Loyalty to BYU or Individuals?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Loyalty to BYU or Individuals?

Post by frdbtr »

Mars wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:02 am Don't worry, there are rumors about the basketball team having off-court problems too.
Until it happens it is only a rumor. Plus this is the football forum.

BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BroncoBot »

Cougs_Rule wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:56 am Joy. Can't wait to hear more bad news. I'm not sure a "sinking ship" or a "dumpster fire" are adequate metaphors. They may actually be spot on. Usually there is some hyperbolic requirement that exceeds reality in capturing the gravity or magnitude. In such a case what is worse than a sinking ship? Should probably go with something like--
Entering an Ice Age
Beginning of a Dark Age
Or just straight up....
E.L.E.? :D
This is depressing and tears me up for Kalani. Seems like an awesome dude and it's too bad that players will do stuff like this that reflects poorly on him. Makes you realize that BYU is such a difficult place to coach where you are not only the coach but have to keep the honor code in the back of your mind constantly. There can't be a tougher place to coach.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

BroncoBot wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:41 am
Cougs_Rule wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:56 am Joy. Can't wait to hear more bad news. I'm not sure a "sinking ship" or a "dumpster fire" are adequate metaphors. They may actually be spot on. Usually there is some hyperbolic requirement that exceeds reality in capturing the gravity or magnitude. In such a case what is worse than a sinking ship? Should probably go with something like--
Entering an Ice Age
Beginning of a Dark Age
Or just straight up....
This is depressing and tears me up for Kalani. Seems like an awesome dude and it's too bad that players will do stuff like this that reflects poorly on him. Makes you realize that BYU is such a difficult place to coach where you are not only the coach but have to keep the honor code in the back of your mind constantly. There can't be a tougher place to coach.
People complained that Bronco was too much like a mission president, but that's really what LaVell was too, and basically the only way you'll succeed at BYU is to model along those lines.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

hawkwing wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:44 am
Entering an Ice Age
Beginning of a Dark Age
Or just straight up....
People complained that Bronco was too much like a mission president, but that's really what LaVell was too, and basically the only way you'll succeed at BYU is to model along those lines.
I'd be very surprised if KS, at least to some degree, hasn't used the same approach. He's definitely got a tough row to hoe.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

BroncoBot wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:13 pm
hawkwing wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:44 am
Entering an Ice Age
Beginning of a Dark Age
Or just straight up....
I'd be very surprised if KS, at least to some degree, hasn't used the same approach. He's definitely got a tough row to hoe.
From what I have heard, no, he hasn't used the same approach at all. He went in with a completely flawed understanding of the role that LaVell used and thought that it was his role to be the players best friend. It's like that mom whose parenting technique is to be best friends with her teenage daughter and that never ends well, as we can see.

pikoi
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by pikoi »

See the Toluta'u news? That was one of them. I wasn't going to make it public, but now that someone else has...

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

pikoi wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:53 am See the Toluta'u news? That was one of them. I wasn't going to make it public, but now that someone else has...
Sheesh. What the heck is going on at BYU.
Getting harder to defent Kalani unfortunately. Seems the guy is running out of excuses. Definitely not a good look for BYU football. Sad that so many 18-24 year olds need constant supervision or they are going to push every limit possible. If the football program has turned into a bunch of drinking sex seeking athletes, burn it down. I'd rather cheer for the utes than a hypocritical BYU.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Word is more guys are drinking, more guys are smoking pot, and the football team GPA just hit a 40-year low. Exactly the type of thing that can get a BYU coach fired.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Jarhead
All-American

Post by Jarhead »

BroncoBot wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:41 pm I'd rather cheer for the utes than a hypocritical BYU.
I agree with this 100%

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

Jarhead wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:41 pm
BroncoBot wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:41 pm I'd rather cheer for the utes than a hypocritical BYU.
I agree with this 100%
I disagree. First how do you know it is hypocrisy. Sinning isn't always hypocrisy. Second of all, I will never cheer for the utes even if they were the last team on earth.