurt, and Squally is THE guy. Against Boise State, Squally did fine...but no one else could. With both guys healthy & in, we have the depth to maintain a strong running game, maybe we win. This year, we have only Tolutau, and he's a freshman...not dissing his athleticism, but he did have two or three fumbles (two lost) vs Utah State. If we have an extra guy like him/Jamaal who both have good ball security, that would establish a strong rushing attack.

I don't know why Squally isn't as good this year. He was good vs Portland State, but otherwise mostly non-existent. He even missed MSU. Maybe he needs either another good RB or a good passing game to spread the LBs/DBs or keep the defense from spying on him.

I think that the QB learning curve might take another year or two (and maybe Critchlow and/or Wilstead know the system and can play it), then we rely on TEs until we can recruit bigger & better O-linemen. With the linemen we have and dynamic RBs and TEs with a QB who can get the ball out there, especially with the deep ball threat, we would likely have 4-5 wins this year. Close losses to LSU, Wisc, and/or Miss State, wins vs Utah, Utah State, and Boise State.

LOYAL STRONG & TRUE
blue42
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by blue42 »

Cougs_Rule wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:23 pm Some of you are either millenials or are acting like millenials. Grow some thicker skin. Sheesh.
Well I guess that was my mistake for thinking someone on courgarboard that has the same board name as you do here would be a different person, but If you think my comment was because I have thin skin... that's funny! I don't know how you concluded I have thin skin when I commented everyone on cougarboard currently whines like a stuck pig about everything BYU football and are extremely negative. So if you have never been to cougarboard I apologize, and give you full credit for coming up with all of your negativity on your own.

By the way, I really don't know what am I supposed to bring, are we doing a pot luck? I make killer rolls.