QB Leash

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: QB Leash

Post by SpiffCoug »

Just my completely uninformed two cents, but I don't think Beau is ever coming back.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

SpiffCoug wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:23 pm Just my completely uninformed two cents, but I don't think Beau is ever coming back.
You very well may be right.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Jarhead
All-American

Post by Jarhead »

Putting a brand new qb in for a single possession at the end of a game has very little benefit. If they want to give Critchlow a real chance, they need to at least give him a full quarter to show something.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougs_Rule »

The benefit to Joe and the team is that he got some snaps, insignificant as they mayhave been. That way, when Tanner goes down with an injury or just plays double down awful, Joe's first snaps won't be during a critical junction in the game.
Folks are too invested in the red shirt. He is the number two quarterback at this point. So many have criticized coaching staff's in the past for not giving back up minutes to prepare quarterbacks. So why criticize that now? Other than, like the majority of us, all we feel like doing is criticizing and trying to conjecture solutions.
Sirius Lee, why is everyone so invested in saving that red shirt? Look at the statistical probability a BYU quarterback getting hurt and replaced in the last four years. It must be at least 60% likelihood, if there were someway to actually quantify that. At least the coaches deserve some credit for illuminating Detmer as a back up quarterback.

Jarhead
All-American

Post by Jarhead »

Cougs_Rule wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:11 am The benefit to Joe and the team is that he got some snaps, insignificant as they mayhave been. That way, when Tanner goes down with an injury or just plays double down awful, Joe's first snaps won't be during a critical junction in the game.
Folks are too invested in the red shirt. He is the number two quarterback at this point. So many have criticized coaching staff's in the past for not giving back up minutes to prepare quarterbacks. So why criticize that now? Other than, like the majority of us, all we feel like doing is criticizing and trying to conjecture solutions.
Sirius Lee, why is everyone so invested in saving that red shirt? Look at the statistical probability a BYU quarterback getting hurt and replaced in the last four years. It must be at least 60% likelihood, if there were someway to actually quantify that. At least the coaches deserve some credit for illuminating Detmer as a back up quarterback.
I think the sentiment is the opposite. The majority would have liked to see Joe get a lot more snaps than he did these last two games. We are criticizing the coaching staff for not doing more to prepare the backup and to keep an injured Mangum on the bench. The few snaps that he got were not enough to be meaningful, and I would argue they will do almost nothing to help his learning curve in the future. That is where the argument about the redshirt comes in. If you are only playing a guy for a couple of garbage snaps (instead of playing him significantly more like you should), than you might as well save the redshirt.

ABYUFAN
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by ABYUFAN »

Mars wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:18 pm
SpiffCoug wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:23 pm Just my completely uninformed two cents, but I don't think Beau is ever coming back.
You very well may be right.
Is thee more of a story to this?

Or, stated another way - why?

Thanks

CrimsonCoug
Senior

Post by CrimsonCoug »

I agree with that last point. If we just need a QB to play garbage snaps, Detmer jr is perfectly adept in that role. My understanding was that they pulled Mangum out a the end of BSU because the Broncos were sending all-out blitz and were really threatening a hobbled Mangum with further injury. Hoge wasn't available, so they went down the depth chart. Because they didn't give Critchlow any meaningful snaps that would have developed him, putting him in tells me that
1. Detmer Jr will never see another snap at BYU -or-
2. They didn't think it through
As I write them off, I wish the whole team the best of luck. As miserable as this has been as a fan, I can't imagine how awful it is as a player and coach.
I'm still a fan, but I'm a fan for entertainment purposes, and it's not terribly entertaining now and won't be for the balance of the season. I wish them luck in working out this mess, whether it be through increasing experience for coaches, training up Kalani's recruits, or turning over the coaching staff in whole or in part. All are beyond my ability to influence--even by complaining or pointing out flaws in approach, technique, or game plan.
I'm just glad there isn't a rape case hanging over the team like the last time we had a miserable season.
As ever, Go Cougars!

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Putting Critchlow in was the last-straw for me and caring about the team this season.

I just can't make sense of it, which leads me to conclude that the coaches are panicking or clueless.

Call me fair-weather, but I've skipped watching a few games this season, and I think I'm happier for it.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

snoscythe wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:58 am Putting Critchlow in was the last-straw for me and caring about the team this season.

I just can't make sense of it, which leads me to conclude that the coaches are panicking or clueless.

Call me fair-weather, but I've skipped watching a few games this season, and I think I'm happier for it.
I think they are panicking and they are clueless.

Cougarfan87
All-American

Post by Cougarfan87 »

My guess is the Hoge is gone. His dad was very vocal about concussions, and he may have decided it just isn't worth it. Time will tell. I also guess that Detmer Jr. will never play another snap...barring injury to Mangum and Critchlow. I agree that you don't throw Critchlow to the wolves in Missippi State. I think the plan was leave Magnum in until the game is out of hand. Then let Critchlow play against Mississippi State reserves. Then at any point in our future schedule, if Mangum just really doesn't have it, even against inferior talent, Critchlow comes in and begins what may be four years of starting QB. If Mangum does figure it out, well then you can always redshirt Critchlow next year.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.