Woo hoo! BYU is FAVORED in a game

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Woo hoo! BYU is FAVORED in a game

Post by frdbtr »

vancouvercougar wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:47 am The ECU defense gives up an average of 48 to 50 points per game. If we can run against them (without fumbling) we can win this going away.
If you can believe that ECU is better than Portland state, then you have to be worried about this game.

Jarhead
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Jarhead »

snoscythe wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:34 am
vancouvercougar wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:47 am The ECU defense gives up an average of 48 to 50 points per game. If we can run against them (without fumbling) we can win this going away.
Yeah, but BYU scores 20 on piss-poor FCS teams.

This isn't a battle between an unstoppable force and an immovable object. It's a sword fight between two overcooked strands of spaghetti.
Where is the "+1" button when you need it?

vancouvercougar
All-American

Post by vancouvercougar »

frdbtr wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:27 pm
If you can believe that ECU is better than Portland state, then you have to be worried about this game.
Frankly, I'm worried about every game now.

tmoney35
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by tmoney35 »

Yeah, that whole fumbling thing is getting ridiculous. It fits with the narrative for this year though that our one RB that can get consistent yards can't hold on to the football.

I do think we win this game because I do think our offense has improved, at least slightly, since the start of the year. Remember, against LSU, the offense didn't even cross the 50 and had 97 total yards. Against MSU we doubled the total offense and scored 10 points.

I realize that's still terrible, but I'm stretching for silver linings here!

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

tmoney35 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:15 pm
Yeah, that whole fumbling thing is getting ridiculous. It fits with the narrative for this year though that our one RB that can get consistent yards can't hold on to the football.

I do think we win this game because I do think our offense has improved, at least slightly, since the start of the year. Remember, against LSU, the offense didn't even cross the 50 and had 97 total yards. Against MSU we doubled the total offense and scored 10 points.

I realize that's still terrible, but I'm stretching for silver linings here!
When BYU got the crap kicked out of them by USU, I decided that we will be lucky to win 2 more games. Everyone in the local media is talking about winning out. That isn't going to happen unless we see an entirely different team this weekend whether that is due to weaker competition or they finally figure out how to prepare the team to win, I don't know, but what we have seen so far doesn't inspire confidence in their ability to win against anyone.

cougarnerd
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by cougarnerd »

SpiffCoug wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:22 pm
hawkwing wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:44 pm 6.5 points against the 130th ranked defense in the country. Of course, having the worst offense, that is probably more than fair. Not sure Cougars will cover the spread for the first time this year.
Traditionally a good defense beats a good offense. Does the reverse also hold true? An abysmal defense beats an atrocious offense?
Depends on why each is bad. If the offense has 5 unforced turnovers a game, doesn't matter that they could run for 7 yards every play and throw for 15 every completion, they'll be turning the ball over, won't finish drives and won't score 70...maybe they score 20-30. If it's because the offense can't protect the QB, but the defense has no pass rush, then the offense should look fine.

I haven't examined film of ECU this year, don't know why they're bad, but I think that we should win. Don't know that we will cover the spread, but we should come out with at least a 3-4 point win.

LOYAL STRONG & TRUE
cougarnerd
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by cougarnerd »

Jarhead wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:05 pm
snoscythe wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:34 am
Yeah, but BYU scores 20 on piss-poor FCS teams.

This isn't a battle between an unstoppable force and an immovable object. It's a sword fight between two overcooked strands of spaghetti.
Where is the "+1" button when you need it?
This isn't Facebook. :D

LOYAL STRONG & TRUE