Loyalty to BYU or Individuals?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
vancouvercougar
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Loyalty to BYU or Individuals?

Post by vancouvercougar »

frdbtr wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:16 pm
Jarhead wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:41 pm
BroncoBot wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:41 pm I'd rather cheer for the utes than a hypocritical BYU.
I agree with this 100%
I disagree. First how do you know it is hypocrisy. Sinning isn't always hypocrisy. Second of all, I will never cheer for the utes even if they were the last team on earth.
If they were the last team on earth, I'd hope they had a scrimmage in which they battled to a 0 to 0 tie and most of the players beat themselves up. I wouldn't watch it, but I'd read about it later. :evil:

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

vancouvercougar wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:22 pm
BroncoBot wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:41 pm I'd rather cheer for the utes than a hypocritical BYU.
I agree with this 100%
I disagree. First how do you know it is hypocrisy. Sinning isn't always hypocrisy. Second of all, I will never cheer for the utes even if they were the last team on earth.
If they were the last team on earth, I'd hope they had a scrimmage in which they battled to a 0 to 0 tie and most of the players beat themselves up. I wouldn't watch it, but I'd read about it later. :evil:
Exactly!! :D

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

I agree with this 100%
It's not the sinning that would be hypocritical, it would be the covering it up, or calling it OK or even good by BYU.

BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BroncoBot »

hawkwing wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:35 pm
I agree with this 100%
It's not the sinning that would be hypocritical, it would be the covering it up, or calling it OK or even good by BYU.
This was the exact point I was making. I actually wont ever cheer for the Utes, but BYU having an honor code and pretending to live by it while allowing certain individuals privileges in the name of getting football wins would be unacceptable to me. I'd rather cheer for Utah than support a hypocritical program.

Sins and stupidity can be overcome. Corrective steps must be taken, even if losses are the result. Nothing I like more than a redemption story though.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

BroncoBot wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:57 pm
hawkwing wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:35 pm
I agree with this 100%
This was the exact point I was making. I actually wont ever cheer for the Utes, but BYU having an honor code and pretending to live by it while allowing certain individuals privileges in the name of getting football wins would be unacceptable to me. I'd rather cheer for Utah than support a hypocritical program.

Sins and stupidity can be overcome. Corrective steps must be taken, even if losses are the result. Nothing I like more than a redemption story though.
I agree with this completely. Stated much clearer than your first post. :)

vancouvercougar
All-American

Post by vancouvercougar »

I have a hard time cheering for a hypocritical BYU, but if there were no sports at BYU there are a lot of local teams I could cheer for— and I don’t live in Utah